Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rip scott kalitta

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rip scott kalitta

since this is the drag racing section i thought it would be the best section to pay tribute to scott kalitta who lost his life yesterday in a horrible accident at englishtown while qualifying.

Last edited by chvypwr31; 06-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it, car blew up then just coasted down with the shoots open into the end of the track hit a wall at the end

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQ...eature=related
Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The track is to short ,Needs to lengthen the shut down ,Scott Kalitta was a good man and driver. Will miss him.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
The track is to short ,Needs to lengthen the shut down ,Scott Kalitta was a good man and driver. Will miss him.
The shutdown at englishtown is a 1/2 mile. I think it's sufficient, however I agree that safety measures do need to be implemented such as a remote kill or a better runoff system.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Very sad to see this happen to a great family of racers!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
The shutdown at englishtown is a 1/2 mile. I think it's sufficient, however I agree that safety measures do need to be implemented such as a remote kill or a better runoff system.
I agree! It appeared to me at least that the car was still under power when it hit the sand. I dont think he was concious(sp) after the explosion.

Jim Head made a point afterwards. Stating that most drivers would like NHRA to change the Fuel cars to 1/8m or 1000' cars instead of 1/4m.

These newer style Fuel cars are lighter and have cf brakes. This is much better than the previous decades Fuel cars. That being said 330 mph is 10x more energy in motion than 275mph is.

Bottom line these guys know the risks when they strap in just as we do when we go down the track. scott and his family have been a great contributor to the sport we all love for a long time and this tragic accident will be remembered for a long time to come.

Our prayers go out to the Kallita family.

Doug
Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98catfish
I agree! It appeared to me at least that the car was still under power when it hit the sand. I dont think he was concious(sp) after the explosion.

Jim Head made a point afterwards. Stating that most drivers would like NHRA to change the Fuel cars to 1/8m or 1000' cars instead of 1/4m.

These newer style Fuel cars are lighter and have cf brakes. This is much better than the previous decades Fuel cars. That being said 330 mph is 10x more energy in motion than 275mph is.

Bottom line these guys know the risks when they strap in just as we do when we go down the track. scott and his family have been a great contributor to the sport we all love for a long time and this tragic accident will be remembered for a long time to come.

Our prayers go out to the Kallita family.

Doug

Exactly. My condolences to everyone in his circle.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

In the 1st explosion he was most likely knocked out or killed and it looks like after the 1st explosion a chute was blown open but he didn't pull them. Then he coasted into whatever barrier was at the end of the track.

1/4 mile or 1/8th mile doesn't really matter, most top fuel cars and dragsters can go 270's - 280's in the 1/8th mile, brake failure at that speed due to a driver being hurt or mechanical failure would be pretty bad either way.

Remote kill switch is cool, but if your driver is not on the brakes it's going to be bad. It's horrible the way the guy died hopefully it will bring some better safety precautions in the shut down areas, whether it be uphill, sand or gravel pits, something needs to be done in case of something just like this.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe a tail hook!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

tail hook, only thing I have seen is either sand or gravel pits that are deep, it'll mess the car up a bit but it'll drag it down pretty fast. Maybe some kind of high speed break away netting in series so each net will hold and break with a certain force, after a few sets of net it would stop it, kind of like a bullet going through multiple panels, each one slows it down. Who knows I am sure they will think of something.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
tail hook, only thing I have seen is either sand or gravel pits that are deep, it'll mess the car up a bit but it'll drag it down pretty fast. Maybe some kind of high speed break away netting in series so each net will hold and break with a certain force, after a few sets of net it would stop it, kind of like a bullet going through multiple panels, each one slows it down. Who knows I am sure they will think of something.
What I meant by tail hook was sarcasm! theese cars can stop no problem unless a tragedy like Scott Kallita where he was so obviously not in controll of that car after the first explosion! (unconscience or, well past away)