416 made horrible numbers!! Whatís wrong? - Page 9 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

416 made horrible numbers!! Whatís wrong?

 
Old 10-23-2018, 11:13 AM
  #161  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (10)
 
blackbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: cookeville, TN
Posts: 3,408
Default

probably not as noisy as you think, ls valve train is a bit chatty anyway and since it was the last rocker the tip probably settled in low spot and the rocker probably hit the push road on occasion but unless you popped the hood and were looking for it, likely wouldnt notice honestly.

Glad it was a somewhat simple thing, but if the same people assembled the head and rockers id be questioning the quality honestly.
blackbyrd is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 AM
  #162  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,687
Default

ws6store has some new rockers they are proud of btw.

Glad you found the problem!
trilkb is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:01 AM
  #163  
KCS
Moderator
iTrader: (19)
 
KCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 8,325
Default

Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post
probably not as noisy as you think, ls valve train is a bit chatty anyway and since it was the last rocker the tip probably settled in low spot and the rocker probably hit the push road on occasion but unless you popped the hood and were looking for it, likely wouldnt notice honestly.

Glad it was a somewhat simple thing, but if the same people assembled the head and rockers id be questioning the quality honestly.
I had a trunion fail and it was loud. There was no mistaking that something was wrong. I would be pretty surprised if this would have been any quieter.
KCS is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:46 AM
  #164  
TECH Regular
 
Dimeomboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Emory Texas currently
Posts: 469
Default

With an open downpipe I couldn't hear the broken rocker in my motor either but I knew it had to be either that or plugs something making it miss bad so its believable but hopefully its minimal damage
Dimeomboost is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 10:52 AM
  #165  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (10)
 
blackbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: cookeville, TN
Posts: 3,408
Default

trunion failure I could see being more noisy, but in this case a broken rocker tip being on the end of the head at the low end of the slant it would have a low chance of bouncing around on the other rockers (that you would hear most likely) so the only noise you would hear would be the tick/slap of the push rod hitting the back the rocker arm on occasion, but most likely with no tension on the rocker the push rod probably tapped it out of reach and the only noise you would hear is potentially the push rod rattling since it has nothing to keep tension on it, but would likely blend in with the rest of the valve train noise.
blackbyrd is offline  
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 PM
  #166  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
flintwrench69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mt Morris, Michigan
Posts: 1,989
Default

The 92 mm TB is not the issue. Nor is the stock LS3 intake, power does start to drop slightly after 6500. OPs build is very similar to mine cam is about identical to mine, same heads. Just wonder why he went with -9cc dished pistons as I went with a domed valve relief Wiseco to have 11.5:1 CR vs his 10.8:1. I made 485/457 through a ypipe then 513/482 w TSP TDs. But OPs should still make 460+ whp.
flintwrench69 is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 01:03 AM
  #167  
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: branford,CT
Posts: 142
Default

Originally Posted by flintwrench69 View Post
The 92 mm TB is not the issue. Nor is the stock LS3 intake, power does start to drop slightly after 6500. OPs build is very similar to mine cam is about identical to mine, same heads. Just wonder why he went with -9cc dished pistons as I went with a domed valve relief Wiseco to have 11.5:1 CR vs his 10.8:1. I made 485/457 through a ypipe then 513/482 w TSP TDs. But OPs should still make 460+ whp.
Cheers to not reading the whole thread lol
My2000Z28 is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 07:38 AM
  #168  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
flintwrench69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mt Morris, Michigan
Posts: 1,989
Default

Originally Posted by My2000Z28 View Post


Cheers to not reading the whole thread lol
Don't have time for that but I seen broken rocker after posting. It's funny how many blamed intake TB size blah blah lol
flintwrench69 is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 05:54 AM
  #169  
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Default

That was the problem! Broken rocker & I noticed my map sensor was hanging on by a thread so I replaced it! Runs the best itís ever ran, now it has to get tuned for all 8 cyl instead of 7. Which is considered a $150 retune fee. 🙄 So I think Iíll just wait because I donít wanna spend money when trying to be a house!
Thank You all for the help! I really appreciate it a lot!!
& I apologize to Thompson Motorsports for blaming them, Very ignorant on my part. Now to eventually see what kind of power it makes!
JRickel is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 PM
  #170  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
99 Black Bird T/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,064
Default

Originally Posted by JRickel View Post
That was the problem! Broken rocker & I noticed my map sensor was hanging on by a thread so I replaced it! Runs the best itís ever ran, now it has to get tuned for all 8 cyl instead of 7. Which is considered a $150 retune fee. 🙄 So I think Iíll just wait because I donít wanna spend money when trying to be a house!
Thank You all for the help! I really appreciate it a lot!!
& I apologize to Thompson Motorsports for blaming them, Very ignorant on my part. Now to eventually see what kind of power it makes!
That's excellent news! I'm happy the car is getting sorted out.
Look forward to seeing the new dyno tune results too!
99 Black Bird T/A is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 09:29 PM
  #171  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (28)
 
gnx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,004
Default

I hope that you called the engine builder and profusely apologized!!!!! and/or buy them lunch
gnx7 is offline  
Old 10-31-2018, 12:05 AM
  #172  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (5)
 
subeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,019
Default

Well my diagnosis was correct.
subeone is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 11:52 AM
  #173  
"I MAID THEESE"
iTrader: (3)
 
Mavn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,489
Default

Originally Posted by subeone View Post
Well my diagnosis was correct.
Ur a hoe Cesar
Mavn is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 PM
  #174  
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (4)
 
thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 857
Default

Originally Posted by JRickel View Post
That was the problem! Broken rocker & I noticed my map sensor was hanging on by a thread so I replaced it! Runs the best itís ever ran, now it has to get tuned for all 8 cyl instead of 7. Which is considered a $150 retune fee. 🙄 So I think Iíll just wait because I donít wanna spend money when trying to be a house!
Thank You all for the help! I really appreciate it a lot!!
& I apologize to Thompson Motorsports for blaming them, Very ignorant on my part. Now to eventually see what kind of power it makes!
We are just glad you were able to get it sorted out. No problems here. Let us know if we can help with anything else in the future.
__________________
LSx Specialists
[email protected]
Thompson Motorsports
Facebook

Services include but not limited to: Parts and sales, customer service, Tuning and Dyno Service, Nitrous refill, Installs, Fab Work, DFW pick up and drop off, etc..
thompson is online now  
Old 11-22-2018, 01:38 PM
  #175  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Default

Is the shop that tuned it, the same that assembled the engine?
02EBC5Z06 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM
  #176  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 98
Default

Any updates? Curious what it made!
LSleeper1500 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 AM
  #177  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (37)
 
LilJayV10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evansville,IN
Posts: 7,002
Default

LMAO at all the trolls who were SURE the shop swapped a 5.3 in place of the 416 before any testing or diagnosing was done.

Lstech never fails to deliver quality content.
LilJayV10 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 AM
  #178  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 9,415
Default

The rumor mill is a busy one.... lol
G Atsma is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM
  #179  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Chris25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 654
Default

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post
LMAO at all the trolls who were SURE the shop swapped a 5.3 in place of the 416 before any testing or diagnosing was done.

Lstech never fails to deliver quality content.
Can you blame anyone I mean that stuff happens you cant say that it doesn't, granted that shouldn't be the first conclusion to jump to but it does happen not every shop is reputable.
Chris25 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: