Frustrated with forged bottom end H/C results. - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Frustrated with forged bottom end H/C results.

 
Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM
  #61  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,191
Default

Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
I like my BTR stage 2 with ported 243 heads. Pulls strong all the way to 6800 rpm. Cam Motion Titan 2 would be another cam to look at. I made 400 rhp with a Dorman LS2 intake on a dyno a bit on the low side compared to what it normally reads.

I don't think there is anything to be gained with a MSD intake unless you are spinning to 7500 rpm.
I have the same cam and ported 243ís. I also have a dorman ls2. So I guess my assumption of about 400hp is right. 4000lb car with me in it trapping 113mph. Stage 4 cam is just way too big. For that motor. Unless itís in a super light car, but a big stall and gears. In other words everything should be tailored around that. Still should have made more hp tho.
Kfxguy is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:18 AM
  #62  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Chris25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 642
Default

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post

I have the same cam and ported 243ís. I also have a dorman ls2. So I guess my assumption of about 400hp is right. 4000lb car with me in it trapping 113mph. Stage 4 cam is just way too big. For that motor. Unless itís in a super light car, but a big stall and gears. In other words everything should be tailored around that. Still should have made more hp tho.
4000 ouch need to put it on a diet lol last time I weighed mine it was under 3500 without me in it full interior.
Chris25 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 AM
  #63  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Darth_V8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: My own internal universe
Posts: 6,597
Default

Originally Posted by chicofiebru View Post
Thanks for that info. Now talking about the cam, which cam could help me reach 450hp or get as close as possible, after I figure out the fuel issue of course. Do you think the 228r will be plenty for 450whp, or will I be better calling tsp for a custom cam? The car is not a daily driver, drive it around twice a week. Any other info on supporting mods you can give me will be appreciated. I know youre one of the wise guys here.
With stock heads and stock compression I think 450 is a bit of a pipe dream. I do think with a 228-ish cam, 430 is a realistic number as it sits right now. There are a few guys who have hit 450 territory with just bolt ons, so I know it can be done, but the cost of the bolt-ons probably higher than just getting better heads. You could easily investigate the AI cnc package for ls1/ls6 heads to see what you get for the money. If you go the bolt ons route,

electric water pump, ATI pulley, power steering delete or turn1 pump or electric steering conversion, insulator under the intake, light clutch if its a manual, behind the headers go to either a 4-inch merge or dual 3", vacuum pump, crank scraper, tensioner delete, maf delete

FWIW -- I hit 490's on a 227/235 cam and 530's with a 237/245 cam through a T56 and 4.30 geared 9" rear. But that was with the best possible heads AND every bolt-on listed above AND work on the driveline for efficiency, such as CF driveshaft, bearing upgrades, etc. There's a whole really long thread on it, if you have about a month of spare time, but documents everything including the pain I went through and the mistakes I made. Link in my sig.

Bottom line, if you decide to keep your current cam, the heads are mismatched for the cam. If you want a fun DD, a smaller cam with awesome heads is a blast to drive with a nice broad power curve.
Darth_V8r is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 PM
  #64  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,191
Default

Originally Posted by Chris25 View Post
4000 ouch need to put it on a diet lol last time I weighed mine it was under 3500 without me in it full interior.
gto is heavy. I took 100 out of it since then. But added 50 back with the turbo and probably 25 with the intercooler. Lol.
Kfxguy is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 PM
  #65  
TECH Addict
 
98CayenneT/A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: White Bear, Mn
Posts: 2,959
Default

Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
I don't think there is anything to be gained with a MSD intake unless you are spinning to 7500 rpm.
You don't think there would be gains over the anemic Ls6 intake ?
98CayenneT/A is online now  
Old 10-17-2018, 12:51 PM
  #66  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Darth_V8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: My own internal universe
Posts: 6,597
Default

It will carry better past peak with msd and peak should shift to the right.
Darth_V8r is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 AM
  #67  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnnystock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,597
Default

If it can help you, I gained 14rwhp from 5000+ with a Fast92 over a ls6 setup, with ported heads and a tr228 cam.
Johnnystock is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 AM
  #68  
11 Second Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 523
Default

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Yeah dropping anywhere from 2 to 3 grand in one shot isn't so easy lol. You definitely doing the 9 over the 12 bolt or S60?
Im in the market for a rear end to why are you going 9 over 12bolt and s60, 12 bolt is weak and s60 to heavy?

