Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

445", TFS 245, Fast 102, direct port, 4L60E = 605/550 N/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how the msd intake would go on this?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy guacamole. I am shocked the 4l60 is holding on. Great work.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also is this a pump gas motor??...
Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Technical question, with the 4.100" crank was extra material added to the piston crown to be able to handle the nitrous? Usually you have to mill the block for Wiseco pistons if you use the 4.100" crank. If you use the 4.125" crank to raise the piston to .000" deck then there isn't enough crown to run much over a 150 shot. Was this issue addressed in this motor or is it just a myth that the 4.100" - 4.125" stroke pistons won't handle a big shot?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF or SD tune?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

I can tell this is one of those hush hush details thread/build.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say it is SD considering the Cable driven TB and 4l60 trans. I am guessing 4th Gen Camaro or 04' GTO. Everything after those would be DBW. So, if I am correct on the car they only had a 75 mm TB and doing a 90 mm conversion or LS7 MAF card wouldn't be worth it.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Pray- I have the same question as you about the longer strokes and nitrous use.....I've even seen Vengance build some longer than 4" stroke stock block engines and spray 200-300 on them.

I'm sure sticking with the 4" stroke is better for nitrous use in a stock deck block....but some people can spray a stock piston with that amount and not hurt it....seems like if you are careful with the tune then a forged piston in this case even with the higher pin location can hold up..... obviously its working in this engine.

But I wished someone with experience would chime in and let us know...Lol
Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ronn25
Pray- I have the same question as you about the longer strokes and nitrous use.....I've even seen Vengance build some longer than 4" stroke stock block engines and spray 200-300 on them.

I'm sure sticking with the 4" stroke is better for nitrous use in a stock deck block....but some people can spray a stock piston with that amount and not hurt it....seems like if you are careful with the tune then a forged piston in this case even with the higher pin location can hold up..... obviously its working in this engine.

But I wished someone with experience would chime in and let us know...Lol
First off, when are you going to call me? Second, I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to your nitrous tuning skills. I have no bigger dream than a 4.185" x 4.00" stroke solid roller motor in any LSX platform I happen to own at the time. But I am very curious about the bore to stroke ratio and nitrous use since I hate not having the fastest of what ever platform I happen to be driving at the time. So the plan for the V1 CTS-V for the moment is a 427/429 LS3 with a 250shot. We have a pretty good nitrous guy at the shop and I plan on tapping your brain as well. I know I can build a N/A motor and can make well over 600rw N/A on motor but with the extra stroke and thin piston crown I have to go with what Brian Nutter suggests for his pistons and not go over a 150 shot on his 6.125" x 4.125" pistons. 850rw on the bottle is the only way I can make this pig competitive from a roll. I don't plan on digging this thing with the glass rear end GM decided to put into the V1 V's. Unfortunately I don't do this every day like some guys do so I can't answer my own questions. Fortunately we have amazing sponsors and very technically savy people on here that do. So PLEASE, Martin, Brian, someone, give us the info we need. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pray
First off, when are you going to call me? Second, I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to your nitrous tuning skills. I have no bigger dream than a 4.185" x 4.00" stroke solid roller motor in any LSX platform I happen to own at the time. But I am very curious about the bore to stroke ratio and nitrous use since I hate not having the fastest of what ever platform I happen to be driving at the time. So the plan for the V1 CTS-V for the moment is a 427/429 LS3 with a 250shot. We have a pretty good nitrous guy at the shop and I plan on tapping your brain as well. I know I can build a N/A motor and can make well over 600rw N/A on motor but with the extra stroke and thin piston crown I have to go with what Brian Nutter suggests for his pistons and not go over a 150 shot on his 6.125" x 4.125" pistons. 850rw on the bottle is the only way I can make this pig competitive from a roll. I don't plan on digging this thing with the glass rear end GM decided to put into the V1 V's. Unfortunately I don't do this every day like some guys do so I can't answer my own questions. Fortunately we have amazing sponsors and very technically savy people on here that do. So PLEASE, Martin, Brian, someone, give us the info we need. Inquiring minds want to know.
i dont think a stock dif, ds or axles will survive 850rw from a roll either if i understood you, surley you're putting in a 8.8 right?
Old 12-25-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some day. For now going to re-entered the stocker as much as possible. This thing will only be seeing around 500rw for some time.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some day. For now going to re-entered the stocker as much as possible. This thing will only be seeing around 500rw for some time.
ahh i see, i'm treading on thin ice right now lol, i'm trying to decide if i can go with a texas speed or lingenfelter maf for my custom 4" intake... i decided to do it after all lol... texas speed comes with a screen so i'm leaning towards that one... in a perfect world with my restriction being 10 kpa if i reduce it to 1 i could get a 45rwhp gain which would put me in line with what Martin thought when he helped me with the cam
Old 12-25-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
ahh i see, i'm treading on thin ice right now lol, i'm trying to decide if i can go with a texas speed or lingenfelter maf for my custom 4" intake... i decided to do it after all lol... texas speed comes with a screen so i'm leaning towards that one... in a perfect world with my restriction being 10 kpa if i reduce it to 1 i could get a 45rwhp gain which would put me in line with what Martin thought when he helped me with the cam
I sent you pics of mine right? Just get the LS7 MAF card and pipe from PCM of NC, an extra section of 4" pipe and a silicone 90* coupler and be done with it. Mine is working great. 97-98kpa on the dyno and 101kpa on the street so the box is working like planned. You could probably use your current filter. I can send you the LS7 MAF card tune you will need if you have EFI Live.

PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why are you guys wasting your time and $ on a MAF
Large cams will not read right anyway due to reversion. You are WAY better of speed density IMO. Unlimited air intake design then. No limit to nice straight pieces of pipe for MAF's to sit in the middle of etc.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ringram
Why are you guys wasting your time and $ on a MAF
Large cams will not read right anyway due to reversion. You are WAY better of speed density IMO. Unlimited air intake design then. No limit to nice straight pieces of pipe for MAF's to sit in the middle of etc.
There are a bunch of benefits to running a MAF on a DD. With today's MAFs and ECU's there really isn't a good reason to go SD any more. Some ECU's almost have to have the MAF to run correctly depending on the transmission and how good your tuner is at getting all the dynamics tables correct.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its all tunable dude.

Not sure what the benefits are over a proper SD tune except that it will adjust better to future changes to the engine (wear, damage, part changes etc)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ringram
Its all tunable dude.

Not sure what the benefits are over a proper SD tune except that it will adjust better to future changes to the engine (wear, damage, part changes etc)
Weather is one. IAT fueling is another. Things that can be taken care of in a SD tune or with a COS depending on year. Humidity is one thing that is hard to compensated for with the MAP sensor. But to each his own.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Weather is one. IAT fueling is another. Things that can be taken care of in a SD tune or with a COS depending on year. Humidity is one thing that is hard to compensated for with the MAP sensor. But to each his own.
Also isnt the reason alot of people go speed density is because its a little less time intensive vs the hybrid system gm uses on big cam motors... But if you have a tuner that knows how to set up all the right tables and put the time into it(mine has spent days on my tune and gotten it almost perfect) it will run stronger and more consistent in alot of different conditions vs just the one its tuned SD for? Unless i'm missing something and somehow SD makes more power vs maf tune even if both are done perfectly? just don't see how that is, but i'm no tuner by any means
Old 12-30-2014, 02:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking speed density. Reason's: I'm in Florida. Therefore no change in altitude. little change in temp(apr 30* swing) and use of any induction setup. Does this make sense? Also there are other pistons besides Wesco. pistons that run right to 0 deck for 4.1 stroke. There are members here running tons of nitrios 4.1. They run with 4l80e and spools though.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

I'm pretty convince now about letting R.E.D sleeving a block for me.

Quick Reply: 445", TFS 245, Fast 102, direct port, 4L60E = 605/550 N/A