Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running a non-street legal car at a street legal event

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default running a non-street legal car at a street legal event

My "friend" wants to take his car to a grudge night event at the local strip that is hosted for licensed and registered vehicles only. He has two cars of the same make, model, year, color, etc. One is registered the other is not. We were wanting to take the car that isn't registered to the track to run but were wondering what the ramifications (legal or not) or liability of running the unregistered car with the plates/registration of the other one. (They don't really check the registration very closely) Is this a big deal and is there anything bad that can happen if something bad does happpen?

I thought the main reason they do this is just to keep full on race cars out of the event... I didn't think it was a liability issure but he seems to think so.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the reason for doing a street legal night was to make it fair to the non pro guys?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So is there something obviously not legal about the one car? If it's obviously a drag car, they'll probably turn you away. But that depends on the track & track personnel.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say its borderline cheating. You know the drag car doesn't qualify but your trying to pull a fast one over on them.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

if you mean legally...fictitious plates, no insurance, no registration, lots of fines, **** like that (hey, accidents happen)

if that's a non-issue, then either, like they said, turned away (which I doubt, unless they check the VIN) or an ***-kicking from the people you beat (if loot is involved) LOL
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedge
if you mean legally...fictitious plates, no insurance, no registration, lots of fines, **** like that (hey, accidents happen)

if that's a non-issue, then either, like they said, turned away (which I doubt, unless they check the VIN) or an ***-kicking from the people you beat (if loot is involved) LOL
Not a race car, and nothing illegal about the car, just hasn't gotten around to registering the car and we want to make some passes before the track closes for the winter. We're just going to get a basline on a new setup, not going to race anyone for money or compete; basically tesn n tune.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

as long as your not driving it on the street to get there, who cares. the worst they will do is tell you to leave. might as well try.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

They just do that to keep the race cars out I would imagine, cant see any legal trouble you could get into with the police since the car isnt on a public road.

NO let me repeat, NO 'normal' insurance company will pay liability or comprehensive at a dragstrip so I dont really see a legal issue with it. Crap, 50% of the cars driving around these days dont have legal plates or insurance on them most likely lol.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

I figured you were racing for money. If your just wanting to get an idea of what it'd run then I'd say go ahead.