Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

T-Rex Dyno Numbers/sound clips...Post em Here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-Rex Dyno Numbers/sound clips...Post em Here.

Okay, the Thunder T-Rex cam has been popped in a bunch of cars and I have not seen much in the way of dyno numbers yet.

Let's see if we can get some of the people who have the T-Rex cam post some Dyno numbers, and/or soundclips ... since I am sure there are plenty of interested people.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting to see some numbers myself.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 1 customer that runs this.We did a Cam only swap into a 99 that had longtubes/ORP..The dyno #'s were under 400hp.Not what we wanted to see.Now we are switching to a LS6 intake/ported TB..When all is set and done we will post.I'm sure it will be over 400,but not the 450 it was implied to be...We'll see..
Old 03-25-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I have 1 customer that runs this.We did a Cam only swap into a 99 that had longtubes/ORP..The dyno #'s were under 400hp.Not what we wanted to see.Now we are switching to a LS6 intake/ported TB..When all is set and done we will post.I'm sure it will be over 400,but not the 450 it was implied to be...We'll see..
Something is obviously wrong with this picture. JMX that does ls1 howto had a cam in his car and added the LS6 intake to it and put 29 more rwhp down. All the little bolt ons count to make the setup work. Smokin01T/A put this cam in his car with the stock tune and made 410 rwhp, but he has ALL the bolt ons. Kind of like trying to get Corvette power with a stock Yugo with a fart can on it.... Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

i made just over 400 with stock tune through a 12bolt with 4.10's. what were the mods on the car that didnt do so well. was it through a 12 bolt or true duals. the cam likes the true dual setup. i had zero timing adjustment and running rich up top. i also only had the rev limiter at 6600. the dyno graph was still climbing when it hit it, so ill know in the next week or so what the final results are. need to finish replacing my fried clutch. ill put a link to the sound clip in a minute. i also swaped to the 4.56's and still have a posi. ill see what jason looses with his 12 bolt with the same gears and a spool, the posi eats a few more hp. so ill be able to say really closely to what i would have with a stock rear. also, keep in mind jason has a fresh motor. im sure the 99 is up on miles a bit.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

SMOKIN01TA- What did it do tuned? Why all the secrecy? In previous posts, you made it sound like there have been more than one tuning session, what were the numbers, good or bad?

Shawn
Old 03-25-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
SMOKIN01TA- What did it do tuned? Why all the secrecy? In previous posts, you made it sound like there have been more than one tuning session, what were the numbers, good or bad?

Shawn
Shawn
it hasnt been on the dyno yet with the tune
geoff slaped jasons edit file in my car 5 second before we left for the sbso. never got to see were the a/f was or the timing. no idea what it makes yet. still needs find tuning im sure. that why i said ill let yall know in a week or so when i finish my clutch and get it straped down again. it has been dynoed twice so far. but it was with open headers one time and another day with a y-pipe. none with tuning.

Last edited by SMOKIN01TA; 03-26-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

here is the sound clip that derty shot with my car on the trailer at the sbso.
im the one with my head under the hood. hope the link still works.
http://www.derty.org/images/ls1tech/MOV01685.MPG
Old 03-25-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
it hasnt been on the dyno yet with the tune
geoff slaped jasons edit file in my car 5 second before we left for the sbso. never got to see were the a/f was or the timing. no idea what it makes yet. still needs find tuning im sure. that why i said ill let yall know in a week or so when i finish my clutch and get it straped down again.
I'd have to say you put down a good run considering 1 first time @ the track with the new set up, 2nd and foremost running the car w/ a burnt clutch....
Old 03-25-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99WS6LS1T/A
I'd have to say you put down a good run considering 1 first time @ the track with the new set up, 2nd and foremost running the car w/ a burnt clutch....
considering im probably still loosing a few hp to a final tune, i pulled the worst 60 foot ever since i was on stock tires and still managed 11's at 118mph. i was not to disappointed. you loose 2-4 mph with the fried clutch. well see what happens. not to mention i shifted slower and weight as much as a tank
Old 03-25-2004, 09:54 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Guy's, another thing to remember is the TR car made that 455 rwhp # through a 10 bolt. If you're running a 12 bolt, you will not duplicate that #.

