Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?

I've been working with AEI to get a custom engine plate made, but for some reason after several e-mails and phone calls, I haven't seem to be able to reach them. I would 100% go with their plate, but it's possible that maybe something that has happened that hasn't allowed the owner to respond back?

Either way, since the engine plate is the next biggest step in my project before I can move forward, I am looking to see if you guys have any recommendations on other engine plate makers that can do custom cuts to fit my application.

Let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Bob at aei is the man but you have to understand car stuff is what he does for fun. His shop does production runs to pay the bills. Not sure who else can help with this.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I clicked this link to say AEI too, I'm no help!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an ICT Billet front plate, and it is cut to fit. I have no experience with others. One thing you should investigate it is the plate is clearanced to clear the drivers side cylinder head. Ask the company. If they don't know what you're talking about, then they didn't clearance it. lol. The ICT's are not clearanced. Found that out the hard way.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I asked Bob too many questions and scared him off, which can be understandable haha.

Hardest part for me is finding an engine plate that has threads at the water pump mounts so I can run fittings for a remote pump. Most plates have the square openings, which I wouldn't be able to tap.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have anyway of making your own in the garage? It's a fun project. I did my from some 1/4 6061 material and made it span my strut towers
Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
Do you have anyway of making your own in the garage? It's a fun project. I did my from some 1/4 6061 material and made it span my strut towers
Do you have pictures of your plate? Any tips if I were to try making one myself?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

I can post some pics when I get home toniht
Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

I mean, I am all about making things myself. I just made my own custom 2500hp capable A2W intercooler. But when it comes to this, I would rather buy the ICT billet plate, and modify that one versus having to CAD draw out the timing cover, and get a blank plate waterjetted, etc. The ICT plate is cheap and would be a good starting point. It just needs a little work.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Here is a quick pic of my setup in progress.
Attached Thumbnails Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?-20170427_091537.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks pretty sweet. I think I am just going to have to make my own plate, since pretty much everyone I see who offers the front engine plates don't have threads for remote water pump fittings.

Most plates also look like they only mainly use the 3 10mm water pump bolts to hold each side of the engine. I'd probably want them to attach to more points around the alternator/cylinder heads as well, just for peace of mind really.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
Looks pretty sweet. I think I am just going to have to make my own plate, since pretty much everyone I see who offers the front engine plates don't have threads for remote water pump fittings.

Most plates also look like they only mainly use the 3 10mm water pump bolts to hold each side of the engine. I'd probably want them to attach to more points around the alternator/cylinder heads as well, just for peace of mind really.
Don, I guess I am a little confused, wouldn't your water pump adapter bolt in to the bolt holes the same as a factory water pump does? If so, there shouldnt be a problem. The plate just get's sandwiched by the bolt stretch/torque of the water pump bolts. Something I am going to do (Havent done it yet) is, I am going to purchase ARP's water pump bolts for LS. They are only like $22 or something. This will give me more piece of mind that the engine is sitting on 6 relatively small bolts. If that helps you.

For example, this kit would still work, although you may just have to buy slightly longer bolts is all.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's true that I can just buy the adaptors, but this is going to go into a swap, which I don't have much forward room (talking about a few inches), so if I can gain space in any way I'm going to try to go for that first.

Also, the adaptors from what I've found all almost cost as much as the mounting plate itself haha.

One last reason is also the simple I can make it the better. Less gaskets and pieces will mean less places that water can leak out from, etc.

For the steel bolts, I'm not really worried about them breaking as much as the extra stress that the smaller aluminum threads on the block may have to deal with. Probably a moot point anyways, cause if everyone are just using the water pump bolts, then it probably means it has to work.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry. Got sidetracked last night

Like you I wanted all the bolts. And even made an angle bracket for the lower passenger side that catches two block bolts and the engine plate and made some spacers for the passenger head

Here are my construction pics. I made a template from the timing cover gasket to route it into the plate itself. A small trim router will work and I bet you can field cut the depth which is like .045 iirc for the drivers head

1/4 inch alum should be more than plenty to tap for an oring boss fitting for the water jackets. I've since installed the Mezzire street pump and love it

To seal the plate to the block, I used my diegrinder and cut in like an oring groove around each port and installed it with black rtv silicone. No leaks in 1.5 years

Edit, I also did a mid plate from 3/16 alum. It bolts to the subframe and the upper firewall area. My ish is locked in there good!
Attached Thumbnails Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?-img_0598.png   Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?-img_0596.png   Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?-img_0597.png   Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?-img_0599.png  

Last edited by Nathaninwa; 04-27-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry. Got sidetracked last night

Like you I wanted all the bolts. And even made an angle bracket for the lower passenger side that catches two block bolts and the engine plate and made some spacers for the passenger head

Here are my construction pics. I made a template from the timing cover gasket to route it into the plate itself. A small trim router will work and I bet you can field cut the depth which is like .045 iirc for the drivers head

1/4 inch alum should be more than plenty to tap for an oring boss fitting for the water jackets. I've since installed the Mezzire street pump and love it

To seal the plate to the block, I used my diegrinder and cut in like an oring groove around each port and installed it with black rtv silicone. No leaks in 1.5 years

Edit, I also did a mid plate from 3/16 alum. It bolts to the subframe and the upper firewall area. My ish is locked in there good!
Nice job. Yeah, I have a midplate on mine as well. Just a 0.090" steel plate. But still works very well.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

That plate looks awesome Nathan. What are the bolts attached to on the bottom passenger side there?

I made my template today and going to go to the local water jet guy to see if they can cut it based on my drawing/template.

One thing I noticed is that the water pump openings are roughly 1.25" in diameter. However, it seems like most people use -12an or 3/4" fittings on there? Is that too restrictive or what is the consensus on that?

-Don
Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

The lower passenger side is a piece of 2x5 angle like 2-1/2 tall that bolts to what I think is tue old air conditioning tensioner mount are on the block. There is actually three tapped holes down there

I think -12 is fine, I feel the restriction in the thermostat is greater, along with the head gaskets
Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

The lower passenger side is a piece of 2x5 angle like 2-1/2 tall that bolts to what I think is tue old air conditioning tensioner mount are on the block. There is actually three tapped holes down there

I think -12 is fine, I feel the restriction in the thermostat is greater, along with the head gaskets
I ended up making my own plate. However, I was wondering, how did you tap the threads on your plate. Are they NPT with the taper on there or did you use some other type of tap?

I want to do a NPT tap, but not sure how I can properly get the taper to tap on there.

Quick Reply: Who to go with for custom cut engine plate?