Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

416/Advanced Induction LS3/Fast 102/Tick Custom cam/550rwhp 500rwtq

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 416/Advanced Induction LS3/Fast 102/Tick Custom cam/550rwhp 500rwtq

Thought I'd share these dyno results from a LS3 based combo I spec'd for a customer in Puerto Rico with a GTM kit car(2300-2400lbs).

IMO it's a very basic combination that shows what proper planning and good parts can do when the right people put those parts together.

Aaron@Texas Speed supplied the rotating assembly as well! Thanks Aaron!

-GMPP LS3 Crate Motor
-Lunati 4" stroke crankshaft
-Lunati 6.125" rods
-Wiseco -4cc 4.080" pistons
-SDPC supplied LS3 castings CNC ported by Advanced Induction to 270cc(2.165"/1.59" stock valves) 68cc combustion chambers
-11.50:1 static compression 8.47:1 dynamic compression
-.051 GM gaskets
-Fast LSXR 102mm intake manifold
-Fast 102mm throttle body
-Tick Performance custom LS3 stroker camshaft 239/252 .624"/.595" 114+4
-Custom 1x7/8" headers
-Custom 3" dual exhaust
-TR6060 transmission
-Porsche trans axle

Here are some pictures of the exhaust system and engine bay.

I think it's awesome to be able to make 550/500 with a set of CNC production castings, a relatively mild camshaft and a Fast intake. I think it just goes to show the potential these castings have with the right camshaft and work to the cylinder head.

Seeing the torque does disappoint me some as I was hoping to see the torque curve peak sooner. I specified this camshaft almost a full year ago and am just now seeing the results from it. I've been doing my LS3 cams a bit differently now. Since doing things differently I've seen the RPM that peak torque occurs come down to a lower RPM with more under the curve power because of it.

I have also not seen any reduction in peak power utilizing the way I have been specifying square port cams recently. Which is a win win in my book.

Here is the dyno graph:

Keep in mind this is a 2400lb. car! The customer drives this car on the road course a lot. He makes very short work of those pesky Vipers, Ferrari's, and Corvettes with this kind of power to weight ratio!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I bet that is a blast to drive, that power to weight ratio would probly put just about anything on a road coarse to shame...talk about a high tech go cart lol!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Launching!

martin, do you think this engine could handle 10-14 lbs of boost? turbo size will probably s400+
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice results! Thanks for the shout out Martin, let me know if I can help with anything else!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome numbers and car. Can we get a pic of the car itself?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WVhuggerSS
Wow I bet that is a blast to drive, that power to weight ratio would probly put just about anything on a road coarse to shame...talk about a high tech go cart lol!
I'll have to see if I can get some lap times out of him to really see what this thing does.

Maybe I can even get a comparison of some other super cars he runs with.
Originally Posted by pastvertical
martin, do you think this engine could handle 10-14 lbs of boost? turbo size will probably s400+
I wouldn't run 10-14psi on this engine with this much compression unless you lived at high altitude where atmosphere is less dense. This lowers dynamic compression due to less air mass filling the cylinder creating less pressure once it's compressed.

Then and only then would I run this much compression and I'd be very picky about who I let tune it(I'd tune it myself lol). Also a colder plug is a must with this much compression and boost.
Originally Posted by Sales1@Texas-speed
Very nice results! Thanks for the shout out Martin, let me know if I can help with anything else!
No problem Aaron. I was hoping to see torque peak at 5000-5200rpm instead of 5500rpm which would of made more under the curve.

That said, in a 2400lb. car, I don't think it matters in this case! Probably helps!

You were just as much a part of Hugo's build as I was. As always great service and parts from TSP!
Originally Posted by quik01ss
Awesome numbers and car. Can we get a pic of the car itself?
I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to see thees numbers. This build is so close to mine, the only difference is I have TFS 235 and a fast 90/90 set up and one of your custom cam Martin. Just hope to get somewhere close to thees number.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unique stuff.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Beautiful job Martin! As always
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Martin so what are you doing different now with camshaft selection vs a year ago? Are you giving the rectangle ports cylinder heads more cam duration?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by racerx_72
Love to see thees numbers. This build is so close to mine, the only difference is I have TFS 235 and a fast 90/90 set up and one of your custom cam Martin. Just hope to get somewhere close to thees number.
David,

Yours will make great power. Yours will make more torque on top of that. I don't see why it can't come very close to these HP numbers as well.
Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Unique stuff.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Beautiful job Martin! As always
Thanks Jay!
Originally Posted by jdub38672
Martin so what are you doing different now with camshaft selection vs a year ago? Are you giving the rectangle ports cylinder heads more cam duration?
No.

More duration would be counter productive from what I have seen with the LS3 heads. Please forgive me if I seem like I am with holding information here, but I've been doing a lot of testing and watching trends with my LS3 cams. It's not something that can be done in a few cams, or even in a few months time. This is something I've been developing for almost a year now.

