Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a 9" and quieter than this 12 bolt after alot of abuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default is a 9" and quieter than this 12 bolt after alot of abuse

ok, the reason i havent been racing is because i now drive the car alot and gear whine drives me insane, i put new gears in the 12bolt and they are quiet as the last ones i set up but after 30-40passed they scream so i havent raced in a while, does a 9" respond the same way or can you beat the hell outa them with a stick car and they stay quiet, ill just sell the car and build a big motor for a street car if i cant race and drive it, that is the only thing that bothers me, i can deal with the rest of the stuff.

btw, wtf do i have to do to keep this aluminum diff cover from leaking, is it because the housing is steel and the cover is aluminum it just expands and contrats just enough difference to leak, ive tried everything, even that grey crap i seal my tranny housings with and it still leaks

Last edited by SMOKIN01TA; 10-08-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends on the set up of the gears, the gears themselves and some other things as well, with a 9" however you could have two center sections, one for the strip and one for the street
Old 10-09-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

iv beat up on my 9in for over a year now and it still as quit as the day i put it in the car
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 AM
9 Second Club

I have beat the crap out of my 9' and the owner of it before me did the same. Still kicking ***. But it is a little noisy.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Smokin01TA, Which gears are you running? Street gears, or Pro gears. If your running pro gears they will be loud in any rear end, as they are made softer then street gears and the teeth bend a little causing noise. I had the same problem as you, If i ran richmonds street gears i would just break them, but they would stay reasonably quiet, pro gears would last but, after several passes they got loud as ****.

The 9in. may allow you to run a harder street gear without it breaking, may also try getting the gears cryo'd first, that may also help a little.

On the alum. diff cover, i run a cheap summit one. I use NO gasket, and just a little red silicone. Never had a issue when doing it like this.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

My 9" hasn't gotten any louder with abuse, but I do have some whine from when I had to reset my gears when I changed my Locker.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

My richmonds have had a little noise since day one, but it's hasn't gotten any louder.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gimp98TNT
Smokin01TA, Which gears are you running? Street gears, or Pro gears. If your running pro gears they will be loud in any rear end, as they are made softer then street gears and the teeth bend a little causing noise. I had the same problem as you, If i ran richmonds street gears i would just break them, but they would stay reasonably quiet, pro gears would last but, after several passes they got loud as ****.

The 9in. may allow you to run a harder street gear without it breaking, may also try getting the gears cryo'd first, that may also help a little.

On the alum. diff cover, i run a cheap summit one. I use NO gasket, and just a little red silicone. Never had a issue when doing it like this.
i still run street gears, got 200passes or so out the last set before they blew in atlanta, never tried pro gears for that very reason, they noisy

thanks for the responses fellas, i was looking more for responses from guys on slicks cutting 1.3-1.4 60's 1.6's and up my rear stayed pretty quiet for a long time
Old 10-09-2006, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

hahaha, yeah. That pulls my voice out, haha.

Working on better 60's, but not there yet