Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Cam Motion 5.3 "drop in" cam results, +41rwhp/22rwtq

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02DFWTahoe
Did you ever get the cam swap finished for the Cam Motion 10 Stage 2? In the process of swapping our Tahoe to this cam right now, as it had a collapsed lifter. The specs on the cam look good, and in comparison to what the OP posted for the smaller cam, I'm pretty excited about this cam.
I ended up staying with my ls6 cam. After thinking about it, I decided I didn't want to tear everything down, because I know me... Things would have snowballed even more lol. I swapped heads and manifold but that's as far as I wanted to go.

Anyway, sounds like you had success with this cam swap, good to hear that!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished installing this exact cam in my 2008 All Terrian Sierra 1500/SLT Z71 with the LH6. My DOD lifters were on their way out so I figured since I was in there... I installed the same Blue GMPP valve springs and also threw in a set of hardened TSP 7.400 PR's I had laying around from my RX7 project. Engine is stock beside flowmaster cat back and GMPP CAI. I am running a Russ K tune specific for the LH6 but I made some adjustments to fit my needs.

Anyway, I can't say anything bad about this cam. The truck is much much more peppy and takes way less throttle to get around town. Mid range power is outstanding and it pulls STRONG to 6k. I use HP Tuners and the retune was easy(I have a wideband permamently installed) and my upper KPA timing map is pretty similar to a C5 Z06.

I am very pleased! Nice job Cam Motion!

Last edited by FC3S Murray; 02-16-2016 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gmoney5.3 (10-18-2022)
Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's hard to beat for a set it and forget it type deal where you don't have to worry about checking springs, needing a larger converter, or needing to rev it to make power (but it is a very big difference in the upper RPMs over a stock cam when you do want to rev up that high).
Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Been following this thread for a few months now & will be using the 10 Stage 2 in the 07 low mileage L33 I'm swapping into a 87 GMC Sierra. While not exactly a daily driver, it will be mostly an around town truck, fetching lumber home from Lowes, or occasionally towing the car hauler, dragging home the next project my wife says I don't need, lol!

It has a 3.73 rear end with 255-70x15 tires, 2 1/2" true dual exhaust, no crossover & Walker Quiet Flow mufflers. The truck is no where near as heavy as the newer generation, weighing in the neighborhood of 45-4600 pounds with 2 people & a full tank of gas.

Now if I might ask a couple of questions from those who know a lot more than me: first, although I have done a couple previous LS swaps, this will be my first swap that I am venturing beyond stock. Other than removing an intake, I've never actually cracked open a LS engine before. Along with the springs, I had planned to change out the lifters. With less than 100k miles on the engine, should I also take the opportunity to go ahead & replace the timing chain & gear like I would an old school small block while I have it apart?

Second, would there be any benefit or noticeable gain from installing the TBSS intake I have sitting here?

And finally, I especially like the fact that the stock converter works great with this cam, but I'm curious, would there be any advantage to going to a slightly larger stall, say a 24-2600 rpm stall, or will that be detrimental to how I am planning on using the truck? Other than maybe when towing the trailer up a hill, I seriously doubt this truck will ever see WOT.

Thanks, & I look forward to the continued discussion!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tuna65
Along with the springs, I had planned to change out the lifters. With less than 100k miles on the engine, should I also take the opportunity to go ahead & replace the timing chain & gear like I would an old school small block while I have it apart?

Second, would there be any benefit or noticeable gain from installing the TBSS intake I have sitting here?

And finally, I especially like the fact that the stock converter works great with this cam, but I'm curious, would there be any advantage to going to a slightly larger stall, say a 24-2600 rpm stall, or will that be detrimental to how I am planning on using the truck? Other than maybe when towing the trailer up a hill, I seriously doubt this truck will ever see WOT.

