Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

AFR 205's, Ed Curtis Cam, EPS Tune **460/420**

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So ive been lurking on this thread for awhile. Really nice results Whigham. Real nice! I just made the first runs with water/meth today and it completely eliminated the ping ive been getting. Im at 30 degrees and if I remember correctly my dcr is 8.5...I'd venture a guess you could get at least anothet 2 degrees based on what im seeing...and guess what...nitro meth/methanol. You can inject that too. I may pick some up, but I really like the water/meth thus far. Ill dyno again Friday...see if I can get any more timing.

One thing that bothers me about the alky kit is the different little boxes and the fact that heatsinking is even a concern. Thus far, snow kit hasn't even gotten warm, and it kicks on pretty low and lives in my glovebox. I helped a buddy put a circuit in a tic tac box as an ignition interrupt on his WRX. It could pass 240amps without needing heatsinking...the meth pump says 11a on the label...just makes me suspicious of the alky kit. It may be better, im sure it works fine, but something seems a little off. I could give you technical reasoning as an EE, but its not important and they may have legitimate reasons for doing what they do.. Lack of a tank filter on the snow kit is a little spooky, and I did have to extend every wire which kinda sucks given I paid quite a lot...the nozzle adapters are ridiculously expensive, but they work well. Tech support at Snow was awesome.

Sorry if too much meth info.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed, gents, on all accounts. I think I've done about all I can do, minus the electric water pump. I might get a wild hair in the next month or so and go Cometic and fly cut, just to see how far I can take not only a 150k mile short block, but also "stock" AFR 205's.

I believe there's a 500 to be had, but at what cost and expense? The Lindy tools are only 77.50 each (Need 2, can resale when done) and of course the Cometics. Final custom cam from Ed and call it a day.

Geoff said with the right suspension he whole heartedly believes its a 10.50's car, so that in itself FAR surpassed my expectations.

As for the Meth kit... Eh... I view it as a power adder. Shame on me, but I want to stay FULL NA with nothing else.

**EDIT**

Weasel, just saw your reply. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I very well may look into it. I'm not the least bit scared to say I'm incredibly uneducated about it and how it works. So it works all the time? Or it kicks in at a certain TPS range? I'm guessing it requires a sort of timing twister? I really need to research this more.

On a side note, I run nothing but 93 octane here. I may even push the DCR TO 9:1. I'm right at 8.5:1 as is now, I believe, or damn close.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I might have the same wild hair... Tooley...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

The setup I am using works off of injector duty cycle. You just run two wires to any injector and set the thresholds. Thats it, no dorking with anything else. I just ran it with it 90 and 100% humidity outside. The charge cooling makes the car feel like its 50-60 outside. Im sold, I hate how it feels like a dog when its hot outside.

On mine a little jet kicks in if you accelerate much beyond normal 25% DC for me. If you hammer it beyond 55% DC in my case a second bigger jet kicks in. In this heat you can feel it.

Whigham, im like you...I see it as a power adder and im an na guy...at least if were talking nitro. But meth is a grey area to me...isnt it just cheap octane? Ill give you it is a little more ghetto than running E85...but I cant get that here.

That said if I had the money to be an FI guy I probably would be.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:34 PM
The Scammer Hammer

That magical little nitro-methane bottle has my wheels turning...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best bang for buck is spray
Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
In my opinion, 3 hp doesn't justify the cost of one of those things.

Dave, I bet Lethal could order you whatever you want. Or, you could always sell the gift card to a Mustang/Cobra owner.
I agree, that's why I got mine used for less than half what they want for one new 3HP to the wheels isn't much but I was going for a stock internal record so it was justified for me to have one. Dr. Wig has HP unlike what I had so I could see him using that kind of cash for tires, lw wheels, etc.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I've thought about running a shot, but too many things can go wrong; too many motors have been ruined. I like this meth idea as its cheap and always there.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I've thought about running a shot, but too many things can go wrong; too many motors have been ruined. I like this meth idea as its cheap and always there.
Yeah i would only run nitrous if the NA thing got boring. Which from what i see it usually does to most people lol. Never really see meth setups on NA cars id love to see how that works out though. If E85 is available in your area i would go that route instead. Do you have anymore vids of your car in action? Thing is sweet.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

HA! HA! I got in your head! (In Nelson's voice) I went from zero to full bore on the meth pretty quick too. From feeling the "hit" from the charge cooling when the jets kick in on a hot day, no changes to the tune, I think I should have done it sooner. . .nitro is crazy expensive, but I may need to pick some of that up too.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:18 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Just this one I took Saturday before coming back to the rig.

Just me dicking around outside the house. Wife cut the camera off right before I went sideways drifting around the corner

I want to call Snow and Alky both and see what they think. I like the idea of it only costing about 7 bucks a month and always being "on" so to speak. If I find out I can run a lot more compression NA (haven't gotten anything definitive yet on that) it'd be nice to have a street car running 12+ static and 9+ dynamic without worrying about anything.

Makes me glad I studded the heads. If its true, ill pull em in favor of Cometic .040's, notching the pistons, and have Ed spec me a custom cam with the higher compression in mind, since that helps to eat up the duration and make it more "friendly"
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM
The Scammer Hammer

And now that I'm using a speed density tune, here's another thought...

Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Banned

ITBs? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
The Scammer Hammer

You'd be SHOCKED to know the cost. Cheaper than upgrading to a FAST 102....
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks nice, but I'd put that money towards putting at least a 12 bolt rear in it.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And now that I'm using a speed density tune, here's another thought...

What's the details on this?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Looks nice, but I'd put that money towards putting at least a 12 bolt rear in it.
No worries there. Wife gave me the OK for an S60

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
What's the details on this?
OBX LS1 ITB...

If I wasn't offshore I'd be on the phone getting opinions, rather than email / FB Messaging for thoughts / opinions.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Ew OBX.

You know that's going to fit like ****, right?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Gotta link for that thing? OBXs' site isnt working, though maybe im missing something. Are you serious about this thing? doesnt look like something youd want on a driver.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

In the import world plenty of people have used OBX ITB"s without issues the only problem they are known for is sticking TBs etc and sometimes the MAP sensor hole is oblong certain things like that. But IMO its worth a shot, if worse comes to worse it can always be fixed or tweaked to work.

Quick Reply: AFR 205's, Ed Curtis Cam, EPS Tune **460/420**