Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me put this pig on a diet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Help me put this pig on a diet!

I've done almost everything in the "sticky" weight reduction list (probably around #275). Still haven't removed heater box. Time for the hole saw and cut-off wheel! Here is the car https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ld-thread.html
I still need seats and add the 8pt cage but want to do as much as possible until then (track only car).
Let's get crazy.....
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't read your thread but lighter wheels, smaller fuel cell, gun drill axles, star flange axles, aluminum nut and bolt everything non structural, no carpet, aluminum block, open headers, minimal wiring, one carbon fiber seat, all lexan glass, scrape out sealant on interior, aluminum motor plate instead of steel motor mounts, smaller radiator, rack and pinion steering, hole saw as much as you can, carbon fiber hood, fenders, deck lid, lighter brakes, aluminum dash, go on a diet yourself, light weight paint lol trying to go full retard here
Old 02-06-2017, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Come on guys....where all do I cut this thing up!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You could do the front frame horns. That's get you a decent amount of weight off the nose. If your class allows you to do that though. Look up studderin's book thread lol. Tons of pages on stuff he documented off his car. Thread is titled bitchin on a diet or something around those lines
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
You could do the front frame horns. That's get you a decent amount of weight off the nose. If your class allows you to do that though. Look up studderin's book thread lol. Tons of pages on stuff he documented off his car. Thread is titled bitchin on a diet or something around those lines
Do you mean where the front bumper support was/attached? I need to do that.
I have no "class", lol.
Thanks, I'll search it out.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
You were right...THAT is a BOOK! Some good info in there.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Once I got a cage I got rid of the door bars -15lbs, passenger airbag -15lbs, front + rear bumper supports -20lbs each. You can cut out inner fender supports -8lbs.

Lots of weight in the interior. Sound deadener everywhere, some you have to scrape out. Big bundle of wires on passenger side, it's all speaker, amp and antenna wire -4 or 5lbs.

Get some lightweight wheels and tires. Race stars are barely lighter than stock. Drag brakes/ light weight spindles will knock a big chunk off. Optic armor glass is a good chunk too. Should be able to get car weight down in the 27xx's.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Once I got a cage I got rid of the door bars -15lbs, passenger airbag -15lbs, front + rear bumper supports -20lbs each. You can cut out inner fender supports -8lbs.

Lots of weight in the interior. Sound deadener everywhere, some you have to scrape out. Big bundle of wires on passenger side, it's all speaker, amp and antenna wire -4 or 5lbs.

Get some lightweight wheels and tires. Race stars are barely lighter than stock. Drag brakes/ light weight spindles will knock a big chunk off. Optic armor glass is a good chunk too. Should be able to get car weight down in the 27xx's.
I do plan on the door bars after the cage goes in. Once I take off the dash (for cage install and heater box removal) I will do the pass air bag. I know there are more wires under there too. Already did the big wire bundle on pass side, amp, power antennae etc. (#16 ).
I know there is a ton of $$ weight reduction to go. Just trying to do the free stuff first.
Do you have a pic or write-up on the inner fender supports?
Thanks,
Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Come on guys....where all do I cut this thing up!
You dont "need" to cut your car up to trim down. You do need to spend some time, effort, and money on it. My car weighs 2970 with full interior, full exhaust, 18" chrome wheels, and nothing holesawed.........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

I do plan on the door bars after the cage goes in. Once I take off the dash (for cage install and heater box removal) I will do the pass air bag. I know there are more wires under there too. Already did the big wire bundle on pass side, amp, power antennae etc. (#16 ).
I know there is a ton of $$ weight reduction to go. Just trying to do the free stuff first.
Do you have a pic or write-up on the inner fender supports?
Thanks,
Think there is a few write ups on the inner fenders on here. Really not much to it. Once you pull the fenders off you will see what needs to be cut.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You dont "need" to cut your car up to trim down. You do need to spend some time, effort, and money on it. My car weighs 2970 with full interior, full exhaust, 18" chrome wheels, and nothing holesawed.........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html
I know, but it's too late for that now!. It IS a dedicated track only car. Time and effort are not a problem. Just not ready to drop the money on the light weight "parts" yet. The $$ items will come in time... I'm trying to get as light as possible to offset the 8pt. cage.
How in the hell are you that light with all that still in/on the car?
I know, I know,
Old 02-07-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know, but it's too late for that now!. It IS a dedicated track only car. Time and effort are not a problem. Just not ready to drop the money on the light weight "parts" yet. The $$ items will come in time... I'm trying to get as light as possible to offset the 8pt. cage.
How in the hell are you that light with all that still in/on the car?
I know, I know,
Its no secret, its all in the thread I linked. It gives you all the info.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to cut up the rear wells should be about +20lbs but I'm glad someone posted about this!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Studderin" is a member on here and did a lengthy write up called "Bitch on a Diet"..was useful for a lot of people

EDit- I know throughout the thread he weighed everything taken out and or replaced
Old 02-08-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28241
"Studderin" is a member on here and did a lengthy write up called "Bitch on a Diet"..was useful for a lot of people

EDit- I know throughout the thread he weighed everything taken out and or replaced
Thanks, that was mentioned earlier and I found it (all 50 pages). I'm still digging through it. Good info.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Heat ducts and all that stuff is a lot if you're track only car is going to stay that way there's a solid 20 lbs between the heater core and all that you can lose, just need the firewall plate and that's cheap.

If you want to cut the t top well, outer wells, all the sheet metal behind the rear plastics, roof above your head, can be Swiss cheesed out, front all the metal behind the front 1/4's can be cut out, the metal behind the dash can be as well, just make sure you leave the metal thee for the dash to be held in, make sure when your cage is done a dash bar is out in for safety, tieing it into the corners by the doors puts a lot of rigidity in.

Lots of cutting can be done to the tune of 250-300 lbs, but you will have to put some tin back in to close the trunk area for example back in.

With lightweight parts, an alum block and a good trans with light parts 2700 with a 8 of and an200 lb driver is possible but you're going to spend some money, like to the tune that you'll have 30k in the roller by the time you're done.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Hardware, no one ever looks at hardware to save weight.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I just took 7 lbs of stee bolts out and put 2 lbs of alum bolts in. Anything not suspension or safety related is now held on my car with alum fasteners.

All the grade 8 stuff is now as short as possible as well.

Between the 2 I think it's a touch under 10 lbs out.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, that was mentioned earlier and I found it (all 50 pages). I'm still digging through it. Good info.
I read that whole thread, its useful in collecting info and new ideas for weight savings.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I just took 7 lbs of stee bolts out and put 2 lbs of alum bolts in. Anything not suspension or safety related is now held on my car with alum fasteners.

All the grade 8 stuff is now as short as possible as well.

Between the 2 I think it's a touch under 10 lbs out.
Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Hardware, no one ever looks at hardware to save weight.

I did hardware on the hood and the lugs. Where else did you change? Any kits?

Quick Reply: Help me put this pig on a diet!