Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ISSUES: Spohn Adj. TA/TSP X-Pipe Exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry ISSUES: Spohn Adj. TA/TSP X-Pipe Exhaust!!

This is turning into a drag-race only car really quick. Hopefully someone has a similar set-up and has run into this issue as well. I have had the factory torque arm and just found my pinion angle to be +2, Whoa! This is after a Moser 12-bolt rear was installed and we put Adj. LCA's on to try to correct it but the tires are 11.5s so we have little room to play with around the fenders. I got the Spohn adj. TA with relocation crossmember and it does not fit with the TSP True-Dual Exhaust system. What to do!!?? TSP reccomends that I cut the 4 feet of pipe before the mufflers, then relocate/weld the mufflers to the headers. The big issue is: Is this Street Legal (similar to open headers) and will this be NHRA Street Legal? Any other methods anyone reccomends?? I really need the TA to set it at -2 to -3 and there has been too much strain on the tailshaft housing; it has broke twice! Any help is appreciated!!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

maybe ditch that particular spohn tq arm, and get yourself a stock replacment one... and get one of the tranny crossmembers that BMR sells that relocated the tq arm off the tranny and onto the mount. That's what I did with my th400 swap, but went with a chromoly BMR stock style tq arm Also gives some instant center adjustment too.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

You just need mufflers for it to be NHRA "street Legal". Where they are is irrelevant.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what Kook's did at there factory installation center with all my Spohn Stuff.Custom Stainless 3" , Mucho bucks!

http://www.artrains.com/ebayphotos/DSCF1017.JPG[/IMG]http://www.artrains.com/ebayphotos/DSCF1018.JPGhttp://www.artrains.com/ebayphotos/DSCF1021.JPG
Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RayZ06
This is what Kook's did at there factory installation center with all my Spohn Stuff.Custom Stainless 3" , Mucho bucks!

http://www.artrains.com/ebayphotos/DSCF1017.JPG[/IMG]http://www.artrains.com/ebayphotos/DSCF1018.JPGhttp://www.artrains.com/ebayphotos/DSCF1021.JPG
Very nice!!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
This is turning into a drag-race only car really quick. Hopefully someone has a similar set-up and has run into this issue as well. I have had the factory torque arm and just found my pinion angle to be +2, Whoa! This is after a Moser 12-bolt rear was installed and we put Adj. LCA's on to try to correct it but the tires are 11.5s so we have little room to play with around the fenders. I got the Spohn adj. TA with relocation crossmember and it does not fit with the TSP True-Dual Exhaust system. What to do!!?? TSP reccomends that I cut the 4 feet of pipe before the mufflers, then relocate/weld the mufflers to the headers. The big issue is: Is this Street Legal (similar to open headers) and will this be NHRA Street Legal? Any other methods anyone reccomends?? I really need the TA to set it at -2 to -3 and there has been too much strain on the tailshaft housing; it has broke twice! Any help is appreciated!!
BMR 4l60E X-member and a Random Tech adjustable TA that fits in the stock location if you must keep the duals. It will have adjustment at the cross member for instant center, and you can also adjust pinion angle as well...

BTW, who measured the pinion angle? And does the car have relocation brackets on the LCAs? What makes you think adjustable control arms will change pinion angle? All they change is wheelbase.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

I was told that they may help with the pinion angle. I measured the pinion angle with a angle finder. No relocation on the LCA's. Problem now solved: I had an AWESOME friend of mine make a custom exhaust for me with the Dynomax mufflers. It looks SICK underneath!!

Last edited by fasttagurl; 10-12-2006 at 11:53 AM. Reason: no quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was told that they may help with the pinion angle. I measured the pinion angle with a angle finder. No relocation on the LCA's. Problem now solved: I had an AWESOME friend of mine make a custom exhaust for me with the Dynomax mufflers. It looks SICK underneath!!
So show us the puke pics under the car...You said it looks sick...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

how does an exhaust look sick? it's just some metal tubing and a muffler....
Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this same issue, only with an LT1 car. With the spohn toruqe arm no off the shelf xpipe setup will fit. You will need to make or have a custom exhaust made for you. It will fit, but it takes some imagination. I placed the X portion of the exhaust in between the trans cross member and the gload area where the torque arm mounts. The exhaust then gently wraps around the outside of the torque arm mounts and back into bullets and dumps before the rear end.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foggedz
I had this same issue, only with an LT1 car. With the spohn toruqe arm no off the shelf xpipe setup will fit. You will need to make or have a custom exhaust made for you. It will fit, but it takes some imagination. I placed the X portion of the exhaust in between the trans cross member and the gload area where the torque arm mounts. The exhaust then gently wraps around the outside of the torque arm mounts and back into bullets and dumps before the rear end.
Cool man, do you have any pics? We ended up ditching about 20 lbs. of pipe to make it work for now. We have a welder friend that did some custom exhaust work for me - he did a really great job! Been too busy to post pics but maybe soon! On the first 2 passes at the track I think the computer was freaking out because of the exhaust change but then it smoothed out and I ran a 7.10!! (New best!) I guess the less weighted exhaust really did matter! Sounds a lot louder too! Thanks for the "intelligent" response.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wish I lived in a place where I could get away with running bullets off the headers dumped.. here in CT the smog ****'s would freak out at that

Probably sounds really racy that way I bet.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry it took so long to get some pics. The passenger side pipe and bullet have been removed so its easyer to see everything.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

i got the edelbrock adj t/a last month, its narrower then stock and 3 lbs lighter. i love it rite now i have a 0 degree angle i need to get a -2 tho for racing

id look into them plus they are only 220 bucks

-brandon
Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't

My buddy Tim snapped one on a 3k launch.

Snapped.