Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

434ci, MMS 265 heads, Super Victor intake, MMS solid roller cam - dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

How hot does the tranny and rear end get after running for 25 minutes?
Nosey noob....
Old 01-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
How hot does the tranny and rear end get after running for 25 minutes?
Nosey noob....
Unfortunately I don't have a good way to know. I don't have temp gauges for the trans or diff. Just engine oil... I can only judge it based on the fact that shifts stay consistent and I haven't seen any wear or noise from the diff, not excessive metal in the oil.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Those are likely fair indicators.... And as long as you have run that car, have there been any catastrophic failures of tranny or rear end? If not, you are doing something right!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Those are likely fair indicators.... And as long as you have run that car, have there been any catastrophic failures of tranny or rear end? If not, you are doing something right!
Not a one... I swapped rear gears just to change the ratio, but no actual problems.

I did something I haven't done before as part of this installation. I went through a full alignment of the bellhousing. There are different recommended procedures for doing this, probably the most accurate being to pull the front cover of the T56 to do it. I didn't go that far but instead purchased the alignment plate from QuickTime which bolts to the bellhousing. I measured the parallel surface and used shims to adjust, then the concentric alignment. I used some 0.007" offset dowels to get it as close as I could. I've never had shifting problems before, but since this is a new-to-me block, I wanted to check it all out.

434ci, MMS 265 heads, Super Victor intake, MMS solid roller cam - dyno results-xqtnvkv.jpg

Engine and transmission went into the car today. Still a long way to go and several challenges to overcome, but at least it's bolted into place...

434ci, MMS 265 heads, Super Victor intake, MMS solid roller cam - dyno results-suf3zrf.jpg

434ci, MMS 265 heads, Super Victor intake, MMS solid roller cam - dyno results-zqln37f.jpg
Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome results....thanks for posting this. I'll be doing something similar soon but with an LSX 427in short block with Tony's 6-bolt LS7 heads, YT rockers and cam. I'll also be running a single plane intake. I don't think the Mast intake or any intake porting are in the budget this time around so I'll be running an out-of-the-box stock Super Vic. But it was really cool to see your back to back comparison of the intakes.

Anyway, I saw you said you'll be running 1 7/8 headers in the car. What size headers were on the motor when it was dyno'd? It looks like they may have been some kind of stepped design. I assume they were dyno header from SAM?

Last edited by GC99TA; 01-02-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Awesome results....thanks for posting this. I'll be doing something similar soon but with an LSX 427in short block with Tony's 6-bolt LS7 heads, YT rockers and cam. I'll also be running a single plane intake. I don't think the Mast intake or any intake porting are in the budget this time around so I'll be running an out-of-the-box stock Super Vic. But it was really cool to see your back to back comparison of the intakes.
If you buy the Super Vic, assemble the fuel rails and injectors and ensure you have a good seat before you do anything else with it. As I noted, the bolt holes in the intake were drilled and tapped at an angle which caused the rail to sit too high. We slotted the holes in the rails to bring them down, and that should be ok for me. It's a pain to have to do this though on a brand new item.

Anyway, I saw you said you'll be running 1 7/8 headers in the car. What size headers were on the motor when it was dyno'd? It looks like they may have been some kind of stepped design. I assume they were dyno header from SAM?
The dyno headers were 1 7/8" also. I don't recall mention of them being stepped, but I didn't ask either. They were SAM's dyno headers (one of many sets which they have there).

Good luck with your build as well!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carbuff
If you buy the Super Vic, assemble the fuel rails and injectors and ensure you have a good seat before you do anything else with it. As I noted, the bolt holes in the intake were drilled and tapped at an angle which caused the rail to sit too high. We slotted the holes in the rails to bring them down, and that should be ok for me. It's a pain to have to do this though on a brand new item.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm staying carb'd (4150) for a while so I won't have to worry about the rails just yet. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to swap to injection they'll have their machining processes sorted out. Based on your results, I may have to go to a 4500 flange intake when I go injected.

The dyno headers were 1 7/8" also. I don't recall mention of them being stepped, but I didn't ask either. They were SAM's dyno headers (one of many sets which they have there).

Good luck with your build as well!
Perfect, thanks. I was going by your dyno pic but I was looking at it on my phone. The tubes looked like they could have been stepped but it's hard to tell on such a small screen. I look forward to seeing how your rear wheel dyno numbers compare to your flywheel number. Very cool car!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Cool. I cain't wait for another build Gary.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Cool. I cain't wait for another build Gary.
Thanks Jim. Lots of parts on order. I'll update my build thread as stuff starts to show up.

Any updates on your car Bryan? I'm anxious to see the rear wheel dyno results.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Any updates on your car Bryan? I'm anxious to see the rear wheel dyno results.
Me too!

The engine and transmission are in. Last weekend I worked to get the exhaust (headers) bolted on and new oil lines made. The car is going to have to go to my fabricators for some work before she'll be driveable, so it will be a while before I have chassic dyno results unfortunately...

I'll certainly update here when I do!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Bryan hopefully your new engine will take care of the gremlins you been fighting. Your car is a true work of art, the pictures dont do it any justice. Its one of the nicest built and designed cars we have seen, and the fact it gets raced just makes it more badass.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Launching!

It's taken quite a while to get to this point, but last weekend I was able to start the engine in the car for the first time. This video was after I had it warmed up, but I've done basically no tuning yet, just using the baseline I had on the previous engine combination with the upper RPM tuning from the dyno session. Tuning from Lorenz in the previous post.

It's not a dyno run, so don't get too excited, but after 13 months of sitting, it felt damn good to me! I love this sound!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UjFhbao6vqLl1A2I2

(no idea how to embed it)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That has a nice exhaust note.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Awesome Bryan! I have been wondering about this build.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Thanx guys. It's been slow going due to work and holdups on the exhaust and some other parts. I'm hoping I may get the first drive this weekend after some suspension work, then I can start on the tuning process.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
95 SS impala was a badass car in its day. Had a friend who had one and he loved it like a son
man my brother had a black one .mustang killer .. they just on that car because it was heavy *** sh** but she move like she stole something .. cam an PCM tune
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

What exhaust is on this beast? I think* I may of asked this before, I don't recall. LOL
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Launching!

The exhaust is all custom built tubing. 3" round off the headers transitioning to 3" oval to get better ground clearance under the middle of the car, back to 3" round into the drive shaft tunner. Borla Pro-XS mufflers (3" in and out), then 3" round tube over the axle and out the back.

It's a challenge to snake that 3" tube up and around the axle with a Watt's link in there...
Old 04-30-2018, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Carbuf,
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exhaust is all custom built tubing. 3" round off the headers transitioning to 3" oval to get better ground clearance under the middle of the car, back to 3" round into the drive shaft tunner. Borla Pro-XS mufflers (3" in and out), then 3" round tube over the axle and out the back.

It's a challenge to snake that 3" tube up and around the axle with a Watt's link in there...
u have any pic

Quick Reply: 434ci, MMS 265 heads, Super Victor intake, MMS solid roller cam - dyno results