Just because you see one car on the internet do it, does not mean you're going to do it too...
Old 03-25-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian
Guy's, another thing to remember is the TR car made that 455 rwhp # through a 10 bolt. If you're running a 12 bolt, you will not duplicate that #.

Just because you see one car on the internet do it, does not mean you're going to do it too...
Thank You, every car is different.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

this thread sure died quick. you mean with as many TRex cams that have been sold. there is only two of us with any type of results. im curious to see how its doing in other cars like mine.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

I know this doesn't help, but sometime after the end of the month, when the railroad slows down, I'll be putting in my T-Rex and getting it dyno tuned... this will be through unported heads, QTP headers, single cutout (if its in by then) and SLP lid with free ram air mod... car is an '02 Z28, M6, stock 10bolt (3.42s), 73k miles on the motor...mine is one of the ones with a stock LS6 block... I promise to post some numbers as soon as the work and dyno tuning are through...
Old 03-26-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverTurtle
I know this doesn't help, but sometime after the end of the month, when the railroad slows down, I'll be putting in my T-Rex and getting it dyno tuned... this will be through unported heads, QTP headers, single cutout (if its in by then) and SLP lid with free ram air mod... car is an '02 Z28, M6, stock 10bolt (3.42s), 73k miles on the motor...mine is one of the ones with a stock LS6 block... I promise to post some numbers as soon as the work and dyno tuning are through...
that will be a good refference for what to expect from normal mileage cars with 10bolts. interested to see the results. good luck. be sure to dyno with duals and not with a y-pipe. your leaving about 8 hp on the table.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:10 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Originally Posted by Damian

Yep, which is precisely why I started this thread ... I wanted to see some of the real world dyno numbers people were putting down with this cam and different setups. I also wanted to hear a few more soundclips then the 2 I have found so far.

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
this thread sure died quick. you mean with as many TRex cams that have been sold. there is only two of us with any type of results. im curious to see how its doing in other cars like mine.
Seriously, where the hell are all the people who have this cam? Come out from hiding and tell us some numbers!!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1999 Camaro

I have the cam, Pacesetter headers, Pacesetter bottle neck y-pipe without cats, lid, LS6 manifold, ported throttle body, SLP loudmouth and the factory 10 bolt.

I have not dyno'd since the throttle body & manifold install but I am sure I have 400 rwhp now but not over 410. My tuner really knows his stuff, he can pull 15 rwhp from 3,000 rpm across the entire rpm band on a stock car.

I don't know how Thunder got 450 rwhp, not calling b.s. but damn...............450.

Also, it could be my dyno, I see other people with xxx brand heads and a xxx cam and they run 12.00 @ 118 for example but someone with the same exact brand of heads and same exact cam will have 40 rwhp less and run the same times or most of the time even faster!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

i know of three different sound clips, mine, jasons and i think it is joe dieso that has one in that other thread in this area. joe's is nice and quiet. wish i could get mine that way.

well, he posted as i was typing.
joe. i saw the car make 450, it aint bs. but is is a fresh motor with a very precise build.
i probably have 430-435 with the tune and a stock rear. well see if his extra 20 gives him the edge where it counts in a month or so when we both get up and running again.

Last edited by SMOKIN01TA; 03-26-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You heard the car with three bullets? You heard it with only one bullet I think. It's too quiet now but before the two smaller bullets it sounded like a animal, it was un-real. I have to run it quiet whether I like to or not, I can't draw cops to me, if I get stopped without cats I'm porked, this is my only car.

I know Thunder isn't putting up false numbers, I am very content with the power I make for just a cam, hell, I gained 70-80 honest rwhp from just a plain old cam, very impressive to me. Maybe it is the motor, I don't know, oh well, I'm content with my car, it pulls more than my buddies milled head & cam car.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Joe DIESO
You heard the car with three bullets? You heard it with only one bullet I think. It's too quiet now but before the two smaller bullets it sounded like a animal, it was un-real. I have to run it quiet whether I like to or not, I can't draw cops to me, if I get stopped without cats I'm porked, this is my only car.
i hear ya. i have a y pipe with a singe bullet at the axle and it sounds almost as bad as open headers, i cant be driving around here like that. im hooking it up through the borlas with a full plate
sorry about all the posts, we are dead at work, it is so boring, this keeps me busssy.

Quick Reply: T-Rex Dyno Numbers/sound clips...Post em Here.