Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Local Guy dyno'd G5X2 cam with heads ported for that cam..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 05:53 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Local Guy dyno'd G5X2 cam with heads ported for that cam..

Where are all these high hp (450+ rwhp) heads/cam cars? I posted a few months ago asking anyone to dyno their car at MTI and break 450 rwhp without dyno tricks, and I would pay for the dyno. Guess what there were about 800 views and not one person stepped up to the challenge. I have seen literally hundreds of heads/cam cars dynoed and not one has broken the 450 rwhp mark - at least on MTI's dyno. Heck I only know of 5 MTI heads/cam cars that have hit 440+ rwhp. So take all the 450+ rwhp dynoes with a grain of salt or two.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leo,
What are the average H & C cars dynoing on the MTI dyno?
Phillip
Old 09-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to think I had a big cam..
Old 09-25-2003, 01:25 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Leo,
Phillip
The average MTI heads/cam cars M6's - are making 420-435 rwhp. I had posted the challenge and said it was good for one whole month, no one wanted to take me up on it. I guess there aren't any of those 460-470 rwhp h/c cars around Texas. Heck I was suprised someone with the famous GX5X2-R2D2 cam didn't step up.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leo,
Phillip
The average MTI heads/cam cars M6's - are making 420-435 rwhp. I had posted the challenge and said it was good for one whole month, no one wanted to take me up on it. I guess there aren't any of those 460-470 rwhp h/c cars around Texas. Heck I was suprised someone with the famous GX5X2-R2D2 cam didn't step up.
It's already been proved local to DFW that LGM dyno numbers are very close, sometimes lower, to other dynos. Why does it have to be MTI?

Are you questioning my word when I say I did 447 rwhp with NO DYNO tricks whatsoever on two separate days. Not worth arguing about.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it's tough to digest that these cars are making 450rwhp with these big cams. But I tried one on the shop car just to see what my results were..and well it makes over 450rwhp consistantly with the right heads.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Shorty Director

I know it's tough to digest that these cars are making 450rwhp with these big cams. But I tried one on the shop car just to see what my results were..and well it makes over 450rwhp consistantly with the right heads.
I am sure it is happening somewhere, but I just want to see those big #'s on our local dyno.. Maybe it is something in our air..
Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Shorty Director

Who is the closest to Tampa, Florida who has dyno'd 440rwhp plus with a 346ci? I am willing to pay for your gas and shack you up while you are here for a dyno.. Hydr Cam ONLY..
Old 09-25-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey leo you know it is also easy to pull dyno tricks to read lower, so who would anyone want to waste their time doing that? heres a deal if someone walks in there and dyno's 450 you get down on your knees.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:22 PM
7 Second Club

I am up in the air about these high dynoing cars 450+. My car went 124.6mph and dynoed mid 420s on a local dyno. The latest setup I am running is over 12.0:1 Cr., a big cam and still didnt hit 450rwhp. IMO, the setup is very close to all of the others on the market(producing 450+rwhp). My heads have roughy the same intake/exhaust efficiency. I am running similar headers with the same bolt-ons. I thought that my new combo would definitely be over 450rwhp but I was wrong. But you know what, if my car did low 11s @ 124.6 dynoing mid 420s than it has to be faster now considering it dynos just over 440rwhp with what I consider a VERY big setup. Obviously there is something that I am missing. I have gone over all of the parts within my combination with a fine tooth comb and the only 2 things that may be a bottleneck....
1) Intake manifold
2) ECU programming
3) Corsa indy mufflers

Lets face it, I had one of the big names touch up my cylinder heads(who said they were great before) and picked up 30cfm in parts and 4-10 elsewhere PER CYLINDER. One thing that I did find interesting when I was dynoing I had ZERO knock retard on pump gas. You ask why is that significant, well I am running 55/56 cc chambers with a thin headgasket = 12.2:1cr. Everyone said this combo WILL NOT work on pump gas. Well @ 28 degrees of timing it didn't knock once. A friend of mine said I need to try and maximize the timing curve to get alittle more power.

Looking at the problem in a very simple light, a motor is just an air pump, the more air you get in and out the more HP your going to make bottom line. If someone has found a way to slightly modify the LS6 intake to gain 10-20cfm that is probably one of the differences.
Phillip
Old 09-25-2003, 02:49 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

hey leo you know it is also easy to pull dyno tricks to read lower, so who would anyone want to waste their time doing that? heres a deal if someone walks in there and dyno's 450 you get down on your knees.
What would be the benefit of pulling tricks to dyno lower - genius? I had made a challenge with specific rules - NO EWP, solid rollers, taking off the serpentine belt, race gas, or open headers. I wanted to see a heads/cam car with a stock bottom end make over 450 rwhp, I issued the challenge not MTI. In the past 5 years I've been to sevral shops and have yet to see it. I'm very familiar with MTI's dyno and have yet to see them even produce a car of that power - that is streetable, you know like the a/c and brakes work properly and the car idles at 1,000 rpm or less. I'm sure once the LSX intake comes out 450 rwhp won't be a problem. I guess Houston doesn't get that great air they do in NY where there are cars dynoing 460-470 rwhp.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure it is happening somewhere, but I just want to see those big #'s on our local dyno.. Maybe it is something in our air..
Vince i know it seems crazy, and honestly, mark and i talked about these cams a LOT the years i lived up there full time. on his dyno we never saw anything over 430ish rwhp and most were in the 415 rwhp. then he started putting in teh big cams, over 230+ (at the time mine was the big cam duration) and when he put in a cam very very similar (or the same?) specs at LGM's big cam, it made 461 rwhp through his moser with 4.10 gears and NO TRICKS. i think a TON has to do with the tuning, as these big rwhp cars are making killer TQ as well and if you notice, the small rwhp cars dont. i live and am from south florida, seen plenty of the cars here and have lived in teh KC area and seen nearly all of the fast cars up there dyno and well, i can say at least for RMS that his dyno is real. i do know for a fact that so many shops will do what the owner of the car says, and if they want MAXED dyno effort then the shops will give them exactly that. if that means leaning the crap out of the car, open headers, and race gas, then that is what you get. MANY of the 450+ rwhp cars to exactly that. Mark didnt. hell with his driveshaft (not CF) moser etc, he has been hurt by those items (on the dyno).

Also, the air has nothing to do with HELPING shops where RMS is at! lol, the Kansas CIty area has some of the WORST DA not including mountain areas. in the summer it is NORMAL to hav DA of over +4000 feet! the winter is not great either when compared to sea level Bradenton and its high pressure fronts in January with DA as low as -2000 feet we have seen. so toss that one up in the air (no pun intended bro)
Old 09-25-2003, 04:00 PM
7 Second Club

You say that alot of it has to do with the tuning. Well let me ask you a question what can change the power production of the car?
1) Air/Fuel ratio
2) Timing

AKAIK, that is the only two things. If your a/f is deat set @ 12.8-13.0 than the only thing you can look to is timing. If timing is the thing that alot of people are bullshitting saying that 26-28 degrees is max advance. MY car held stable @ 28 degrees of advance with 12.2:1cr and pump gas so I know that there is somethign left in that table.
Phillip
Old 09-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Shorty Director

Gator I would still like to see if for myself..
Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 PM

Youll see a 440+ N/A sometime soon Vince. Ill do it at SS so you can trust them. Itll probably be like 2 months away though
Old 09-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Shorty Director

Well lets get her done..

Quick Reply: Local Guy dyno'd G5X2 cam with heads ported for that cam..