LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech-34/)
-   -   Rear Sway Bar (https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/428458-rear-sway-bar.html)

theoldman 12-28-2005 05:14 PM

Rear Sway Bar

Who has taken their rear sway bar off (drag race only), notice any difference?
I noticed on Comp. Engineering web site that they reccomend taking it off on a race only vehicle.

BADFNZ 12-28-2005 07:40 PM

I wouldn't run without one but that's just my opinion.

Ed Wright 12-28-2005 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by theoldman
Who has taken their rear sway bar off (drag race only), notice any difference?
I noticed on Comp. Engineering web site that they reccomend taking it off on a race only vehicle.

With just a torque arm, I wouldn't take it off. If you use something like PeteZ bars, you don't have to have one. Mine has been gone for a couple of years now. Without something like those bars, you need a really big anti-roll bar, or a more normal sized bar along with an air bag in the right rear spring to keep it from falling over on the right rear when you leave. Look under the faster NHRA F body Stock Eliminator cars, you don't see many air bags, nor anti-roll bars.

Good luck, Ed

FloydSummerOf68 12-28-2005 09:41 PM

A big rear swaybar should help you to hook up better and leave the line straight. At least, that's what I've seen.

Shon Herron 12-29-2005 09:30 AM

I would not run without a rear swaybar.
Even with my small amount of power the Spohn Drag bar helped out a TON!!
It was leaning over on the launch and darting to the right, put the big sway bar on there and no more.
If wanting a more street/strip type set up we put a huge rear bar on a buddy's car with the poly endlinks and it helped his car out alot too.
The rear air bag is worth a shot, guess it depends on how much it is leaning over.

Ed Wright 12-29-2005 10:00 AM

If you don't have something like the PeteZ bars, you don't want to take it off. How big a bar you need depends on how much power you are making, and how hard the car hooks. When I put my 383" in I tried to buy that monster from BMR, but they were on about a 60 day back order. I bought the next biggest one I could find (Spohn, I think?) and still needed an air bag with 35 psi in it to keep relatively flat on launch. It still leaned over some. Went to what I have now, pitched the anti-roll bar and air bag, leaves perfectly flat now. (Side-to-side, at least) and goes 60' from 1.30 to 1.35. Finally got a handle on the wheel stands too. Like I said, go take a look at the faster NHRA F body stockers. Ask around, see what they are doing. Might learn something.

Matt D 12-29-2005 10:18 AM

I don't have one on mine, but I do have an airbag in the right rear spring and Comp Engineering rear shocks. I cut 1.4 60fts. Car launchs straight as an arrow.

Shon Herron 12-29-2005 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
I don't have one on mine, but I do have an airbag in the right rear spring and Comp Engineering rear shocks. I cut 1.4 60fts. Car launchs straight as an arrow.

Do you have the shocks set at the same on the rear?

Got a local juiced Z that was not running a rear bar, it was nasty but leaving on 200+ will do that sometimes....

Matt D 12-29-2005 12:00 PM

Yes, I have both shocks set at 50/50. Tires are 28x10.5x15 ET Drags.