Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Finally dyno tuned my car... Highest hp "bolt on" ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I did it just to see what I could get out of the car. I want to hit 10's with the stock heads and cam.

After that, I'll likely do cam and heads on it.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Jase01
I have three questions.

1. Why, is it just for the challenge? Looking at everything you would have to optimise engine and accessory wise plus I assume a lightweight flywheel, clutch, drive shaft (manual) or auto mods, rear end and wheels etc, etc just to say it's "bolt on", surely it would be less expensive to buy even the best set of heads available and an aftermarket cam to make the same or probably more power.

2. Devil's advocate here, technically a stock LS1 cam, slight regrind maybe?

3. Have Big Hammer and HioSSilver ever been seen in the same room/area at the same time?

Jason.
1. Why not? Hp is hp....tq is tq. Both help a car accelerate. Optimization of the stock heads and cam will surely lead to a better h/c car

2. All ls1 cams were ground...even the stock ones

3. No we haven't. ....but we were planning on touching wewe's at mir. Until then sexting will have to do.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big hammer
I did it just to see what I could get out of the car. I want to hit 10's with the stock heads and cam.

After that, I'll likely do cam and heads on it.
Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
1. Why not? Hp is hp....tq is tq. Both help a car accelerate. Optimization of the stock heads and cam will surely lead to a better h/c car

2. All ls1 cams were ground...even the stock ones

3. No we haven't. ....but we were planning on touching wewe's at mir. Until then sexting will have to do.

1. Ok then, if you're going to do it all eventually, then overall it makes no real difference I guess, good luck.

2. Thanks for the tip but regrinding the stock cam with some slightly improved specs was what I was alluding to.

3. , probably a little too much info.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I think hammer has been very open about how he did it. Here's the build thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...b-spacers.html

TB spacer FTW!!! Still the funniest thing I've ever read on here!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why's everyone get so pissed when people don't spill the beans about their set up? I don't see Vetteboy sharing either lol
Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Why's everyone get so pissed when people don't spill the beans about their set up? I don't see Vetteboy sharing either lol
Whats the sense in keeping it a huge secret if you can help someone make there car just as fast with simple BOLT ON's then why not. But that's just how I would look at it.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice results. Got a big bag of tricks with this one.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I share a ton of info all the time. I just don't always spoon feed it to people who are looking for some quick fix that doesn't exist. A lot of times if you read up on my threads you'll find most all the answers you want but it's not my passion to make build threads. In fact I dislike even reading them. People have been pm'in me for the past 10 years and I do my best to help them with their setups.

Giving out my cam specs doesn't help anyone. But I can say that I've help hundreds of racers in some capacity and would rather teach how to fish then to hand someone an old fish that was once the king of the pond.

The funny thing is that ones who benefit from the info and run some successful and even record times often catch a case of amnesia and conveniently forgot who got them there. But the ones that do appreciate the knowledge and the effort make it worth while.

FWIW, my ls6 bolt on setup made 413 on a mustang dyno that reads more than 10% lower than the local dynojet, thru 4.10's and without any effort to make a high dyno number.

Give'em hell at the drag strip Hammer!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
I've seen a lot of Mustang Dyno's throw out some abnormally high TQ figures. Don't know why, but they seem to sometimes do that.

Not taking anything away from Big Hammer because those are excellent results!
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the insight. It's just that shape that makes me think.

I also mean no disrespect to hammer. His car is strong.

I did a quick sketch (didn't even use a ruler) of his curve. Here is also a baseline pull to 1 3/4 long tube, ORY, magnaflow on my car. I know it's really not apples to apples. Just to show curve of my stock 01 cam to hammers.

I know changing things can change the shape of the curve. Say an ls style manifold swapped for a straight runner manifold will def change it up a bit. As the cam is the heart of the motor, the valve events are very important to the curve. As you know.

If it is what he says, great job!
Attached Thumbnails Finally dyno tuned my car... Highest hp "bolt on" ls1?-img_7381.jpg   Finally dyno tuned my car... Highest hp "bolt on" ls1?-img_6411.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vetteboy2k
I share a ton of info all the time. I just don't always spoon feed it to people who are looking for some quick fix that doesn't exist. A lot of times if you read up on my threads you'll find most all the answers you want but it's not my passion to make build threads. In fact I dislike even reading them. People have been pm'in me for the past 10 years and I do my best to help them with their setups.

Giving out my cam specs doesn't help anyone. But I can say that I've help hundreds of racers in some capacity and would rather teach how to fish then to hand someone an old fish that was once the king of the pond.

The funny thing is that ones who benefit from the info and run some successful and even record times often catch a case of amnesia and conveniently forgot who got them there. But the ones that do appreciate the knowledge and the effort make it worth while.

FWIW, my ls6 bolt on setup made 413 on a mustang dyno that reads more than 10% lower than the local dynojet, thru 4.10's and without any effort to make a high dyno number.

Give'em hell at the drag strip Hammer!
Thanks and well said--- I have three years of tinkering into this thing. At this point it's not simple anymore but like you said there's no magic bullet to this. Not one awesome mod that adds 40 RWHP. It's a matter of analyzing anything on the car that could either add or save even one HP.

Hio helped me a lot get started and for the last year or so we have bounced ideas off each other daily. I'm actually pretty excited to see how his car does next time out now.

