Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portable timing systems ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Portable timing systems ?

Anyone ever bought or used such things ?

There are no drag strips where I live, only a crappy airfield or two ( and possible use of a short circuit at a push )

The guy who does put on a few events in the year....every ******* time his timing gear doesnt work. He seems to use a Race America wireless system

Wireless would be preferred for logistical reasons, but ultimately something reliable and affordable that a small group of us could buy to use.

Would be quite happy with 60fts, ET and trap, with whatever printer etc is required for slips. Or if the software can just print the info of all run data on a single sheet etc.
Timing display boards would be great to have too, or to be added later depending on cost.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be more concerned with consistent distances.. meaning, I'd be more concerned that 60' is 60'.. 330' is 330' and so on.

I've seen the systems before, but never priced or used any of them.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Measuring wouldnt be a problem, and nobody is setting any records here.

As an example, the last event here was March....and the timing gear didnt work.

The most recent was last Sunday, and the timing gear didnt work. He sent some of it away 2 weeks ago back to the US for repairs, knowing this event which is one of the bigger ones here was coming up.

Like WTF ? Did he think it as going to get there, repaired and posted back in under 2 weeks ?

So this event ran with ET's only, no 60fts, no traps and only a single staging beam.

The times I think were fairly ok ( I always use VBox anyway ) but really, it was a pile of **** and few were happy.

And then he even passed comment when people complained about it, that most people didnt care about times as they never bothered to get their slips
WTF would they want slips with **** all on them lol

He really doesnt get it at all.

Something has to change, and there do seem to be a few places selling timing gear, but it's still a fair outlay would like to see if there is some feedback for the cheaper systems that might allow us to get started
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There might be options to rent or lease equipment. I know Port-a-tree is a common company that does race track timing.