Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non roll down windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non roll down windows

my power window motor in the passenger door went out and I wanted to see if I could make the windows fixed. Has anyone attached the windows to where they dont roll up or down. I am thinking if I could get rid of some of the brackets and window motors(without changing to manual crank) it would save a little more weight. Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wrong forum
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Y dont u just get teh window up and leave it up no bracket needed?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Teching In

i just figured someone with a all out drag car would have gutted the inside of the doors and made the windows fixed (kinda like a pro stock car) but then again if you were that serious you would use lexan or something instead of glass. i thought this would get more responses in the drag race section instead of "stereo and electronics", and no offense but this is a weight reduction mod so dont give me that wrong forum crap.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Teching In

just for anyone who wants to have fixed windows, heres how i did it. I took the power window motor out and left the tracks in. where the two arms with the rollers come together I just drilled a hole and put a bolt in there. My passenger window is now fixed and when the driver side motor breaks i will do the same thing.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by elitopus2002Z
just for anyone who wants to have fixed windows, heres how i did it. I took the power window motor out and left the tracks in. where the two arms with the rollers come together I just drilled a hole and put a bolt in there. My passenger window is now fixed and when the driver side motor breaks i will do the same thing.
So the only weight savings you got out of it was the window motor or were you able to take out any of the tracks? I removed a bunch of the fiberglass from the door itself, but didn't mess with the window tracks at all.

I guess I need to stop being lazy and pick up my car from my friends house and put the car on an Extreme Makeover diet . It weighs 2980 now but I'm sure there are alot of other things I could have done the first time.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Teching In

i just took out the power window motor for now but I also need to take out the door bars. I would like to get my car down to 3000 pounds with me in it. I have yet to buy any light weight parts (fiberglass hood, k-member or anything else).
Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

DopeFedZ how much weight came out with cutting up the door like that, and is the door stiff stiff like stock?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by squinn
DopeFedZ how much weight came out with cutting up the door like that, and is the door stiff stiff like stock?
Man I'm not really sure how much that stuff weighed. A wild guess would be 5 lbs per door. I did both doors and also the hatch then removed all tabs, brackets, etc... from the interior of the car and put them in a garbage bag. When I weighed that stuff I want to say I had like 35-40lbs worth of material.

The door is just as strong and I left enough material around all the mounting points for the door panel. I haven't had any probs.