Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting through the 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
No not really... Like I said, I dont shift past the redline 6k. Dont be so bitter.

No it was in 4th. I usually shift into 4th about 50 yds or so before the line as well, but thats at about 5900-6000rpms.
Looking at my dyno sheet, it doesn't make sense to shift into 4th. It puts me at less power plus it takes time to shift. I know what you are thinking, but it just doesn't apply to my case. I did it just because I was curious, you are acting like I committed a crime

Oh and I looked at a mph to rpm calculator and at 106 mph I was turning about 6150 rpms. Not that high, thats lower than the stock limiter.
quit bullshitting. which is it, do you shift into 4th or not??
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
no, tuning has nothing to do with gearing, maybe you have 4.10's and you dont know it? 3.42's take 4th gear way past the 1/4, or is it 4th that you want to shift into at the end of the 1/4? As far as launching goes, every car is a little different and only track time will give you that answer.
You can change the tire size in the PCM which would throw things off.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if your hitting the rev limiter at the top of the track ill bet either 1.) your short shifting 2.) someone has messed with your rev limiter. 3.) you have got gears you do not know about. 4.) your clutch is giving out at the top of the track causing the engine to rev higher.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
quit bullshitting. which is it, do you shift into 4th or not??
WOW.

My tuner raised the stock rev limiter to 6500. Im running the stock cam and gears and I believe I was at about 6300 rpms when I crossed the line. I was pretty surprised myself, but I found that shifting into 4th at about 6k gave me a higher trap speed of 106.
Considering thats the first time my car has seen that high of rpms, well besides dyno pulls, i dont think it's gonna hurt. Plus, ive seen plenty of ls1s do it regularly. I was just curious to see if it helped or hurt, and I was right, it hurt the trap speed.
Looking at my dyno sheet, it doesn't make sense to shift into 4th. It puts me at less power plus it takes time to shift. I know what you are thinking, but it just doesn't apply to my case. I did it just because I was curious, you are acting like I committed a crime

Oh and I looked at a mph to rpm calculator and at 106 mph I was turning about 6150 rpms. Not that high, thats lower than the stock limiter.
No not really... Like I said, I dont shift past the redline 6k. Dont be so bitter.

No it was in 4th. I usually shift into 4th about 50 yds or so before the line as well, but thats at about 5900-6000rpms.
... Now YOU
Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Originally Posted by bww3588
theres no power to be had up that high with stock heads and cam. so thers no reason to even try that. it redlines at 6000 for a reason.
i will say that we were spinning the fastest bolton LT1 car well over 6,000. i would imagine an LS1 would be ok doing that.