I will say that the entire LS1 intake system is restrictive and to avoid small headers and Y pipes. Other than that this is the only time I've dynod this car so I'm still guessing somewhat on how much each particular mod added.

There are a lot of places on these cars reducing the SAE net ratings. More so than newer cars IMO
Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
What else is going to add 50rwh-60rwhp on top of those? Because most normal bolt-on setups that you mentioned are in the 360s-370s with all those.
Take your best shot at adding the extra 50. I bet you're closer than you think.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I honestly did not mean to come across like I have my panties in a bunch. I just really hate the secret squirrel BS associated with modding cars. Everyone hides cam specs like it's a freaking treasure map.

I think you should share everything, challenge someone to build an exact replica of your badass racecar, and then beat them because you are the better driver. Ultimately, I always thought that modding cars was about building better and faster machines to challenge the driver to become better and faster.

Hunter S. Thompson (RIP) once said that men like big guns and fast cars because they push us to the limits of our abilities, instead of us pushing the machine to its limits.

What harm is there in transparency unless you aren't a good racer, and just have a fancy racecar?

That being said, those are strong numbers for a stock cam and stock heads. Good job. I am all for optimization and maximizing efficiency, and your attention to detail has definitely done both for the stock heads/cam.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Stock heads/cam LS1's will not make that kind of power NA. Regardless the car does run great and makes great power. What I find odd is you make more power then Hio's FBO LS6 but trap what 10 mph less then Hio? I have seen enough setups over the years to know something smells fishy here...and there is only so many bolt-ons you can do. Yes I know all the little secrets, not my first rodeo. Either way congrats and keep them Furd boys on their toes.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 04-14-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

I've never ran the car in its current form, I also ran in 2600 higher DA than he did and there's also more hp left in his car.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Stock heads/cam LS1's will not make that kind of power NA. Regardless the car does run great and makes great power. What I find odd is you make more power then Hio's FBO LS6 but trap what 10 mph less then Hio? I have seen enough setups over the years to know something smells fishy here...and there is only so many bolt-ons you can do. Yes I know all the little secrets, not my first rodeo. Either way congrats and keep them Furd boys on their toes.
Apparently they do. What makes you think they can't?

Are you saying the OP doesn't have a stock LS1 cam and 241 untouched heads?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Most people only a few bolt ons.FAST,headers,CAI and maybe EWP. That's the difference. There's so many more a person can do. When you do all the little stuff it adds up. Hence the OP's numbers lol.
And hence people being curious.

Never PM'd OP but I have with Hio quite some time ago and was given some information in regards to clutches, trans mods, and weight savings and things of that sort but not a ton which I could apply but I still stored it in memory.

There are plenty people on the site who have legitimate interest in learning and realize it's a matter of optimization not just simply buying and installing parts, but finding where to begin and where to dig deeper can be a challenge. At some point it just is cumbersome to keep asking questions and feel like a pest. Hence my previous post in this thread...became fairly clear OP didn't have much interest in discussing details so pressing the issue just seemed like a waste of time for both parties.

I often receive PM's about various things and try to help best I can. But I also take those questions and apply them to the threads which spawned them so I don't have to keep answering the same questions in detail and can just point to the thread.

That said, not everyone has the desire to do so for whatever reason they might have. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Good numbers none the less.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Hammer, what injectors are you running on this car?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Because he's one of the first, if not the first to get that kinda power out of the stock LS1 heads and cam in the 19 years of the engine. You'd think that if it was indeed possible someone else would have gotten these kinds of numbers in almost 2 decades...
Old 04-14-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Are you saying the OP doesn't have a stock LS1 cam and 241 untouched heads?
No they don't... your hellion cam car made less power. As Redtan said in 19yrs nobody has documented a stock internal Fbody going over 400whp. Closest I seen was a stock cam AI 241 headed car put down 417whp with a ewp and short belt.

Aside from that Hammer likes to troll, so unless his comes clean and lists his mods I am not buying it. His car runs great no doubt, not knocking anything. Dyno numbers are meaning less for comparing across the nets anyway.

My car trapped 115 with 330whp and went low 12's with stock stall and 3.73, 1.85 rockers/springs, ported TB and **** hooker header and cb exhaust. Added full looks setup with fti 3800 and picked up 2 mph. a fast 92 would of put me right at 118-120mph. So I know bolt-on LS1 cars can run, just saying the numbers seem high.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 04-14-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
No they don't... your hellion cam car made less power. As Redtan said in 19yrs nobody has documented a stock internal Fbody going over 400whp. Closest I seen was a stock cam AI 241 headed car put down 417whp with a ewp and short belt.

Aside from that Hammer likes to troll, so unless his comes clean and lists his mods I am not buying it. His car runs great no doubt, not knocking anything. Dyno numbers are meaning less for comparing across the nets anyway.

My car trapped 115 with 330whp and went low 12's with stock stall and 3.73, 1.85 rockers/springs, ported TB and **** hooker header and cb exhaust. Added full looks setup with fti 3800 and picked up 2 mph. a fast 92 would of put me right at 118-120mph. So I know bolt-on LS1 cars can run, just saying the numbers seem high.
Of course his car makes more than mine did. I never addressed any of the issues with that set up. First off, that cam was completely wrong for the car. Second, I had the LS7 clutch, catted Y pipe, heavy wheels/brakes ect. Many things I could have done to hit 450 cam only easy.

Quick Reply: Finally dyno tuned my car... Highest hp "bolt on" ls1?