Mike.
qweedqwag is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 AM
  #69  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Chris25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 642
Default

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post

gto is heavy. I took 100 out of it since then. But added 50 back with the turbo and probably 25 with the intercooler. Lol.
I bet its a monster to drive now lol still on the stock rear?
Chris25 is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM
  #70  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,191
Default

Originally Posted by Chris25 View Post
I bet its a monster to drive now lol still on the stock rear?
it moves down the road effortlessly. I put a low mileage 06 rear and driveshaft in it, which is a slight upgrade. I destroyed the stock 04 smaller driveshaft before I put the turbo, the 06 is beefier. I have done no first gear launches because it just spins. Iíll have to see if I can get it to hook at the track. If not Iíll look into getting some Mickey Thompson drag radials instead of the nto5r I have. Then I may need to get some shocks better suited for drag. But yea, it pullls really really hard on 6psi.
Kfxguy is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM
  #71  
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (4)
 
LSX Power Tuning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brenham TX
Posts: 2,109
Default

Originally Posted by chicofiebru View Post
I'm in Killeen Texas.
We have re-tuned alot of cars from killeen and Temple area.
__________________

Full Service LSX Shop
*MAIL ORDER TUNING LINK*
HP Tuners, EFI Live, SCT, Holley, BS3, FAST XFI
Holley Certified Installer & Tuner
MSD, Brian Tooley, HP Tuners, EFI Live, Holley, Edge, Superchips +100's more

Email, Remote, Mail Order, Dyno, Street & Track Tuning
*WEBPAGE* *FACEBOOK* *ONLINE STORE*
LSX Power Tuning is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM
  #72  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 11,158
Default

Originally Posted by qweedqwag View Post
Im in the market for a rear end to why are you going 9 over 12bolt and s60, 12 bolt is weak and s60 to heavy?

Mike.
A stamped 9 is basically as heavy as a S60, plus sucks more power with it's ring and pinion setup.
HCI2000SS is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM
  #73  
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3,876
Default

OP you have a pm.
tech@WS6store is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 PM
  #74  
10 Second Club
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 3,090
Default

I read this entire thread and
big hammer is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 PM
  #75  
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Cal.
Posts: 8,993
Default

Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
i read this entire thread and
and?????
G Atsma is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 06:50 PM
  #76  
Staging Lane
Thread Starter
 
chicofiebru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 53
Default

Guys thanks for all the replies and sorry that it took me long to post back. Been busy! I got 2 good news!
The first one is the injectors were 45lbs, not the ones on my buddy's car that were 850cc! So tuner was right. I'm happy about that cause I want to keep trusting him, he live like 5 mins from my house. News #2, this will change the thread completely and I think it will be better to just open a new one on the right section with a bunch of nice pictures. Ready? I have been talking to Jon from Huron Speed Products through facebook and I'm getting a V3 Turbo Kit at the end of the month, joining the DARKSIDE! With that said I'm keeping the LS6 manifold, changing the BTR stage 4 cam for something like an LS9 cam and getting bigger injectors. This will be my first turbo car, so I'm not trying to make 800hp right away. Goal is 600hp, get used to that power level, see what breaks and what not, and step up after that. I'll be posting the new thread soon and I hope you guys can help me, specially FI guys. Again, thanks a lot!
chicofiebru is offline  
Old 10-21-2018, 10:22 PM
  #77  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,191
Default

Originally Posted by chicofiebru View Post
Guys thanks for all the replies and sorry that it took me long to post back. Been busy! I got 2 good news!
The first one is the injectors were 45lbs, not the ones on my buddy's car that were 850cc! So tuner was right. I'm happy about that cause I want to keep trusting him, he live like 5 mins from my house. News #2, this will change the thread completely and I think it will be better to just open a new one on the right section with a bunch of nice pictures. Ready? I have been talking to Jon from Huron Speed Products through facebook and I'm getting a V3 Turbo Kit at the end of the month, joining the DARKSIDE! With that said I'm keeping the LS6 manifold, changing the BTR stage 4 cam for something like an LS9 cam and getting bigger injectors. This will be my first turbo car, so I'm not trying to make 800hp right away. Goal is 600hp, get used to that power level, see what breaks and what not, and step up after that. I'll be posting the new thread soon and I hope you guys can help me, specially FI guys. Again, thanks a lot!

i wouldnt get an ls9 cam. Get a btr stage one or two turbo cam.
Kfxguy is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM
  #78  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (26)
 
ddnspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 8,092
Default

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post



i wouldnt get an ls9 cam. Get a btr Cam Motion stage one or two turbo cam.
Fixed for you.
ddnspider is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 AM
  #79  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,191
Default

Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
Fixed for you.

lol.

I used to work at cam motion years ago. I worked in the Cnc room, hobbed gears and straightened cams. I worked both Cnc machines that cut the lobes and the other one that slotted the cam and drilled and tapped the ends. Anyways. Lol
Kfxguy is offline  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 AM
  #80  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (26)
 
ddnspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 8,092
Default

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post



lol.

I used to work at cam motion years ago. I worked in the Cnc room, hobbed gears and straightened cams. I worked both Cnc machines that cut the lobes and the other one that slotted the cam and drilled and tapped the ends. Anyways. Lol
Sounds cool. I just fixed it cause BTR cam's are over rated.
ddnspider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: