Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Darth Vader 454 Project....LIVES AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Tony needs to smack some people around at fast to get them to produce the different runners for the ls7 and cathedral guys
Or design and produce an *** kicker for the Fast and MSD. He's already eyeball deep in this **** and could probably find a manufacturer.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Tony needs to smack some people around at fast to get them to produce the different runners for the ls7 and cathedral guys
^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed!!!^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I could see the LS7 shorter runners, but I am not sure the cathedral shorter runners would be worth it.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I could see the LS7 shorter runners, but I am not sure the cathedral shorter runners would be worth it.
Depends. There's guys who just have to run a cathedral port. There's some large port cathedral heads out there that are pretty intake limited when it comes to fitting under an Fbody cowl. The msd does pretty good but I have no idea what it flows
Old 08-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I like the MSD over the fast for my car, but I'm a minority I think. Most smaller cube engines likely benefit from the longer runners helping create momentum for the airflow.

But I think of a 416 with cathedral heads - that could really use a shorter runner
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I like the MSD over the fast for my car, but I'm a minority I think. Most smaller cube engines likely benefit from the longer runners helping create momentum for the airflow.

But I think of a 416 with cathedral heads - that could really use a shorter runner
A Mamo ported MSD cathedral is a very effective piece! (Just for the record these MSD cathedral intakes are really weak out of the box....its major surgery with the grinder to turn that ugly duckling into a swan!!). Darth....your 130 trap speeds in so so D/A certainly confirm that's the case and the fact that they can be effective in a higher output 346 application.

I also agree that pretty much any cathedral headed stroker motor (even a 383) could benefit from this intake as there is more TQ to give away with a stoker (you don't mind the 20 ft/lb loss as much downstairs) in exchange for alot more peak power and the ability to carry that power much better past peak

Here is a great shot of a 416 I built with the only swap being the intake manifold....a Mamo ported FAST versus a Mamo ported MSD....same dyno within 30 mins back to back runs (the time it took us to swap intakes)

If I owned a cathedral headed stroker motor I would be all about the MSD on there....reduce some useless tire spinning midrange torque to get a bunch more power up top and compound those gains by being able to shift it muuuch later staying in the meat of the highest part of your HP curve for maximum acceleration

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
A Mamo ported MSD cathedral is a very effective piece! (Just for the record these MSD cathedral intakes are really weak out of the box....its major surgery with the grinder to turn that ugly duckling into a swan!!). Darth....your 130 trap speeds in so so D/A certainly confirm that's the case and the fact that they can be effective in a higher output 346 application.

I also agree that pretty much any cathedral headed stroker motor (even a 383) could benefit from this intake as there is more TQ to give away with a stoker (you don't mind the 20 ft/lb loss as much downstairs) in exchange for alot more peak power and the ability to carry that power much better past peak

Here is a great shot of a 416 I built with the only swap being the intake manifold....a Mamo ported FAST versus a Mamo ported MSD....same dyno within 30 mins back to back runs (the time it took us to swap intakes)

If I owned a cathedral headed stroker motor I would be all about the MSD on there....reduce some useless tire spinning midrange torque to get a bunch more power up top and compound those gains by being able to shift it muuuch later staying in the meat of the highest part of your HP curve for maximum acceleration

Cheers,
Tony
I think I'd benefit with the msd now over a ported fast 90. Mine carries pretty well but it starts seeing 98kpa in placea
Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
I think I'd benefit with the msd now over a ported fast 90. Mine carries pretty well but it starts seeing 98kpa in placea
Depending on your CAI and whatever else is upstream of the intake I bet you could see close to 100 with the manifold swap....either way its going to make alot more power and carry much better past peak with one of my ported MSD cathedrals.

That intake has more plastic carved out of it than ANY composite intake I work on....it needs major enlargement in CSA (in the right places naturally) to really come alive. It takes me 50% longer than porting a FAST 102 cathedral but the results justify the means

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Cheers,
Tony
That curve difference between the intakes looks a lot like it did on jakes 346 just a little more to the left
Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 PM

You beat me to it. It's consistent in how it runs. But iirc tony made the ports like 1/4" bigger. Kinda nuts how much there is to remove.

Edit - the fast and msd curves crossed at 6400 rpm on mine, but the fast plateaued from 6400 to 7000. The MSD continued to pull and held over 500 HP even out to 7400

Last edited by Darth_V8r; 08-18-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Hard to remove too. Wish they were a modular design like the fast
Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Depending on your CAI and whatever else is upstream of the intake I bet you could see close to 100 with the manifold swap....either way its going to make alot more power and carry much better past peak with one of my ported MSD cathedrals.

That intake has more plastic carved out of it than ANY composite intake I work on....it needs major enlargement in CSA (in the right places naturally) to really come alive. It takes me 50% longer than porting a FAST 102 cathedral but the results justify the means

-Tony
I have the Slp lid and ram air kit along with a ascd ws6 hood with baffles removed. Plenty air flow .it has a 85mm maf but now tuned speed density. Only reason maf is in line is when i flash a new tune and maf is not plugged in,car takes forever to crank until it trips the maf fail code. Cos5 in efi live.
I have a 4" hose to take its place but haven't tried it yet to see if it leans me out when i log a run.
On the dyno a fast toys 104 was only 2 hp difference from my slp. Not worth the fitment issues.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
I have the Slp lid and ram air kit along with a ascd ws6 hood with baffles removed. Plenty air flow .it has a 85mm maf but now tuned speed density. Only reason maf is in line is when i flash a new tune and maf is not plugged in,car takes forever to crank until it trips the maf fail code. Cos5 in efi live.
I have a 4" hose to take its place but haven't tried it yet to see if it leans me out when i log a run.
On the dyno a fast toys 104 was only 2 hp difference from my slp. Not worth the fitment issues.
Go to your maf curve. in the lowest cell, put 15 g/sec. When you write a tune, you'll get fuel for the start up as if the car was breathing 15 g/sec until the maf fails and it goes over to SD.

I had the exact same problem and it scared the crap out of me. That fixed it
The following users liked this post:
NSFW (03-07-2020)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Go to your maf curve. in the lowest cell, put 15 g/sec. When you write a tune, you'll get fuel for the start up as if the car was breathing 15 g/sec until the maf fails and it goes over to SD.

I had the exact same problem and it scared the crap out of me. That fixed it
I Will give that a try. thanks
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

On my 402 I see 95 kpa upstairs :o I can't wait to get my mamo fast 102 installed
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Tony ,Thanks for the Tee-Shirts and Hat. P.M- Sent
Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(this is relevant to my interests)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
(this is relevant to my interests)
This engine was just recently put up for sale.

Last edited by fnbadaz06; 01-08-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that. Unfortunately, 2 years too soon for me. Hell, I don't even have my C5 yet.

Quick Reply: Darth Vader 454 Project....LIVES AGAIN!!