Dissapointed w/ texas speed prc 227 heads and ms4 cam dyno results Part II - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dissapointed w/ texas speed prc 227 heads and ms4 cam dyno results Part II

Old 12-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
On The Tree

Default Dissapointed w/ texas speed prc 227 heads and ms4 cam dyno results Part II

Lil confused as to y my post on here was closed. Just because some dumbass was posting useless comments. How is that my fault?? I still havent found the answer to my issue im having with my head and cam setup!!!

Ok im done ranting now. but i still want an answer to whoever closed my thread

Link to original thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-results.html
bnastystuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnastystuntz
Lil confused as to y my post on here was closed. Just because some dumbass was posting useless comments. How is that my fault?? I still havent found the answer to my issue im having with my head and cam setup!!!

I meant to ask in the other thread -- what does your Y pipe look like? On my build, my first trip to the dyno I hit 395, and I was expecting 430+. When I got back home, just ticked off, I noticed under my car it was like a blast furnace. So I dropped the Y, put 18" pipes on the end of the headers, drove back to the dyno and ripped 470.

Its an easy enough test you can try to see if the exhaust is choking it.
Darth_V8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
KCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnastystuntz View Post

The Admin closed your thread. From the looks of it, he already cleaned up a bunch of the BS and it still continued. That will usually get a thread shut down. Those who get on an Admin's radar and continue to derail threads usually end up with silly avatars (Purple dinosaurs, rainbows, and Richard Simmons for example) and posting restrictions, possibly even getting banned.

As far as the issue you're having, how about getting everyone caught up with what your setup consists of and what you've eliminated as possible causes, just so we don't have to keep going back and forth to the other thread? I saw pushrod length and the cam timing was mentioned. Have those possibilities been eliminated? What has TSP recommended so far?
KCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_V8r View Post
I meant to ask in the other thread -- what does your Y pipe look like? On my build, my first trip to the dyno I hit 395, and I was expecting 430+. When I got back home, just ticked off, I noticed under my car it was like a blast furnace. So I dropped the Y, put 18" pipes on the end of the headers, drove back to the dyno and ripped 470.

Its an easy enough test you can try to see if the exhaust is choking it.
Its brand new y pipe... The whole exhaust from headers back is brand new actually
Old 12-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS View Post

As far as the issue you're having, how about getting everyone caught up with what your setup consists of and what you've eliminated as possible causes, just so we don't have to keep going back and forth to the other thread? I saw pushrod length and the cam timing was mentioned. Have those possibilities been eliminated? What has TSP recommended so far?
well before my thread was closed i wanted to tell everyone who was helping figure out this problem that while checking off boxes of possible problems i deceded to throw the degree wheel on and what i found out was the cam was 3 degrees advanced from where the cam card said it should be... i got a icl of 107 when cam card says it should be 110 @ .050. im going to call TSP and hopedully they can get this cam swapoed out.. thatlooks to be the cause of the low peak hp rpm.

Last edited by bnastystuntz; 12-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
TECH Junkie

Cam noob question; 3.5 degrees advance can make as big a difference as we are talking about here?
G Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
Cam noob question; 3.5 degrees advance can make as big a difference as we are talking about here?
its 3 i made mistake but this cam i beleave has 1.5 degree advance ground in to it as well.. it has a 111.5 lsa. This is a big cam and that extra 3 degrees im sure isnt helping PTV clearence either
Old 12-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
TECH Junkie

Oh OK, my question was more about 3 degrees making as huge a difference in power as what's been discussed here. It seems a large loss for so few degrees.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
well before my thread was closed i wanted to tell everyone who was helping figure out this problem that while checking off boxes of possible problems i deceded to throw the degree wheel on and what i found out was the cam was 3 degrees advanced from where the cam card said it should be... i got a icl of 107 when cam card says it should be 110 @ .050. im going to call TSP and hopedully they can get this cam swapoed out.. thatlooks to be the cause of the low peak hp rpm.
I will add something semi-productive.....that sucks. If you have any issues with them, an adjustable timing set will solve your issues using your existing cam.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
Super Hulk Smash

3 degrees wouldn't make the cam peak 800rpm too soon.

You have a restriction in the intake/exhaust tract, probably valve float, an inefficient converter, and an advanced cam. Combine, blend thoroughly, and peak at 5700 RPM.
JakeFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
LS1Tech Administrator

KCS has given an excellent explanation for what happened to the other thread. He's exactly correct. kingtal0n will be taking a break from LS1Tech for a bit, but I'd like to point out that some comments from folks in this thread were inappropriate, and such is responsible for further escalating this situation. I'll ask everyone to not antagonize him in the future, it's not going to make the situation any better and we'll have to start cracking down on the inappropriate comments/insults going forward. It's entirely possible to disagree without jumping to insults, and that's all we ask. Otherwise, simply ignore or report the post if it's off-topic and distracting.

Now, I've cleaned this thread up so let's please keep it on track going forward.

Thanks,
-Admin.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFusion

You have a restriction in the intake/exhaust tract, probably valve float, an inefficient converter, and an advanced cam. Combine, blend thoroughly, and peak at 5700 RPM.
Very possible it isn't just one problem.

Quote:
It is definitely part of the picture. Glad you checked it. Its not helping that's for sure.

Quote:
Its brand new y pipe... The whole exhaust from headers back is brand new actually
Ok. I'm not doing a good job asking this. Does the Y merge look like two parallel pipes coming together (almost like a lane change on the highway) or two pipes jammed together at a 90 degree angle? If you google "flowmaster merge" you will see pics of a GOOD merge. Here below is an example of the merge that killed my power by 70 hp. Its not the exact one but it's representative. And it was new too. If the two pipes just jam together without going parallel first, it kills flow.

Dissapointed w/ texas speed prc 227 heads and ms4 cam dyno results Part II-photo458.jpg
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
10 Second Club

Here's a better pic. The one on the left is basically good. The one in the right is bad.

Dissapointed w/ texas speed prc 227 heads and ms4 cam dyno results Part II-photo842.jpg
Old 12-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
On The Tree

doesnt look like y pipe is the issue. plenty of airflow
Old 12-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post

Theres other people with similar setups ie: ls6 intake, 1 7/8 TSP headers with their y pipe not having this poroblem so we can take exhaust and intake out of the question.. Now for valve float ud most likely c that in the tune/graph plus i have pac 660 springs so that is unlikely..

So that leaves the cam not degreed and my loq lidter preload so im goin to fix that and then we can go from there

ineficiant converter?? maybe but il take ut to the track to dind out once i get the power band corrected...
Old 12-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
10 Second Club

Quote:

doesnt look like y pipe is the issue. plenty of airflow
Cool! One less thing to worry about. Thanks for checking.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #17
10 Second Club

Get your cam set right then go to the track. Hard to put any faith in unlocked high stall dyno numbers
big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_V8r View Post
Cool! One less thing to worry about. Thanks for checking.
yep. so im sending the cam back to Tsp to have them check the cam just to illiminate that wich if that checks out to be good then that would mean my timing set is off somehow.. If that turns out to be the case im going to just get an adjustable set and degree it in !!!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #19
TECH Junkie

Well, here's to hoping it's the cam; one less thing for you to do! lol
Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #20
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks for making a new thread on this because I am very curious as to what you find as being the issue. Sucks that it's not performing as it should.
5.7stroker is online now   Reply With Quote