Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My skinnies sqeak and dont seem right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 06:52 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My skinnies sqeak and dont seem right.

Well after a mishap last week with the skinnys on the front and loosinga wheel and studs. Since ive replaced the studs on both sides and have gotten the weld shank lug nuts. I put 4 lugs on each the left/right front and drove it around the neigborhood but it started to squeak, i took the left of and it was rubbing a little bit so i grinded that part down. Put them back on and they still kinda squeak. I know the lugs are getting threaded on there enough because i checked the thread length by using some wax and then taking the lug off.

My question is why are they squeaking and the lugs seem to come a little loose? Is it nessacary to get a torque wrench and tighten them?

Tony.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you should always torque them with a torque wrench. I had to run a 5/32" spacer up front to clear the brake pad clip. I would of had to ground alot off the wheel itself to clear, and that was not an option. I put on new rotors and pads, so I'm sure that made it worse. But I would check the clearance of the brake pad clip, put all 5 lugs on, and torque them to specs.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my left front brake clip is broke and only half remains. So thats no prob. Im thinking that both mishaps from the wheels breaking studs and stripping lugs is because im not torquing them to spec and they were stock studs.

I shall try to torque them from now on. What do I torque them to?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

What I have noticed from my prostars in the rear is that if only 4 lug nuts are on, the wheel isnt exactly flush, tightend completly. You outta try using all 5 lugs and tightening them down and see if that fixs it. With 4 they might not be seated all the way and 'wobbling' them selves loose. Dont know if that will help.

Ski
Old 04-25-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Well my left front brake clip is broke and only half remains. So thats no prob. Im thinking that both mishaps from the wheels breaking studs and stripping lugs is because im not torquing them to spec and they were stock studs.

I shall try to torque them from now on. What do I torque them to?
Torque specs depend on the stud size. If you bought your prostars new, they came with a chart that had the torque specs for the different sizes of studs. I've got it at home somewhere.