Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone “treat” their drag radials to soften them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Default Does anyone “treat” their drag radials to soften them?

Not competing in any classes here. Just trying to get the most out of my MT drag radials. Seems like they work great the first 30 passes or so then performance declines fast. Still has rubber on them, but just don’t work as well. I see alot of these tire treatments like...

“Formula V Tire Traction Treatment”.

Just curious if anyone has had any luck with this or any other product? Last thing I want to do is harm the tire with some back woods “magic sauce”. But I sure wouldn’t mind getting another 30-40 passes out of my radials. This problem seems common as all the local competitive guys sell their half worn Drag radials.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you tried the Hoosier dr2? They are much softer than the mt
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 passes is quite a bit for a drag tire when considering what they go through most of your faster radial guys will change them after about 12-15 runs because of the loss of performance.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I feel like a softer tire would wear even more quickly. I’m looking to get the biggest bang for my buck. I really like the standard MT DR’s. They hook plenty well. They just have a very short life. And stop hooking as well about half way through the tread wear.

I hear the newish belted radial slicks (non-DOT tires) have deeper wear marks than a the MT DR? I was wondering if in terms of wear and performance they acted more like a true slick. I had my bias ply MT slicks for 3+ years! And they were very consistent. I’m lucky to get ¾ of a year on the MT drag radials...

Also should mention this a 1.3X car and I’m trying to put down maybe 850whp at the moment. So nothing stellar performance wise. Shouldn’t need to change tires every 15 passes like the big boys. But I’m lucky to hit 1.5X on my worn MT DR’s. I’m sure alot of this is in the chassis and suspension as well, but the decline in performance in super noticeable in the tire. I’d go back to the bias ply slick, but this things already a death trap and I really liked the added stability of a radial tire at 150+.

-thank for the input!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always read that drag tires have "oils" in them that get depleted from use (burnouts). So if performance goes down after "X" amount of passes, replacing them is really the only option. Have to figure that extra cost not only keeps the ET's consistent, but keeps you safe.

I've found that long burnouts are the only way my car hooks, so shorter burnouts to make the tires hook longer is not an option for me.

I would never treat drag tires. Anything that makes them stickier also picks up every stone on the way to the line, plus I doubt it helps anywhere close to what new tires would.

PS: I have seen you in another forum. Happy motoring!

Al
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

which radial are you using? I run the pro 275 radial and i have about 50 passes on them and my last pass was my best 60ft to date 1.27 still has a couple mm's left before I hit the wear indicators. also I did notice they hook better with a slightly bigger burnout nothing too crazy but a small burnout wasn't working
Old 09-25-2018, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I feel like a softer tire would wear even more quickly. I’m looking to get the biggest bang for my buck. I really like the standard MT DR’s. They hook plenty well. They just have a very short life. And stop hooking as well about half way through the tread wear.

I hear the newish belted radial slicks (non-DOT tires) have deeper wear marks than a the MT DR? I was wondering if in terms of wear and performance they acted more like a true slick. I had my bias ply MT slicks for 3+ years! And they were very consistent. I’m lucky to get ¾ of a year on the MT drag radials...

Also should mention this a 1.3X car and I’m trying to put down maybe 850whp at the moment. So nothing stellar performance wise. Shouldn’t need to change tires every 15 passes like the big boys. But I’m lucky to hit 1.5X on my worn MT DR’s. I’m sure alot of this is in the chassis and suspension as well, but the decline in performance in super noticeable in the tire. I’d go back to the bias ply slick, but this things already a death trap and I really liked the added stability of a radial tire at 150+.

-thank for the input!
I was experiencing the same thing with the MT/DRET streets. I switched to the MT Pro bracket radial slick. They appear to be lasting much longer. They are cheaper and burnout not so big. I average 1.35 60"
Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Best thing to extend life of a tire is keep it in the dark and don't let air get to it..
Those plastic clothing storage bags you can suck the air out of work great.
Oh and don't leave the weight of the car on them while they cool.
It does put faint flat spots in the tire and those reduce grip..