Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Reduction: Removing HVAC/Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weight Reduction: Removing HVAC/Heater Core

MODS I apologise if this is in the incorrect section. But I searched around and couldn't find a more appropriate place.

There isn't a clear "how to" section for removing the HVAC system/Heater Core. But I did it today w/o taking the dash out.
HOWEVER! You will DESTROY the heater core. So if you want to do this, take into consideration that you WILL NOT be able to put it back in later.

THIS WRITE UP IS ASSUMING YOUR AIR CONDITIONING IS REMOVED!

FROM THE INSIDE:
Take out the glove box (and all the **** you have in there) and pull back the carpet.
The glove box has 3 7mm screws holding it in. Push in the sides of the glove box (sort of like tabs) and it will pop right out.

FROM THE ENGINE BAY:
Remove the PCM and get the wires out of the way.
Remove the hose claps from the hoses leading away and to the heater core and water pump.
There is a bracket connected to the hoses with a torque bit screw holding the bracket into the frame of the car, right next to the headers.

Remove all the 5mm small bolts you see surrounding the black housing containing the heater core

Remove all the 10mm bolts you see surrounding the heater core going into the firewall.

FROM THE INSIDE OF THE CAR
Remove all the 5mm bolts you see and whatever 10mm bolts you can see.

Time to break ****!
Take a "big *** pry-bar" and start to destroy the black housing around the heater core.
It helps if you have someone inside the care pulling a pushing the components out.

You won't be able to get the ducting out of the car and whatever is behind the radio obviously. But you can get to your back plugs and can install a BMR (or whoever you choose) plate to hide the hole in the firewall.

You'll have to use common sense when you do this, but you'll see that it'll slowly start to come apart. You'll see as you go along that more 5mm and 10mm bolts will reveal themselves.

Took me about 3 hours, I will post pics when I get home. They aren't step by step, but it shows you that it can be done.

If you have questions ask them, I'll try and answer um. I know this isn't the best write-up but I searched on here for a while and couln't find anything better.

Last edited by PhillyLS1; 08-16-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Is'nt there a way to remove all the AC crap and keep it in one piece?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samson_420
Is'nt there a way to remove all the AC crap and keep it in one piece?
The AC sure. But the heater core no. If you want to keep everything in working condition you need to take the whole dash out.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Here's all the junk you'll take out. Kiss it goodbye.

Here's where you'll have to work under the dash. Best to put the seat all the way back and crawl under there.

As you can see the whole thing is out, without removing the dash.

Here's how much it cleans up the engine bay.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when my motor comes out later down the road im just going to break it out from under the hood and add a sealed plate over the hole so i can still use my heater. and not run AC at all
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
when my motor comes out later down the road im just going to break it out from under the hood and add a sealed plate over the hole so i can still use my heater. and not run AC at all
as far as I know when you take the heater core out from the bay the heater is FUBAR.
Summit has some nice electric alternatives for the stock heater.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
8 Second Club

Keith can you upload the pics again, I'm in the process of doing this now.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction: Removing HVAC/Heater Core