Thanks, & I look forward to the continued discussion!
If you are going to have the engine torn down enough to do lifters, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a new timing chain. You can get one from a GM dealer for about ~$45. Cam Motion might also stock them and be able to send you one with the cam and lifter. Gears should be fine but I would inspect them visually. I've never had to replace one.

I've heard the TBSS intake is worth some power but not sure how much. I think it's a more common swap with more heavily modded trucks. With the cam you might see some gains but I honestly haven't done much research on it.

The higher stall converter will build more heat, drop your in town MPG, and some people just don't like the feel. It would really depend on the specific converter as to how much and if it would be detrimental overall. Some of the cheap converters are not made well and lose efficiency to gain stall speed. IMO for this particular cam and how you describe wanting to use your truck along with you already having a 3.73 rear gear I'm not sure a converter would be desirable or worth the cost. If you liked to hot rod around a little it would definitely make the truck quicker and more fun, but that doesn't sound like what you want to do with it.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Appreciate the insight. My hotrodding days are 25 years in the rear view mirror, I'm mainly concerned with the truck being a dependable daily driver with the grunt to take care of the hauling chores when needed. If the mood to smoke tires ever strikes me again, that's what the 68 big block Camaro SS & 80 Z/28 is for, lol! And actually, at some point in the future, both of those will be upgraded to hydraulic rollers & fuel injection. And since both are 4 speed cars, maybe even T56's. But that will be in a few years after I retire.

I was late to the LS game, growing up with traditional small blocks, they intimidated me. After riding in a swapped 67 C10, I was hooked, & read for a year before touching one. My only regret is waiting so long to jump in. Again, thanks for the information!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Teching In

And my first comment proves why I shouldn't be posting when I should be sleeping, my brain reverted to the small block engines. I forgot you can't replace the lifters without pulling the heads on these things. I heard the engine run before it was pulled & there was no unusual noises. So I'm not going any further into it than I have too...
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah unfortunately you will have to pull the heads. Honestly if you have the engine on an engine stand, I would say pull the heads, replace the lifters and take the heads to a machine shop and have them machined down to make the chambers 58cc. Will bump your compression ratio up to 10.5:1. I would have done that to my 243's but I was on a time constraint and local machine shop was busy. Then you could replace the lifters ( and valve springs with LS6/LS2 springs if you want to) and have the comfort of knowing all is replaced. As for your timing chain, I wouldn't bother unless the engine is super high mileage(then the valve train is a obvious must), keeps you from having to mess with the oil pump.

The LS is a VERY easy engine to assemble. Head changes are not as scary as they are put out to be as long as you get all coolant and debris out of the bolt holes.

Your truck should be a blast when done and will have plenty of power and scoot given your curb weight and gearing.

What are you doing for a tune? If you have HPTuners or your tuner is going to use it, I can shoot you my tune so you can at least use my MAF frequency curve(a starting point) and timing map. PM me if you are interested

And yes the TBSS manifold should be put on. It flows well and has been proven to increase power and trq with a wide variety of mild to aggressive cam changes in the 5.3 and 6.0

Last edited by FC3S Murray; 03-03-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

This is for all the so called exhaust "experts" and shorty header haters on this website. I just installed this afternoon a set of Doug Thorley shorties. Went out to retune with HPTuners, ended up having to add 3.5% of fuel to my MAF mid range frequencies and another 3% to my VE. The weather was damn near perfect compared to the conditions when I tuned for this cam 2 weeks ago.

My butt dyno and scanner both show increases. Mid range torque from 1800 rpm to 4k definitely improved.

Just some FYI. And yes, most likely the gains are noticed with a tune compared to bolt on a stock truck. Still, for those who don't want to go longtube, this is not a waste of money.

Last edited by FC3S Murray; 03-08-2016 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TFA303 (04-21-2020)
Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Caught a milestone happening at lunch break today.

