Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

16' Camaro Ported H/C/IM/TB Bolt on's gains 189/111rw.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 16' Camaro Ported H/C/IM/TB Bolt on's gains 189/111rw.

I haven't been on here in quite a while. I thought I would post this up though. Car is a 2SS A8.

I have been working my way methodically through this car seeing what gains could be made. I started with porting my stock IM/TB, then a CAI, then E85, headers, and finally a converter. Car ran 11.07 before the headers and converter. I then ported my heads with great results. The final step was to design a custom cam. I finally got it on the dyno today for some tweaking. I am running into some tq management issues that are limiting my power right now. I also didn't get to mess with my injector timing putting it more back towards stock to see if that was worth anything. Any way,

This first graph is Stock vs. Bolt on, heads, converter vs. all in with the cam.

16' Camaro Ported H/C/IM/TB Bolt on's gains 189/111rw.-h-c-6th-total-gains.jpg

Next is the gains from just the cam vs. bolt ons/Heads. 75/23rw for a cam in the 220's/230's isn't bad at all.

16' Camaro Ported H/C/IM/TB Bolt on's gains 189/111rw.-h-c-6th-cam-gains.jpg

And lastly, just a solo pass all in.

16' Camaro Ported H/C/IM/TB Bolt on's gains 189/111rw.-h-c-6th-gear.jpg
Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Very nice, indeed!

KW
Old 10-14-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That final torque curve looks sic, but the version with all three runs doesn't look the same. Something seems off. On the graph showing all three runs the torque curve actually looks pretty shitty. What gives?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
That final torque curve looks sic, but the version with all three runs doesn't look the same. Something seems off. On the graph showing all three runs the torque curve actually looks pretty shitty. What gives?
How so? The stock motor is set up around TQ. It has a small cam with a ton of DCR and the VVT is what carries it out up top. So you get huge tq down low and about the same hp up top. In A8 cars the hp is always about 10rw less than the tq numbers. It is almost impossible to get back to stock DCR when putting a cam in a car. This isn't your LS. The LT1 is an entire new animal. Most LS cars tq doesn't pick up much from stock on the tq side of things when going cam only. With heads and bolt ons they will make more tq but the curves will look a lot alike. Almost every LT cam car loses tq to the stock graph or what ever state you started from. Mine is up from hit to quit over the stock graph. Actually, mine is up a lot all over. However, with the cam I am down a little below 3,300 from all Bolton's and heads. So I am not exactly sure what you are seeing or missing here? Head over to the dedicated Gen 6 forum and check out all the stock graphs you want. This engine is designed around tq. It is very hard to beat what GM came up with in that department.

Last edited by Pray; 10-18-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Very impressive results Pray! Makes great power.

I'm not sure what you mean with "most LS cars tq doesn't pick up much from stock".

My stock LS1 put just over 300lb/ft down. Then after H/C/I it was over 400lb/ft. Just the bolt ons unlocked around 40lb/ft+.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Very impressive results Pray! Makes great power.

I'm not sure what you mean with "most LS cars tq doesn't pick up much from stock".

My stock LS1 put just over 300lb/ft down. Then after H/C/I it was over 400lb/ft. Just the bolt ons unlocked around 40lb/ft+.
+1. While i'll agree the LS generally gains more in HP than in peak TQ (mainly due to allowing it to breathe at the top end and rev further), I'm also 100+ higher than stock torque on heads/cam SBE LS1. I've similarly seen LS1's and 6's gain 40+ just from bolt ons.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking of another post I made on another site with just the cam gains. My comments were about just the cam gains. I went back and edited my above post.

​​​​​​​Let me rephrase what I was trying to say about the differences between the motors. Due to the advantages of the LT1 it is much harder to see gains in tq than over an LS. So saying the tq curve that is way up from hit to quit looks like "****" makes no sense to me. You will not see the same shape in the graph's in an LT car once you change the heads or cam. The stock low end is extremely hard to beat. When I ported my heads I only gained 10rwtq but 28rwhp and it changed the curve. I gained about 12rw down low with the cam and it blew up the top end. The stock IM also makes a ton more tq than the MSD. I may throw my ported stock IM back on the car to see what that does to the top end and the curve. So there are many things in this equation that have changed the shape or the curve from stock. They two biggest contributing factors are the ported MSD and the cam. The heads play a bit into that as well.

I am also running into a wall with the TM and TQ Coefficient tables that I feel is limiting me some. I usually gain 23-25rw going from 5th to 6th gear on the dyno. However, yesterday, I was seeing 547rw in 5th and I was staying above my tq boundaries only down low and was coming back under them up high. In 6th I was above the boundaries all the way and I didn't see my normal 6th gear bump in hp/tq.

This cam is also only high 220's/mid 230's. I don't think I have seen another H/C SBE Gen 6 make more power or tq. I know I haven't seen any make the gains from stock to where mine is at now, especially not an A8 car with a converter.

Last edited by Pray; 10-15-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ive been out of the game for a long time and have no experience with these LT1's but you are making nearly 600rwhp with stock bottom end and no power adder? that's incredible...
Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KAOS
ive been out of the game for a long time and have no experience with these LT1's but you are making nearly 600rwhp with stock bottom end and no power adder? that's incredible...
Yes, just H/C/bolt ons. And a lot of porting LOL. I have identified some issues that are holding back my power numbers right now. A couple I hope to rectify soon. The main one though I may have to pull the car back apart for. I am shooting for 575rw all in.

Car is basically putting down what my 427 Gen 1 V did. Technology is a pretty great thing.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pray
Yes, just H/C/bolt ons. And a lot of porting LOL. I have identified some issues that are holding back my power numbers right now. A couple I hope to rectify soon. The main one though I may have to pull the car back apart for. I am shooting for 575rw all in.

Car is basically putting down what my 427 Gen 1 V did. Technology is a pretty great thing.
crazy for sure. I mean those are c6z cam numbers right there. I mean ud be at 600 with manual one would think
Old 10-18-2017, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KAOS
crazy for sure. I mean those are c6z cam numbers right there. I mean ud be at 600 with manual one would think
Possibly in an M6 and on a different dyno. This dyno is a bit stingy as you can see from the stock numbers. But the car always runs faster than the dyno says it should so I am cool with that. I have an M6 build coming out next week with my STG I cam on a totally different dyno in another part of the country. Depending on that one makes we will be able to make some judgement calls on where mine would be.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Good job Pray! In for new setups track results
Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Youre missing what I am saying. The torque curve looks completely different on the graoh showing all three runs vs just the single run. The max power curve is what I'm talking about. It looks like it changed. Maybe it's my eyes or brain, but something looks off. I'm not insulting anything, I complimented you, jesus christ sally.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sxc Z28
Good job Pray! In for new setups track results
Thank you Sir. I am heading to the track Saturday. I will post up with what happens. First time out with the cam I broke the crap out of my drive shaft on the second pull under WOT. Hopefully the new stock piece holds up.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Youre missing what I am saying. The torque curve looks completely different on the graoh showing all three runs vs just the single run. The max power curve is what I'm talking about. It looks like it changed. Maybe it's my eyes or brain, but something looks off. I'm not insulting anything, I complimented you, jesus christ sally.
No harm bro. I was just trying to explain. Didn't mean to come across like a douche. No need for name calling. LOL. I thought you meant the tq curves looked different from stock. Let me go back and look at the graphs. It could be the way the lines over lap with the pre cam and post cam on there.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can pull up the cam vs. no cam the tq lines over lap at a couple places and look deceiving. I tried changing the colors of the lines but they still cam out pretty thin. The cam is down on tq from 2,600 to 3,300. Then it passes the no cam. The no cam catches back up right at 4,500 due to the shift in the curve up 750rpm with the cam. The early loss I am sure is due to me not having enough head room in my Commanded TQ vs. my Allowed TQ and TQ Coefficient tables. I have to work on those a bit more to allow the car to transfer all the power I want to the tires.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Very impressive
Old 10-20-2017, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why I want an LT1 swap, a lot cheaper than an LS7 and just as much power.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenson
This is why I want an LT1 swap, a lot cheaper than an LS7 and just as much power.
The lt1 is an awesome platform but he's about 70whp short of a HC MSD ls7. 620-630 is fairly easily done nowadays. 560 is solid cam only territory though or a very lazy bc car

Awesome job pray that car moves TF out

Quick Reply: 16' Camaro Ported H/C/IM/TB Bolt on's gains 189/111rw.