Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag suspension guru's come help plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag suspension guru's come help plz

I already posted this in suspension section but i think you guys will be able to help me more thanks a bunch.

Alrighty to start it off my car has been running awesome 60' times but whats been killin me is the weight transfer and sometimes it falls on its face. So i need some help from u junkies. car info is in sig. iam a kid, so not much money to spend, ill have about 500$ and want to know what i need to help me out. im running 18's on the front w/ the slicks in back. I work at Discount tire so i could get weld pro star skinnies and tires for about 225$. Iam on stock shocks and TA. car is a daily driver but will see alot of track time

1.Priority-what will give the best e.t or weight transfer improvement for the dollar?
2. if i get any kind of adjustable shocks how should i set them for optimal wieght distribution?
3.When i go to the track would it be bad to remove my front sway bar?
4.How much will relo brackets help and should waste the money knowing my rear end will break someday soon?
5.Considering that my rear end will break(its just a matter of time,and dont ask me how its lived through 1.7 60's????) I will go with a 9" rear so aftermarket torque arms are different arnt they? So would it be best to wait untill i get a new rear end to do the Torque arm?
6. Sorry for all the questions im new and young to drag suspension,any suggestions will help this rookie out.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Banned

i would get something like the BMR track pack torque arm, cross member mounted so that shouldn't be an issue, i would go with QA1 12 way adjustables all around with a 275 or 300# spring in the front, maybe a wolfe swaybar if you intend to keep modding your car and go quicker in the future, the wolfe swaybar helped a ton in my case. maybe tubular kmember in the front to save a bunch of weight.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

But what would be most important....dont have money for all that yet. also shocks, is there a cheaper solution to qa1's? i dont mind sacrificing a wee bit of driveability if its a little more drag orientated.

Last edited by blueovalbeater; 04-16-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

what kind of budget are you looking at right now? the comp. engineering shocks for the rear are nice for a budget piece and several guys run them and do well. i have a good buddy with a cam only drag car that we're going to throw some on the rear of his car with my QA1 fronts and see how it does.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Ive seen the comp engineering 3 way adjustables but how would these be on the street. could i have a setting with those that i run on the street?and whast this talk about drag springs? ill do a search on em but i have never seen these?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

talkin to a few guys around here. Im with you blue oval, im on a budget build myself. I took off my front sway bar, i think thats a deff. And they say use v6 springs in the front cause there softer and cheap ($20 from ebay or bone yard). So now with soft springs and no sway bar your front should transfer a hella lot better. thats all i got for now.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Well if you are on a budget then the best thing that won't hurt your pocket is taking weight out of the car. Especially off the front. Yank the sway bar if you haven't already. If you take weight off the nose it won't want to fall on it's face as much. I'd get the skinnies and yank the sway bar. I know when I went to skinnies I lost 50lbs total and plus my sway bar (15lbs) I lost 65lbs total for both. That's alot of the nose. But also start saving up for a rear end build. You may be on borrowed time. -Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

yea, i also got skinnies for mine too
Old 04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

what do you guys think about relocating the battery? And with the v6 car springs do i put em in the rear or the front ive heard both,beacause if its soft in the rear the *** end will dip down and bitewont it? thanks alot for the help keep the info coming.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Yes if you can relocate the battery that's 36lbs off the front. Put it over the right rear to help that tire get traction. You want soft springs upfront and stiff ones in the rear. If the rear squats you spin. -Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

just wondering about the statement off wanting the set up hard in the rear and soft in the front i have a set of drag lunch springs and the car is so stiff in the front that you cant push it dow but the rear is like a pillow and it hooks like a beast if i drop the clutch under 4000 it will bog
Old 04-18-2006, 12:32 AM
9 Second Club

Ive seen the comp engineering 3 way adjustables but how would these be on the street. could i have a setting with those that i run on the street?and whast this talk about drag springs? ill do a search on em but i have never seen these
Don't get the CE 3 way shocks..... garbage..... you can't even tell which setting they are on and you have to disconnect them to adjust to a different setting... you get what you pay for....

But either the QA1's or if you got BANK get the AFCO's...... i gotta sell my kid to buy the double adjustable AFCO's..... I love the little guy but i gotta get my suspension straight
Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Don't get the CE 3 way shocks..... garbage..... you can't even tell which setting they are on and you have to disconnect them to adjust to a different setting... you get what you pay for....

But either the QA1's or if you got BANK get the AFCO's...... i gotta sell my kid to buy the double adjustable AFCO's..... I love the little guy but i gotta get my suspension straight
Agree totally Don't underestimate what a good set of shocks can do for you. The QA1's are pretty good and the Strange are even a little better for around the same price. AFCO's VERY nice just higher priced.

Lee Spicher
Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

see that.... advice from THE experts..... pass on the CE shocks...
Old 04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blueovalbeater
Ive seen the comp engineering 3 way adjustables but how would these be on the street. could i have a setting with those that i run on the street?and whast this talk about drag springs? ill do a search on em but i have never seen these?
i have the comp 3 way in the rear, they ride the same, if not better than the stock SS ones on the street set at 50/50. havent been to the track with them yet but heard they work decent for the money, there no qa1s im sure but hopefully better than stock.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slolt1
just wondering about the statement off wanting the set up hard in the rear and soft in the front i have a set of drag lunch springs and the car is so stiff in the front that you cant push it dow but the rear is like a pillow and it hooks like a beast if i drop the clutch under 4000 it will bog
The reason is if the rear squats you are unloading the pressue on the rear tires. Unloading will give you spin. A stiff rear will push down on the tires thus helping traction. The fronts need to be soft to lift the front and shift the weight to the rear. But too soft and the "hook and spin" occurs. You want the nose to lift but not to quickly. That's where struts and shocks come in to play. Typically the rear should have a 50/50 shock rate and the front a 90/10 rate. 90/10's should lift easy but when you push down on the front it should be harder than it was to lift. -Mark
Old 04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

The 50/50 setting is the way to go. If alot of adjustment is needed you better go with something else.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys i have skinnies lined up.....but dont know what to do next with money. Would it be bad to run 2 Qa1's front or rear with a cheaper shock on the opposite end. Help me choose what I should do after i get skinnies relocate the battery and remove the sway bar, I should have about 300$ to spend on shocks, or a torque arm, or springs so plz help me decide which would be most benificial.thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Which would be more benificial...^^^^^^^
Old 04-19-2006, 06:10 AM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

Qa1's in the front with comp engineering in the rear.

Quick Reply: Drag suspension guru's come help plz