The Cam Motion cam now has about 20k trouble free miles on it. Still runs great and the engine bay is silent from valvetrain noise.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awesome, i had probably 25k on a 5.3, gt2-3 cam, z06 springs and stock pushrods. When i traded it in it need a new 2nd gear clutch pack lol. That truck saw an absolute beating, 6600 rpms constantly. Your setup will last forever. Cant wait to do mine, car comes first
Old 03-16-2016, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dkota1968
Thats awesome, i had probably 25k on a 5.3, gt2-3 cam, z06 springs and stock pushrods. When i traded it in it need a new 2nd gear clutch pack lol. That truck saw an absolute beating, 6600 rpms constantly. Your setup will last forever. Cant wait to do mine, car comes first
That's the beauty of a setup like this, since I can set shift points at ~5800rpm it's a lot easier on the stock 4l60e but still has a wider useful powerband than stock.

As far as I know it's the factory transmission. It still shifts nice and firm so hopefully it keeps going strong for a bit longer.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Had my Tahoe(4x4) on the dyno earlier this week, 210/215 version of this cam, long tubes, tbss intake and a Volant put it at 301/356. Truck runs great, I'm glad I didn't go with a bigger cam. 3.42 rears in my Tahoe with a 32" tire and it doesn't need to downshift to pickup speed on the highway. Still have TM on as the trans is stock, but it pulls hard from 25-80 which is all I will ever need it to do. I can see where a stall would make it more fun, but it's definitely not necessary with this cam.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting thread. I've always wanted a little more mid range power out of my 00 Silverado with a 5.3. I've done a lot of towing with it in the 11 years I've had it. It's been great other than pulling a hill there's usually not quite enough power to stay in 3rd and in 2nd I have to really wind it out or go slow.

but I have a Duramax now, so the 1500 is more of a toy/cruiser, but a little more power would be nice. I have a set of Speed Engineering 1 3/4" headers on the way. I'd be interested to see how they perform with this cam if you do end up getting them.

I didn't have plans for a cam swap on the truck any time soon, but maybe I'll have to see if I can work it into the budget lol.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Looking at this cam, I noticed they list another one almost identical. Is there a difference between the two other than one has a little more lift on the intake?

LS 5.3-10 Stage 1

Duration at .050 - 205/210
Lift with 1.7 - .501/.501
Lobe separation 115
Intake center line 111
Usable RPM Range 1200-4400

LS 5.3 - 09.5 Stage 2

Duration at .050- 205/210
Lift with 1.7 - .510/.501
Lobe Separation 115
Intake Centerline 111
Usable RPM Range 1200-4400
Old 04-25-2016, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

I imagine the lift is a typo. The stage 2 for the 9.5 compression 5.3 just drops to being a stage 1 for the higher compression 5.3
Old 04-26-2016, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Gotcha, I wasn't sure what the 9.5 and 10 meant, but compression makes sense.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Default Work for me too? ?

I'm looking at swapping this cam motion 9.5 stage 2 cam into my 2011 this summer when I do a DOD delete. Along with a set of thorley tri-y long tubes and ORY. Goals are to make it long term reliable and gain as much torque as possible possible from 2000-4000 rpm. Sound like a good choice?
2011 Silverado crew cab, 43k miles, 5600+ lbs, 4x4, LC9 5.3 w/ 799 heads, 6l80e, stock stall with 40k cooler, 4.11 gears with Truetrac, stock 275/55-20 tire, 4" pvc intake with k&n filter. Currently has Black Bear tune but I'll get an in person local tune after the swap. Maybe a muffler too but not interested in increasing noise.
Thanks for any input, loved this thread.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Should be a great choice.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Bumping this up. Thinking of doing the same cam in my Rainier. I need to change the waterpump at some point as it has a slight leak so I figured I might as well throw a small cam in it. I use it tow the Camaro on an open trailer and while it currently does pretty well, having some more midrange on tap would be nice.

Is it imperative that I change springs? I'm sure it would probably be a good idea but figured I'd ask.

Quick Reply: Cam Motion 5.3 "drop in" cam results, +41rwhp/22rwtq