Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New NHRA Pure Street rules ..11.50 (even verts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 09:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New NHRA Pure Street rules ..11.50 (even verts)

Check out the announcement at nhra.com

http://www.nhra.com/2004/news/june/062202.html
Old 06-22-2004, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

When does this go into effect?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Nitrous Oxide
Prohibited. The use of nitrous oxide will deem the vehicle non-street-legal and car will be classified under E.T. Handicap Racing rules.
well, guess it doesnt apply to me
Old 06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:18 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's great news for a lot of you guys. Only applies to what I percieve as stock cars with minimal exhaust modifications only and full factory trim and drag radials at the most. That should create some very interesting racing!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

"OEM production engine and transmission case and components must be as produced by OEM manufacturer for the particular vehicle application. All other engines and transmissions prohibited."

"Pure Stock Street Legal rules are specifically intended for street-legal vehicles that are production stock, as manufactured and sold by the original automobile manufacturer."

"The new rules, however, apply only to stock OEM-type production vehicles. Once any power adder or performance hardware is used, it then must follow the existing Summit E.T. safety requirements."

They are talking 100% stock cars here, only people who will benefit from this are stock convertibles and exotic car owners that can run in the 11's stock as I read it..
Old 06-23-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep.

Everyone told me that the NHRA wouldn't listen to a reasonable letter and petition.

Guess they were wrong.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car DOES NOT HAVE TO BE STOCK!!!! Don't gut the car, don't run a bottle, run a muffler, no slicks (ET Streets OK).
Old 06-23-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Too late for me though, I finally caved in and put in the rollbar.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

As I read it, no engine modifications. That puts me out. I commend them for finally doing this.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
As I read it, no engine modifications. That puts me out. I commend them for finally doing this.
NO NO NO

Street legal cars with internal engine mods are OK. No aftermarket blowers or bottles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6/22/2004
At NHRA's annual member track meetings last winter, one item discussed with track operators was the modernization of certain rules as they apply to street-legal cars that compete at NHRA member track street-legal events. The key question: "Why should E.T. bracket rules and regulations have to apply to newer, faster, yet safer pure-stock-type street-legal vehicles running at test-n-tune or street-legal events?"

The answer: NHRA believes the time has come, since the street-legal category is one of the fastest growing categories running weekly at NHRA member tracks throughout North America, to reevaluate and better define existing rules and regulations to match the improving levels of safety and performance in today's production vehicles.
NHRA's new Pure Stock class is for street-legal vehicles that run 11.50 seconds or slower. Pure Stock Street Legal rules are specifically intended for street-legal vehicles that are production stock, as manufactured and sold by the original automobile manufacturer.

Currently, all street-legal vehicles are governed by the same rules and regulations as those in the NHRA Summit Racing Series section of the NHRA Rulebook. While the E.T. rules can and do apply to street-legal cars that have been modified with certain performance enhancements, such rules may not necessarily fit today's OEM high-performance vehicles as produced by auto manufacturers.

"In looking at the types of vehicles being produced today by OEM manufacturers, it is apparent that high-performance vehicles are once again popular with buyers," explained Len Imbrogno, NHRA's director of Sportsman racing and member tracks. "Along with the increasing horsepower levels of today's performance vehicles comes a much higher level of engineering in structural design and safety features incorporated into the vehicles by the auto industry. It is therefore possible for us to now consider separate rules for pure-stock vehicles."

To that point, with input from NHRA member tracks, NHRA has finalized a set of rules for street-legal events that apply to any car considered to be purely stock and street legal. The new Pure Stock Street Legal rules and regulations can be integrated into existing street-legal categories by member tracks or run as a separate class. The new rules, however, apply only to stock OEM-type production vehicles. Once any power adder or performance hardware is used, it then must follow the existing Summit E.T. safety requirements. Otherwise, any pure-stock, street-legal car running 11.50 or slower (example: stock Dodge Viper) would be governed by the proposed new Pure Stock Street Legal rules, providing the vehicle remains completely OEM stock.

