Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's running a two-step on an auto with no transbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Who's running a two-step on an auto with no transbrake?

Just wired mine up (works in the garage - untested at track). Was wondering, in theory, since it is making 1/2 the power can I set rpm higher than what I typically can hold just foot braking. My brakes will only hold ~2,300 without two-step. This is a nitrous car and am trying to hold on line as high as possible without the nitrous coming on. Nitrous converter is currently flashing to 4500. I believe the converter couples at a given rpm but will the brakes hold higher? Plan is to set the nitrous activation rpm just above max hold two-step rpm.
Hope this question makes since.

Last edited by ragtopz28; 03-07-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep you should be able to. When I footbrake I can feel the suspension loading up and the rear rising, and as soon as I hit the 2-step rpm the car settles back down. I haven't tested just how much higher but I believe it will work.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone else?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the MSD 2-step in my car footbraking and I've used it in other cars.

The only issue I can see is that if your 2 step RPM is set higher than you can hold footbraking alone, when the car is on the way up to that RPM target you're going to be potentially WOT there and push through the brakes, do a burnout, etc. and then you'll get to the 2-step. You may be able to half throttle it to get it up there, and then mat it.

I had always had mine set lower than I could hold footbraking so I didn't have any issues pushing through, but I'm just a bracket racer with no nitrous experience.

My $.02
Old 03-08-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by conexion914
I have used the MSD 2-step in my car footbraking and I've used it in other cars.

The only issue I can see is that if your 2 step RPM is set higher than you can hold footbraking alone, when the car is on the way up to that RPM target you're going to be potentially WOT there and push through the brakes, do a burnout, etc. and then you'll get to the 2-step. You may be able to half throttle it to get it up there, and then mat it.

I had always had mine set lower than I could hold footbraking so I didn't have any issues pushing through, but I'm just a bracket racer with no nitrous experience.

My $.02
Good info. I was thinking, ease into the throttle, as you are suggesting, to get it on the two-step, then bump in to turn on second bulb without getting completely off the brake (it is wired to brake light switch with a toggle on dash to open/close circuit). Then jam brake and mat it.
I will try it on my slick garage floor to test.
The main goal is consistent launches!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Good info. I was thinking, ease into the throttle, as you are suggesting, to get it on the two-step, then bump in to turn on second bulb without getting completely off the brake (it is wired to brake light switch with a toggle on dash to open/close circuit). Then jam brake and mat it.
I will try it on my slick garage floor to test.
The main goal is consistent launches!
The only concern I have with the easing into the throttle is that the 2-step needs to see you're 1/3 below the target RPM. I've let someone drive my car and they eased into the throttle and took off before the tree even dropped.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...1/121-8733.pdf

Just make sure the car is pointing out of the garage lol.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by conexion914
The only concern I have with the easing into the throttle is that the 2-step needs to see you're 1/3 below the target RPM. I've let someone drive my car and they eased into the throttle and took off before the tree even dropped.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...1/121-8733.pdf

Just make sure the car is pointing out of the garage lol.
Haha, I did turn the car around and put it right at the bay door in case it did take off
I do not have a line-lock so I think it will hold on the line on a sticky track. I will have to play with it. It only barely tried to spin the tires on the slick, dusty garage floor.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My converter is pretty close to yours in stall, my msd 2 step is set to 3400 rpm right now and the car holds fine , even with my shitty lt1 brakes, lol i think i can bump it up to maybe 3600, i do have to really stand on the brake pedal, but it stays put and no wheelspin. I use it to build 5 psi of boost, works great