Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

416 Mamo Motorsports build w/ TVS 2300 Blower

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
I appreciate that. I know it's not a 10" lower. That GTO blower kit runs off the accessory drive and a 10" crank pulley would hit that water pump. His Innovaters West lower looks like an 8" and I'm sure the jackshaft is overdriven. It's the upper pulley I'm really curious about. A 3" or 3.1" makes the most sense. Those heads are doing a great job. I'd love to see what a .5" phenolic spacer between the upper and lower manifold would do on this build.
It was a pretty large lower pulley.....let me text this guy quickly and find out. No doubt the spacer would have helped....there is like no room between the outlet of the brick and the floor pan of the unit.....barely a half inch and the air has to make an immediate 90' turn exiting the intercooler heading for the port outlets. Honestly when I saw the design of the blower I was like this thing wont make any real boost.....just alot of heat (clearly I was wrong...LOL) but it would be a big jump in efficiency getting the brick further from the floor of the blower....I bet the discharge air temps drop considerably with the spacer besides the free pound or two of boost it might add without turning the blower any faster.

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Per my customer....

Overdrive is maxed out (rear pulleys of blower)

3" upper on the blower.....10% overdriven lower pulley.....he wasn't sure of crank pulley diameter but was speculating 8.5" - 8.75"

It was a big ****....the lower dampener.....commanded the presence of most front facing pics I took thats for sure....LOL

Hope this helps!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Per my customer....

Overdrive is maxed out (rear pulleys of blower)

3" upper on the blower.....10% overdriven lower pulley.....he wasn't sure of crank pulley diameter but was speculating 8.5" - 8.75"

It was a big ****....the lower dampener.....commanded the presence of most front facing pics I took thats for sure....LOL

Hope this helps!

-Tony
Thanks for looking into it Tony. I'm on my computer now and not my phone so I can see the markings on the upper pulley. I double checked the Innovators West website and the 10% is 8" in diameter. He's still got room to pulley down depending on what RPM it finally ends up peaking at. As impressive as this combo is, and it it's very impressive, there is still room left to turn it up a little bit. Great job Tony!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
Thanks for looking into it Tony. I'm on my computer now and not my phone so I can see the markings on the upper pulley. I double checked the Innovators West website and the 10% is 8" in diameter. He's still got room to pulley down depending on what RPM it finally ends up peaking at. As impressive as this combo is, and it it's very impressive, there is still room left to turn it up a little bit. Great job Tony!
Your exactly right....my client told me the exact same thing....he still had a little room to spin the blower harder by going with a 2.625 or 2.75" upper pulley.

I just remembered I had taken a photo of how close the brick/intercooler outlet was to the floor of the blower. In this photo the blower is upside down guys so the air is exiting up through the brick (upward in this photo) and blasting directly into the flat floor of the blower case intake.....then having to change direction exiting 90 degrees everywhere to escape the blower and fill the intake ports of your cylinder heads. I mean from a guy that lives and dies by the right shape of things (cylinder head ports, intake manifold ports, throttle body housings etc.) I cringe when I see this! Just doubling the height of this small gap would reduce back pressure and heat considerably giving you more boost at lower IAT's. And that's still a fail design all things considered (blasting into the floor of the blower and being forced to squeeze out everywhere) but clearly the blower is moving enough air that is simply doesnt matter!!

Im a fan of efficiency though....a better design would work wonders here but your trade off is blower packaging height and they want to clear a stock hood. It would be nice if they offered a version for guys that had more room and there was a splitter in the floor to start hooking the air towards the exits of the blower (I could draw it on a napkin right now....LOL)

Anyway....check out this pic (mainly for the guys that haven't seen this up close and personal)....don't forget blower is upside down and the floor of the blower is on top in this shot

-Tony

PS....We would have easily made a thousand HP that day running E85 instead of race fuel even with the slightly more conservative 3" pulley spinning the blower not so hard. I think the gains in boost going with a smaller pulley would be tempered by the increase in heat spinning the blower close to max RPM.....however some meth injection plumbed post intercooler would be worth insane gains from the cooling effect of the air temps. I vision something along the lines of a nitrous spray bar you could inject methanol that was plumbed along the floor of the blower case....and speaking of nitrous.....LOL (can you say six bolt block just became mandatory!!)

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-05-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just an update, this engine is still running strong and is an absolute beast. Car has been mini-tubbed and running 335s but still zero traction thru 3rd gear.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dmlong65:
84ta406 (08-01-2022), ALL ULL C (08-01-2022), Sturdy (08-03-2022), WS6 #3392 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmlong65
Just an update, this engine is still running strong and is an absolute beast. Car has been mini-tubbed and running 335s but still zero traction thru 3rd gear.
What a beautiful and baddass ride! Love it!
The following users liked this post:
Dmlong65 (08-01-2022)

Quick Reply: 416 Mamo Motorsports build w/ TVS 2300 Blower