Sponsored by:

starter will not engage after wire removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter will not engage after wire removal

heres the deal. i cleaned all the excess wires out from under my dash (all hvac control wires,radio/speaker wires,factory fuel pump wires,airbag wires etc.etc.etc.) the problem i have just ran across today is the purple wire going to the starter is not getting no juice.

i was going to prime the motor today and went to do so and nothing! i have checked the following

battery voltage 13.37 volts
i have the same voltage going to the starter relay in the engine compartment
grounded at the reaer to factory seatbelt stud
grounded at engine w/ 2 gauge braided. from head to frame
adjusted the slider on the column just to be safe
checked to make sure all connectors were hooked to the column
changed relay in fuse block

the other 3 wires going to the relay have voltage. just not the purple one. i am 99% sure i did not remove nothing related to the starter. i did remove all wiring and related connectore that went out the pass side firewall. i am pretty sure they were engine control wires. they did not chase down to nothing on the column

i chased down one wire at a time to stop this from happening.....any help will be appreciated!

thanks
greg

edit: it currently has no computer hooked up. it has the xfi set-up, but not completley hooked up yet

Last edited by red83; 03-21-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some more specific info on the car would help...like the year. But did you remove any of the security features, like VATS. There is a starter disable relay mounted over by the HVAC stuff.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

98 model.sorry

i am thinking it is the vats after talking to a few people. i removed everything that did not relate to the lights, pw, and pwdl.

what would be the easiest way to fix my problem? i am thinking about a push button/flip switch. but i would rather fix the key switch if possible.

i guess i am just a little confused on how all 3 wires on the relay can get hot and not kick the purple wire. but electrical stupid