Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rules for battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rules for battery

So im looking into relocating the battery into the spare tire area i have a optima and i was wondering if i would still be able to run at the track if its mounted but not sealed in a box basically if i were to use the BMR relocation bracket could i still take it to the track and be fine?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has to be either sealed in a box, or use the Wolfe firewall.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Coal Mining Director

Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition (must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc.). The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the "off" position clearly marked. If the switch is of a "push / pull" type, then "push" must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or "keyed" typed switches are prohibited. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the package tray to effectively seal the battery off from the driver. In a hatchback type vehicle the battery box is usually the easiest solution, since the alternative is to fabricate a bulkhead which seals to the hatch when closed. At present, Moroso is the only company which offers an NHRA accepted plastic battery box, part number 74050.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

so what your saying is that if i relocate my battery i will need to install a cutoff switch and it must be in a sealed box otherwise i cant run at a track?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

that is what he is saying.the officials need to know where to shut off the engine also the reason you need to mark it.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm relocating my battery this weekend, but I am NOT putting in a cut off switch. My car is mainly street.

I'll let the tech's bitch if they want
Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

yeah but i dont want them to deny my car at the track so ill leave it where it is untill i get the box and switch
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do u install a cut off switch... i have seen them but never looked at one closely at how they actually worked mechanically
Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

i couldnt tell you exactly but what it does is breaks the circuit from the alternator and the battery so with the flip of the switch it will essentially kill the engine because it will open the circuits from both supplies
Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

you can either turn a switch from side to side

or with the push pull, it just does the same thing, to trip the breaker off

Since I'm a street car, not running THAT fast 10.50-11? I'm not installing a cutoff, I'm not drilling into the side of my car.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

i thought you were required to put a switch in regardless of et if you are gonna run at a track and your battery is relocated
Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ilikeppie
i thought you were required to put a switch in regardless of et if you are gonna run at a track and your battery is relocated
That is correct. I think he is just saying he is going to try to get by without one on the car.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

The summit premium battery relocation kit is a great deal for $110. Comes with 1 gauge cable, NHRA approved battery box (same as moroso), fittings etc.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Then you need the flaming river push/pull switch (or similar).
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I installed mine directly on the back and cut and re-tapped the rod. It comes out through the bowtie logo on the camaro.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

^^ I ordered that, just came in yesterday

The ONLY spot I can think to put mine, is where you put the key for the rear hatch...but then how the hell am i supposed to open the rear hatch with the key if I need to??
Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

What does everyone think of this idea...and would it be LEGAL since it isn't on the rear of the car...sorta

on my TA where the radio antenna comes out, could I remove that, and replaced it with the cutoff switch above? I don't know how much room they need to push/pull?

Just make it a "Push Off" switch, so if needed, just slap it down?

it would be pretty hidden....sorta defeats the purpose of the kill switch I guess lol
Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

that sounds like a bad *** idea but i dont know if it would be legal
Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing I would worry about with that is someone goign to push.pull the switch and hitting the 1/4 those dent pretty easy if you hit them like that, sen it happen once.

IMO, it would work/look fine, I don't know how the tech guys would like it, it certainly will look nice as long as the handle isn't sticking up a mile.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

I know someone with an old school door lock push/pull in the back that only has a 1/2" push/pull. You could hide that very easy as well.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a bad idea, the cut off should always be at the rear of the car, "clearly" marked and visible. Accidents "DO" happen even though it will "NEVER" happen to us having some guy trying to find your cut off switch while your car is flipped on its roof and you're knocked out and gas is pumping all over the ground after the safety crew takes 60 seconds or more to get down to your car and it is already on fire or could catch on fire isn't too smart.

The battery should be put in a box or have a firewall. My thing is if you want to race which is dangerous to start with, why wouldn't you use all of the available safety you can?

I've crashed and almost been dead, after a few surgeries and a few extra screws and metal bars and couple feet of scars, I take the required safety stuff serious, trying to get by tech to save a few pounds, few bucks or for the looks of your car isn't the main issue, your life is...

Last edited by RAGENZ28; 04-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

install the cutoff switch people need to know your car has a battery in the trunk in the event there is an accident..it looks cool too.