Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

why did I make no power???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question why did I make no power???

Previous set up was cam only TR 230, all bolt ons, hooker long tubes, custom 3" y pipe thru a cutout, ls6 intake, jantzer TB,steel flywheel, single disk kevlar, 12 bolt w/4.30's. I put down 393 hp and 385 tq. The car peaked at about 5800 and pulled strong all the way till 7000.
Well, I went to the dyno yesterday with my new set up. The drive train was the same but the motor was completely different.
Now I have the Futral F11 cam on a 114 lsa, AS Stg2 5.3's, HS rockers, Comp stock replacement lifters, 7.4 pushrods, Rollmaster dbl chain, TR ported oil pump, 28.8 injectors, March fluid underdrive pulley.

I put down a whopping 385hp and 363 tq. I peaked right about 6k and then dropped off like I had valve float at 6400. I am completel confused with this. My tuner was adding and subtracting fuel and timing trying to get my car to react and it never really did. The drastic changes that he made only netted a +/- 2-3 hp difference. With the changes that he made, you would expect to see a 10-15 hp drop or gain at least.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. It really sucks to spend all that money and lose power over a cam only setup.

Andy
Old 08-21-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Andy, are thsoe heads milled with those pushrods?
Old 08-21-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jay told me that he only shaved off enough to clean the surface. I am not even 100% sure what springs I have. I know they are comp doubles but what # I dont know. Getting in touch with Jay is almost impossible.

I have a set of Crane doubles made for the stock seat but I dont think I can use those since the head seats have been enlarged for the bigger comp springs. Does anyone know either way?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haole_boySS
Jay told me that he only shaved off enough to clean the surface. I am not even 100% sure what springs I have. I know they are comp doubles but what # I dont know. Getting in touch with Jay is almost impossible.

I have a set of Crane doubles made for the stock seat but I dont think I can use those since the head seats have been enlarged for the bigger comp springs. Does anyone know either way?
If Crane doubles have their own spring seat it will locate off of guide and you could still use them with machined spring seats. Look for around 130lbs. seat pressure from whatever springs your running. Sounds like you could have knock retard causing power drop off? Check your cranking compression if you think you have too much lifter preload.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow something is really wrong there pal. Id start off by checking the valvetrain geomotry is set up right. then I would check on the cam to see if its installed right.
plus was it dyno'd on the same dyno as last time?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the comp 977's they require the comp r lifter because of the excessive spring pressures.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to go back and re torque each rocker at TDC and I have to get ahold of Jay at AS to see exactly what springs I have.
TJ, I was not aware that the comp r's are required with the 977 springs. If that is the case, I can just drop in the 978's right? I would rather do a spring swap then take the heads off again to get to the lifters.
BTW, if I have 977's and not R lifters, what exactly is that doing to my valve train????
Old 08-22-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

seems like it is peaking early, check valvetrain geometry and possibly even put the stock rockers back on and go dyno to see what happens. Alot of people have had problems with comp r's including myself. Stick with the stock lifters drop some good springs in there (like the 978s) if changing out the rockers doesn't work. I would also call futral and ask him what pushrod length he would put in a car with a setup like yours.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Not trying to steal the post or anything but could some of u guys help me out in this post. I would be in such a hurry but im leaving for college later 2night and i want to fix it b4 then? Just kinda want someone to look at those graphs and tell me something.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/207299-dyno-results.html

Thanks,

Oh and hope u find out whats wrong with yours.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haole_boySS
I am going to go back and re torque each rocker at TDC and I have to get ahold of Jay at AS to see exactly what springs I have.
TJ, I was not aware that the comp r's are required with the 977 springs. If that is the case, I can just drop in the 978's right? I would rather do a spring swap then take the heads off again to get to the lifters.
BTW, if I have 977's and not R lifters, what exactly is that doing to my valve train????
Best thing to do is call Jay and find out what springs are in your heads instead of guessing. He'll fill you in on the rest.