As an example, under existing Summit E.T. rules, a convertible running 13.99 and quicker must have a driveshaft loop and roll bar. Under the new rules, a pure-stock street-legal car will not require this equipment unless it runs 11.49 or quicker.
Vehicles must meet all state-highway safety requirements for the state in which the vehicle is registered, must be street driven, display valid license plates (or temporary permits), and have proof of vehicle registration and valid insurance.

"With a growing emphasis by local law-enforcement agencies to reduce street racing, NHRA's street-legal program has been an effective tool in the fight against illegal street racing," explained NHRA President Tom Compton. "Not only has the NHRA street-legal program helped in the fight against illegal street racing, but at the grassroots level, it also allows anyone wishing to participate in NHRA Drag Racing the opportunity to do so.

"The new Pure Stock Street Legal rules are a very important element for all NHRA member tracks to help grow their street-legal programs and another example of how we will continue to listen to input from our member tracks and react to their needs."

Within the framework of the street-legal category, the following technical rules and regulations will apply for Pure Stock Street Legal vehicles that run 11.50 or slower. Pure Stock Street Legal rules are specifically intended for street-legal vehicles that are production stock, as manufactured and sold by the original automobile manufacturer. For street-legal cars other than Pure Stock, tech rules and regulations are the same as those in the NHRA Summit Racing Series E.T. vehicle section of the NHRA Rulebook. Once any power adders or performance hardware are added to a Pure Stock Street Legal vehicle, it is then also classified as an E.T. vehicle

At street-legal events, only legitimate street-legal machines are permitted to participate. Though competition structure varies from track to track, the emphasis is on fun. A common street-legal venue will feature time trials and grudge racing only, which ensures each participant the opportunity for a maximum number of passes down the dragstrip. Grudge racing permits participants to choose their competition rather than participate in an organized eliminator. Once eliminated, a participant may return to the staging lanes for more time trials or grudge runs. Being eliminated at a street-legal event does not necessarily mean it's time to go home.

Pure Stock Street Legal Supplemental Rules
Vehicles must meet all state-highway safety requirements for the state in which the vehicle is registered and must remain as produced by the OEM manufacturer to be deemed an accepted street-legal vehicle. All vehicles must be street driven, display valid license plates (or temporary permits), and have proof of vehicle registration and valid insurance.
REQUIREMENTS & SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE
Engine/Transmission
OEM production engine and transmission case and components must be as produced by OEM manufacturer for the particular vehicle application. All other engines and transmissions prohibited.

Exhaust System
All vehicles must be equipped with mufflers and a functional exhaust system that extends at least behind the drivers' seat. Competition exhaust permitted. Exhaust must be directed out of car to rear, away from driver and fuel tank.

Fuel
Racing gasoline, gasoline, gasohol, diesel, ethanol, natural gas, and propane permitted. Nitromethane prohibited.

Fuel System/Battery
All batteries, fuel tanks, fuel lines, fuel pumps, or filler necks must retain stock OEM location as produced by the OEM manufacturer.

Liquid Overflow
Catch-can mandatory for coolant overflow; one-pint (16-ounce) minimum capacity.

Nitrous Oxide
Prohibited. The use of nitrous oxide will deem the vehicle non-street-legal and car will be classified under E.T. Handicap Racing rules.

Supercharger, Turbocharger
Original OEM supercharger or turbocharger permitted. Any non-OEM, high helix, or screw-type supercharger prohibited.

BRAKES & SUSPENSION
Brakes
Four-wheel OEM-style brake system mandatory.

Steering
Each car in competition must have sufficient positive front-end alignment to ensure proper handling of car at all speeds.

Suspension
All cars must have a full suspension system of the type produced by an automobile manufacturer (i.e. springs, torsion bars, etc.). Lightening of stock components prohibited. Rigid mounted suspensions prohibited.

TIRES & WHEELS
Tires
Street tires or DOT drag radials permitted. Racing slicks prohibited.

Wheels
Must be automotive-type wheels suitable for street use.

BODY
Body
Must have full top and windshield as produced by OEM manufacturer. All full-bodied cars must have two driver exits. Both doors must be functional from inside and outside on all full-bodied cars. Four stock-production fenders mandatory, body kits permitted.