I will say this as I don't want to be the cam guy that dangles the carrot in front of my customers and keeps everything secret.

The intake ports and valves of a LS3 style cylinder head are very large. Larger than 80-90% of the cathedral port cylinder heads out there.

Because they are larger, they can fill the cylinder much more efficiently with shorter intake events. Meaning the intake valve can open later, and close sooner. I was only changing my intake close event by a few degrees in comparison to a cathedral port camshaft's intake closing event.

This was hurting torque production while barely doing anything beneficial to power production past 6000rpm because of the long runner OEM style manifolds 75% of LS owners utilize on street cars. The OEM and Fast manifold style just doesn't make great torque with that late of a closing event.

So I started trying earlier closing events. What I found was astonishing. I found I could close the intake valve nearly 5-10 degrees earlier than I was closing the intake valve and not hurt peak power production. All the while boosting low end torque numbers by 10-15% and even 20% in some cases.

This has everything to do with how large the cross sectional area of a square port style cylinder head is cast with or CNC with along with how large the cross section of the intake valve is.

I now pay more attention to the spacing of the valve event intervals and how they coincide with one another. Rather than the actual valve event and having to hit a certain crank degree for a certain valve event to make X amount of power.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 10-24-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
David,

Yours will make great power as well. Yours will make more torque on top of that. I don't see why it can't come very close to these HP numbers as well.

Thanks!

Thanks Jay!

No.

More duration would be counter productive from what I have seen with the LS3 heads. Please forgive me if I seem like I am with holding information here, but I've been doing a lot of testing and watching trends with my LS3 cams. It's not something that can be done in a few cams, or even in a few months time. This is something I've been developing for almost a year now.

I will say this as I don't want to be the cam guy that dangles the carrot in front of my customers and keeps everything secret.

The intake port and valve of a LS3 style cylinder head is very large. Larger than 80-90% of the cathedral port cylinder heads out there.

Because it is larger it fills the cylinder much more efficiently with shorter intake events. Meaning the intake valve can open later, and close sooner. I was only changing my intake close event by a few degrees in comparison to a cathedral port camshaft's intake closing event.

This was hurting torque production while barely doing anything beneficial to power production past 6000rpm because of the long runner OEM style manifolds 75% of LS owners utilize on street cars. The OEM and Fast manifold style just doesn't make great torque with that late of a closing event.

So I started trying earlier closing events. What I found was astonishing. I found I could close the intake valve nearly 5-10 degrees earlier than I was closing the intake valve and not hurt peak power production. All the while boosting low end torque numbers by 10-15% and even 20% in some cases.

This has everything to do with how large the cross sectional area of a square port style cylinder head is cast or CNC with along with how large the cross section of the intake valve is.

I now pay more attention to the spacing of the valve events intervals and how they coincide with one another. Rather than the actual valve event and having to hit a certain crank degree for a certain valve event to make X amount of power.

Hope this helps.
Yes this helps out a lot thanks for the information Tick.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

here is a video of the his car from last year.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9GIgaJMld0

here is a picture of the car. (not sure why the pictures is huge maybe a mod can fix it for me.)

Great cars! love mine!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Wow! That's the first time I've ever seen a picture of Hugo's car!!!

Gorgeous!!!

Linxs have you met Hugo before? Or did you pull those videos off a GTM forum you're a member of?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Wow! That's the first time I've ever seen a picture of Hugo's car!!!

Gorgeous!!!

Linxs have you met Hugo before? Or did you pull those videos off a GTM forum you're a member of?
Thanks for the nice comments about the car. I haven't had the pleasure to meet Linxs in person. I have only met him in Thefactoryfiveforum dot com he is building one amazing twin turbo GTM.

Originally Posted by Sales1@Texas-speed
I really have to thank Martin from Tick and Aaron from Texas speed. They really listened to what my HP and TQ targets were and made a combination that really delivered. If I build another engine you can bet I will contact both of them again.

In the engine specs there is one thing that its different from what Martin wrote. I still have the stock LS3 90mm throttle body not the 102mm and the transaxle is a Mendeola SDR unit.

Martin emailed me the link to this thread and requested i added some more pictures and video of the car so here they are.

The roof on the car is now painted black instead of white as in the previous picture.

This is the interior when it was almost done.

The screen on the dash controls all the electrical system on the car. Its made by a company called ISIS Power. It also allows the car to be controlled with a smart phone.

This the only video I have of the car on the dyno It was taken by a friend with a cell phone so video and audio are not the best. This was doing a 4th gear pull up to about 5K during tuning.

Last edited by Kempo; 10-25-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:01 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Wow. Very well done!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

Thank you for posting Hugo! You have one absolutely unique machine that you probably cannot replicate!

I love the color and I love the sound!!! The interior is also very European as well!

Have you had the car to the road course lately Hugo?

Quick Reply: 416/Advanced Induction LS3/Fast 102/Tick Custom cam/550rwhp 500rwtq