Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever flatten a Dynomax Bullet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody ever flatten a Dynomax Bullet?

So I'm having a problem with a severe lack of room under my car. There is really no room for an exhaust at all, 3" duals are out, and a 3" Y with a Flowmaster merge doesn't leave much room at all for my drive shaft loop or a tunnel brace mounted TA if I go that route in the future. So, I think I'm left with running bullets at the collectors. No way in hell do I have the ground clearance for that though. But if I squish them in a press and get them down close to 3" they would work. Anybody try it, think the inside would hold it's shape ok, or will the perferated core get screwed up and all the packing fall out? I'm open to any other suggestions too.

BTW: A custom set up is out. There is only one shop around with a manderal bender and I can't get on their lift. They would charge me a mint if they had to do it on their backs.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Restricted User

About two years ago, my roommates wife took my car for a joyride...during her pleasure cruise with her GF, she ran my car over a parking stop, flattened out the bottom of the bullet, as well as scraped up the entire SFC, dented the center of the stock K Member, tweaked a lower A Arm, and scraped up some other stuff. End result, my bullet was flattened out some but the inside was absolutely fine, sounded the same as pre-joyride, but gave more clearance. Not sure if squashing it that much would separate the internal welds or not, but theres always a first. GL

Charlie
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a muffler shop install the drivers side bullet by doing what you described. It doesn't hurt the bullet a bit.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SUX2BU (damn, sorry for swingin' on ya so much bro, but I learn a lot from ya ) had the outer portion completly flattened leaving the inside the origional diameter.

Search his name and you can find many under-car pics of his ride.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is my tsp 3" ory with a bullet on the end......there is TONS of room for my DS but I have the stock TA and no loop.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

off the Y pipe run that borla XR series muffler. it soundds great and flows as well as a bullet. just more tame.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
About two years ago, my roommates wife took my car for a joyride...during her pleasure cruise with her GF, she ran my car over a parking stop, flattened out the bottom of the bullet, as well as scraped up the entire SFC, dented the center of the stock K Member, tweaked a lower A Arm, and scraped up some other stuff. End result, my bullet was flattened out some but the inside was absolutely fine, sounded the same as pre-joyride, but gave more clearance. Not sure if squashing it that much would separate the internal welds or not, but theres always a first. GL

Charlie
Sweet, I'll just clamp them on and then go drive over some speed bumps. Problem solved.

Guys do you think a standard 3" Y will support 650+rwhp with out costing me anything? I really don't like the way the merges look on any prefabbed Ys. The only ones that look like they will supprot any power is the Mufflex and QTP. I've been hearing clearance complaints about both. It doesn't help that my car is now about 1.75"+ lower than stock.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

I had to flatten my bullets just to get them to clear the unibody cross member area. I just wacked them with a hammer and the inside diameter did not change.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Borla XR1 are short, and sound great. I bought a set from a 8 second Mustang.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

3" y-pipe to a flowmaster merge. 4" back to a 4" bullet and a 4" dump. I can't say forsure it will flow what you need but I think it can. No problems fitting and plenty of room.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Restricted User

GM...nice way to not read into it crackhead I can get the number if you want she'll drive it for you
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 PM
LC
TECH Resident

I have driven my duals over 10000+ bump stops.. they are flat on the bottom.. no sound change that i have noticed...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninetres
SUX2BU (damn, sorry for swingin' on ya so much bro, but I learn a lot from ya ) had the outer portion completly flattened leaving the inside the origional diameter.

Search his name and you can find many under-car pics of his ride.
No prob mang. I squished mine a LONG time ago. they have GREAT clearence now.the insides did not change at all.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....73&postcount=1
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
GM...nice way to not read into it crackhead I can get the number if you want she'll drive it for you
lol, I figured you'd like that.

00SS4780: That's the exact set up I originally planned on running. 4" Merge to 4" bullet. Is that a prefabbed Y?

I think I'll check out the XR-1s too. I know they are expensive but I do need a new sound.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the rubber hose between the spohn tq arm and the merge collector pictured above, that's sweet LOL. I had ot have a set of alum spacers made to shim teh mount down about 5/8 an inch to get mine to not hit there... and now of course, the mount hits ****.

ONly solution I have found, is when I go to the th400 with the new motor, I'm swapping to a stock style bmr tq arm, and utilizing the tq arm mount on the th400 bmr crossmember. The loop that bmr makes is alot thinner then the tubing used with the spohn crossmember, hopefullythat along with removal of the spacers will hopefully eliminate that. Nothing more disturbing then having the mount for a key piece of suspension hit the ground on every driveway entrance you pull into

Gm, I'd think that if you had someone fab something up you could get away with the Y, and have good clearance, a single 4 inch pipe/bullet will flow ALOT of air, I don't remember the cfm off hand, but in comparison to 2 3 inch pipes, it wasn't so far off that it will make much of a difference. If you were running a 470+ ci motor that saw 8000 rpm, then you might have issues.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

GM, i have 3" XR-1's off the collectors. they have only hit once or twice when driving around with my shocks on full loose. with my shocks stiffened up they have never hit... and when i say hit, i mean a decent scrape - not anything gonna tear the exhaust off the car, or collapse the muffler.

they sound great, and make awesome power.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Well, no Y pipe for me. I'm going to do this on a budget and I will probrably do a set up like Sux2bu. Can do it for $100 with some nice flowmaster turndowns. I'll just have to have somebody bend me up a peice of pipe to clear the floor on the drivers side.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Well, no Y pipe for me. I'm going to do this on a budget and I will probrably do a set up like Sux2bu. Can do it for $100 with some nice flowmaster turndowns. I'll just have to have somebody bend me up a peice of pipe to clear the floor on the drivers side.

Cool, and to answer your question it started as a Mufflex Y but had to be modified to fit the merge through the tq arm.

The merge wasn't hitting the tq arm but it was close and I figured I would be safe and stick a peice of rubber there. I was goin to take it out befor ethe pics but I figured I would give people something to talk about...lol!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by imslow
GM, i have 3" XR-1's off the collectors. they have only hit once or twice when driving around with my shocks on full loose. with my shocks stiffened up they have never hit... and when i say hit, i mean a decent scrape - not anything gonna tear the exhaust off the car, or collapse the muffler.

they sound great, and make awesome power.
Got any pics? i'm thinking about switching to XR1's due to the Trex going in and me moving into some new apartments. Don't wanna ruffle too many feathers.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Just find someone who can weld and cut the pipe ant an angle on both ends then weld a straight peice to it. thats what i did.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever flatten a Dynomax Bullet?