Firewall
Mandatory, as produced by OEM manufacturer. Firewall may not be altered in any manner.

Hood
Mandatory.

Seats
Properly braced, framed, and supported OEM-style seats mandatory.

Windshield, Windows
Mandatory, as produced by OEM manufacturer only. Must be in good condition and free of cracks. Windshield/window tint must meet the applicable state requirements. Windows must be closed during races; need not be operable. Decals permitted on rear quarter and rear window only. Competition-number decals are permitted on any window or windshield.

ELECTRICAL
Batteries
Batteries must be securely mounted in stock OEM location only.

Ignition
OEM-designed ignition system permitted.

Headlights, Taillights
All lights must be operational.

SUPPORT GROUP
Computer
Computers installed on stock vehicles by the new-vehicle manufacturers for the proper operation of such vehicles are permitted. OEM electronic fuel injection permitted.

Electronics
The use of racing electronics (i.e. delay box, throttle stop, etc.) strictly prohibited.

Fire-extinguisher system
Permitted; must be securely mounted.

DRIVER
Credentials
Driver must have a valid unrestricted state- or government-issued driver's license, with no underage driving restrictions (i.e. supervised, provisional, etc.).

Driver Restraint System
Seat belt mandatory in all cars as produced by OEM manufacturer. Aftermarket driver-restraint systems with higher rating than OEM permitted.

Helmet Drivers in all 13.99 (8.59 eighth-mile) or quicker cars must wear a helmet meeting Snell 90, 95, K98, 2000 or SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A Specs.

Protective Clothing
All drivers are required to wear full-length pants, shoes, and socks. Nylon or nylon-type clothing and open-toe shoes prohibited. Shorts, bare legs, tank tops, or bare torsos prohibited.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

guess they need portable emissions testers to really get this done...

i mean a head and cam car isnt street legal technically if it doesnt pass smog...

in Ca it isnt street legal to put on Mid/Long Tube headers... and it is technically illegal to put in a cam... but I could do a 224 114 w/ tuning and pass emissions...

"OEM production engine and transmission case and components must be as produced by OEM manufacturer for the particular vehicle application."

to me the above statement interpets this way... if GM didnt make it for the LSx platform for my car, it isnt legal. So basically a hotcam and ls6 springs with stock pushrods is only thing legal.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

They aren't going to tear down your motor in tech. You will be running mufflers.

If it has the right motor in it, and doesn't look like a "race-only" car, you'll pass.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Err... Looks like ET Streets might be trouble. That's OK, there is ET Street radials now.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Whatever way they intepret that at my track, I plan to tell them my motor is stock.

I'm glad they're doing this because I dont even have the option of going to an IHRA track.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:56 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

I commend the NHRA for updating their antiquated rules. About time!
Old 06-23-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

TIRES & WHEELS
Tires
Street tires or DOT drag radials permitted. Racing slicks prohibited.
Pat, My ET Streets (26x10.5x15) are DOT approved! That is the loophole, they are not all out racing slicks and can be driven safely on the street.

As I understand it.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

The track owner at No Problem Raceway ,Pat Joffrion, said that he was one of the people that drafted the current rule. Now this is me talking not him but i think the rule was made to give the owners a little wiggle room. Its hard telling people that they can't run when they have a basic stock
car with headers and boltons. The rules allow performance exhaust and I know that they will not teardown someone so as not to let them run. My track owner has moved the break for Street class at NPR to 11.50 starting now. Frank95z
Old 06-23-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

woohooo...thats great to hear frank.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool rule...lets see how far guys stretch it? There are plenty of guys in the 11's within those guidelines that I know just from my area...not saying its safe though...I think these rules were meant mainly for ZO6's, vipers and the like that just need some tire & a good driver to get damn near 11's with a stock car. I definitly wouldnt want to see durien launching from 6 grand with a stock TA, no DS loop & a 12 bolt with 4.10 gears & have a driveshaft impale him...er lol maybe I do like this new rule lol

Quick Reply: New NHRA Pure Street rules ..11.50 (even verts)