Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift light and launching ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift light and launching ?'s

Im going to go out to the track in the next couple of weeks and wondered if I should get a shift light now, or wait a little while, or not get one at all. I figured it might be a good idea so I dont have to watch the revs as closely, but I've never raced so I dont know. Also, I have a stock M6 tranny and stock 10-bolt with all the mods in my sig, so what rpm's should I launch at safely?? I was thinking anywhere from 2,000-2,500. I would try it out on the street before hand, but I dont wanna break anything in the process. Keep in mind that I have street tires that I will be racing on.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pro 5.0 shifter and a shift light are two MUST HAVEs on an M6.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get one. Mine wasn't working right and I bounced the rev limiter on every shift. I still don't know what my car is REALLY capable of running. Oh, and here's a tip: 100RPM below redline is NOT enough time to react and shift on time...
Old 08-11-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Shift light is a must. My engine revs up WAYY faster than the stock tach, especially on the spray.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not planning on spray or anything, just thought it would be easier to watch for a light in the vent area than looking at the tach. I heard a good place to set the light is at around 6k??? Im alright with the stock shifter for now, saving up for sfc's, lca's and dual cutouts at the moment. But when I get more money, I will get a 5.0 shifter. The mod and racing bug have bitten me, and now its time to bite back and mod up. Also, can someone help me out with launching on a stock 10-bolt and street tires??
Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have nitrous and my stock tach is still waaay off. The stock tach is no good. You need a shift light.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1_Unleashed
Im not planning on spray or anything, just thought it would be easier to watch for a light in the vent area than looking at the tach. I heard a good place to set the light is at around 6k??? Im alright with the stock shifter for now, saving up for sfc's, lca's and dual cutouts at the moment. But when I get more money, I will get a 5.0 shifter. The mod and racing bug have bitten me, and now its time to bite back and mod up. Also, can someone help me out with launching on a stock 10-bolt and street tires??
I meant that the nitrous makes it worse, but it's still pretty far off all-motor. Where you set the light depends on where you want to shift and how your reaction time is. For example, I shift my car at 6700, but I have the light come on at 6500 because by the time I react and shift, the motor is up to 6700 rpm's. hat's just me though, different people have different preferences.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going to go out to the track in the next couple of weeks and wondered if I should get a shift light now, or wait a little while, or not get one at all. I figured it might be a good idea so I dont have to watch the revs as closely, but I've never raced so I dont know. Also, I have a stock M6 tranny and stock 10-bolt with all the mods in my sig, so what rpm's should I launch at safely?? I was thinking anywhere from 2,000-2,500. I would try it out on the street before hand, but I dont wanna break anything in the process. Keep in mind that I have street tires that I will be racing on.

The first thing I can suggest you do, is remove the front sway bar. As a matter of fact, I rarely have mine on. As you know my car is a 6 speed with pretty much all the bolt ons. I also have 4.10s. I usually launch at about 3300-3400, but I am not dumping the clutch. I would ride the clutch just a bit to help the tires hook. I was running sumitomo street tires and consistently pulled mid 1.8s, with a best of 1.81. If you want any help, let me know and I will see if I can help you at the track. I am planning on going to sunshine next thursday to test my et streets.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try and get shiftlight when I have some extra cash. Any recommendations on a good light to get?? Thanks for the offer Obrien. If your ever out at BMP for test and tune I'll see you out there. I start working next week so then Ill get some cash for some sfc's and a shiftlight. I think i'll set it at around 6,000 for now, and then see how good my shifts are. Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate the help.

:edit:-Forgot to ask, what shiftlight would you recommend??? I was thinking about a Harlan shiftlight but dont you have to order those ahead of time because he makes them himself?? What light are you guys running??
Old 08-12-2005, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running a raptor shiftlight. It's good.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by black_knight
I'm running a raptor shiftlight. It's good.
Same here, LS1Speed.com has them for like $85 if I'm not mistaken. Easy install too.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Ill save some money and invest in a shift light. I'll post up again when I have one and see about finding a write up since I am completely illiterate when it comes to electronics.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys. Ill save some money and invest in a shift light. I'll post up again when I have one and see about finding a write up since I am completely illiterate when it comes to electronics.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

That's a writeup for a harlan shift light, but they're essetially the same.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks turo.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Raptor Shiftlight, installed in AC duct, it's stealth