Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get your daily driver under 3000lbs race weight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed all wires not used air bag, cruise con, abs, rear o2's, air pump, radio, speakers, shock sen, and little things that i didn't need. I removed the wires by removing the pins from the connectors I didn't weight how much i saved but i think it's about 20lbs. I also removed heat sheilds, brackets not used, bumper support, plastic peices not used under the car ect. Im hoping for my car to be under 3,000lbs race weight with a front mount turbo, th400, and a 9". I know i still have more to do for my goal, but it will be a very fast street car.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
TTT, how do u delete the power steering using without having to buy the manual steering rack?

You will have to cut the lines and use an insert fitting from the plumbing dept at home depot and some worm drive clamps to loop the system. Tie it back out of the way with some wire ties from the electrical department.

It will be harder to turn with the loop system vs the manual rack though, I ran mine looped for over a year before the manual rack though.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wolfy
whats the width on them? i also really like the stance...looks like stock on 26" tires in the back, am i correct? how much drop in the front, and is it just coils or you have coil overs on it?

The rims are 17x11 in the back with 315 BFG drag radials and 17x6 in the front with nitto 205 tires in the front. The suspension is hals all the way around and I adjusted the front down, I am not sure how much the drop is, I do know the front air dam that directs the air into the radiator is about 4.5" off the ground if that helps. The back I removed the rubber spring isolaters and did the hose mod and then cut the spring 1 coil. I started where the spring began at the top and went down to where if you welded it together the part I cut out would make 1 full circle. It also has a moser 12bolt in the back.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by black_z
GetAV8, why do you have a camaro gauge cluster? Car looks great BTW.

Good eye,

Once upon a time when I pulled out the steering wheel and went with the grant, it set a light in the cluster that said "airbag". I mentioned it to someone about it being annoying and they said just pull the bulb, HMMMMM I said sounds easy enough so I did.

Well, the bulbs are LED which loop parts of the gauges so when I pulled the LED's it screwed up several of the gauges, oil, temp, and something else I think. The 98 gauges are unique to that year and all I could get a hold of was a Camaro cluster of that year for the replacement.

So now I just opened up the cluster, took and wrapped electrical tape around the bulb to cover it.

So, now you know my shame.......

Last edited by Getav8; 05-21-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Getav8
Good eye,

Once upon a time when I pulled out the steering wheel and went with the grant, it set a light in the cluster that said "airbag". I mentioned it to someone about it being annoying and they said just pull the bulb, HMMMMM I said sounds easy enough so I did.

Well, the bulbs are LED which loop parts of the gauges so when I pulled the LED's it screwed up several of the gauges, oil, temp, and something else I think. The 98 gauges are unique to that year and all I could get a hold of was a Camaro cluster of that year for the replacement.

So now I just opened up the cluster, took and wrapped electrical tape around the bulb to cover it.

So, now you know my shame.......
Or you could of pushed out the pin on the connector.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Or you could of pushed out the pin on the connector.

Not sure what you mean?

I just grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the soldered LED's out of the board. I then went back latter and tried to solder them back in with no luck at getting it to work. So I replaced the whole thing.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Not sure what you mean?

I just grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the soldered LED's out of the board. I then went back latter and tried to solder them back in with no luck at getting it to work. So I replaced the whole thing.
The airbag light is activated by the module if you pull the cluster off from the connector and you push the pin out that activates the light.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
The airbag light is activated by the module if you pull the cluster off from the connector and you push the pin out that activates the light.

That makes sense, where were you 3 years ago! lol
Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

That makes sense, where were you 3 years ago! lol
I was a rookie
Old 05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Its easier than having surgary on your cluster.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

bringing this back up for my future winter project!! Anyone else got any more ideas??

Quick Reply: How to get your daily driver under 3000lbs race weight.