Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone check out this tire and wheel setup for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:58 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can someone check out this tire and wheel setup for me?

It's time to switch to some skinnies and big tires out back. I've gone through and picked out a few things. I just need someone to double check and make sure that the rims will work without grinding calipers and that the combo looks pretty solid. Any takers?

For the rear wheels I'm looking at a set of Convo Pro's 15 in. x 7 1/2 in., 5 x 4 3/4 in. bolt circle, 5 in. backspacing for the rear and 15 in. x 4 in., 5 x 4 3/4 in. bolt circle, 1 3/4 in. backspacing for the fronts.

For tires I'm looking at Hoosier 26 in. x 9.50 in. x 15 in., Quick Time Pro tire (8” Tread). I'm also looking at some Mickey Thompson Sportsmans up front, 26 in. x 7.5 in. x 15 in., front.

Anyone run this setup or is there any other variation out there? I'm also curious if a 8.5" wide rear wheel would be a good or a bad thing.

<small>[ August 25, 2002, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: derty ]</small>
Old 08-26-2002, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Can someone check out this tire and wheel setup for me?

Sounds good to me. If weight is a concern, then the Moroso front runners will be lighter.

The rims are what I run, and I can go up to a 11.5 tire. You could go with the 8" rim, but because of the limited availablity of backspaces available from Centerline, (5") they will stick out from the body, which isn't a performance issue, but an appearance issue. I have not seen one in person, but perhaps you could get with Matt & check out his setup with that rim. He told me it sticks out a little, but clears the fenders just fine. I'm not sure if he has the lip rolled. I do.

Why not go with a wider tire? Like a 11.5?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:19 AM
The Bull

Only reason I didn't pick the 11.5" tire was the rim sizing said 9" to 10" width. Not sure if I could stuff these on a 7.5".
Old 08-27-2002, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run that same set-up but with the 8.5" wheel. I would go with the 8.5s because that will give more tire choices now and later on.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 8.5's will stick out from the wheel wells, and hit the fenders on lowered cars.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:28 AM
The Bull

After last nights exhibition in how to absolutely blow the tires off the car during a launch I'm gonna go with the 8.5 and a 11.5 tire. I just absolutely annhilated the smaller tires through the first two gears. I back pedaled at least six times to avoid getting completely sideways through 1st and 2nd! My car isn't lowered and I'm going to roll the fender lip on the inside.

Anyone have any pictures of the 8.5" on their car? The only picture I saw was the project car of Paul's. It's on a launch and too far from the car. Looks good though!

<small>[ August 27, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: derty ]</small>