Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno Test German castrol 0-30 VS. Mobile 1 5-30

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ he wasn't talking about RP, he was talking about the german made castrol, which has proved much better wear numbesr than RP and M1. The analysis doesn't lie. Go on bobistheoilguy.com and do some reading.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting info. Which oil manufacturers select is based on many reasons, some such as, who gives them the best purchase contract and now very heavily on federally mandated fuel mileage. As possibly indicated by this test, Mobil I was a better choice then German Castrol for fuel mileage. Towards the end of the list of selection criteria is, which oil wears the best because the worst oil on the shelf at Walmart will take an engine many times past the warranty mile limit. Just because one oil indicated more or less HP is no indication of which one is better for wear on an engine.

Last edited by dynocar; 12-18-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

thanks for the info
Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is pretty much common sense.

Hey, let's go for maximum horsepower. Let's take out half a quart of oil for less resistance and run thin mobil 1 oil for faster oil movement threw the motor. Should pick up a solid 5 rwhp

No thanks, I will run more oil in my motor than it calls for and use the thicker GC 30wt oil for WOT protection And before some dumbass says it's bad to put more oil into your motor, the LS1 design / oil pan can take alot more than 5.5 qts of oil and not have any problems.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're talking less than 1%, any thought on that being the variation within the dyno?

"On my third run I used ****-eaze and hit 515rwhp..."
Old 12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

id like to see what the difference would be between the mobil 1 and Red Line, thats what my dad an i use in our cars and karts.

nice research
brandon
Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mike c.
wow,5-30,a little thin for me. i run kendall 20-50 for protection,a few more hp isn't worth it to me.
I agree, I run Amsoil 20-50 racing oil in my forged motor.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
You're talking less than 1%, any thought on that being the variation within the dyno?

"On my third run I used ****-eaze and hit 515rwhp..."

This is the ignorant comment that I was looking for. Thanks for your input I will try **** ease next time if it is good for 515 as you seem to have tested it out.

READ HOW THE TEST WENT AND THINK TO YOURSELF IF IT IS JUST A VARIATION IN THE DYNO,

THIS IS WHAT YOU COULD TRY ACTUALLY READ, THINK, THEN ASK YOURSELF THE QUESTION READ AGAIN THEN YOU MIGHT GET IT RIGHT.

maybe next time I will try a few other oils and see what happens
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Where is the evidence?? If Royal Purple is THAT much better than Mobil 1, then why do manufacturers of high performance engines use M1 as factory fill instead of RP??

I honestly can't see how it can be any better in terms of wear. It may last longer due to more additives and such, but I find it hrd to believe that there would be a measureable difference in wear of a motor that runs RP and one that runs M1.
If you did oil analysis results and/or studied the results of others who had done oil analysis on their LSx based motors, you'd see how some oils are better than others as far as wear goes. It isn't that Mobil 1 is a bad oil...it is that Mobil 1 5w30 is a thin 30wt oil at operating temps. That is what is in dispute here. That is what is most likely attributable to the higher wear seen in these engines when running this oil. People have had better wear results with Mobil 1 0w40 since it is a thicker oil...these engines just like a little thicker oil. Nothing more, nothing less.

And as stated, just because a manufacturer uses it as a factory fill doesn't mean that it is the best stuff out there. Manufacturers do what is best to meet the criteria so that the engine lasts until the warranty is up, and what is cheapest to them.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
This is the ignorant comment that I was looking for. Thanks for your input I will try **** ease next time if it is good for 515 as you seem to have tested it out.

READ HOW THE TEST WENT AND THINK TO YOURSELF IF IT IS JUST A VARIATION IN THE DYNO,

THIS IS WHAT YOU COULD TRY ACTUALLY READ, THINK, THEN ASK YOURSELF THE QUESTION READ AGAIN THEN YOU MIGHT GET IT RIGHT.
I don't think his comment is any more ignorant than thinking that changing your oil can net you more power on the dyno. It kinda sucks that Royal Purple has planted the seed with their marketing gimmick because it leads to stuff like this that really leads some consumers astray. I'm sure that running a thinner oil will help the engine free up some more power, but at what cost? More wear...it is no secret that GC 0w30 is a thicker oil than Mobil 1 5w30. I'm not surprised that the Mobil 1 produced the better numbers because of it.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I do think that the idea of oil giving you 10+ HP is not true and that is why I checked it myself so that I would have no doubt what the difference is.

My next test will be the electric water pump I see several different claims of what the gains are there and I am going to test it myself the same day on the same dyno and I am sure if it picks up 7 hp it will still only be a %1.3 gain on a car that makes the same hp EVERY TIME on the same dyno and will be invalid. That is why I was bothered by his comments. I am sure that with some cars/ dynos there is a small error and if my car would run inconsistant dyno pulls I would not have even bothered with this thread because it would be to small of a change to see. But the fact that it will repeat within 1 hp told me that I can run a test that is down to 3 ,4 or 5 hp

I appologize if i was harsh
Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I do think that the idea of oil giving you 10+ HP is not true and that is why I checked it myself so that I would have no doubt what the difference is.

My next test will be the electric water pump I see several different claims of what the gains are there and I am going to test it myself the same day on the same dyno and I am sure if it picks up 7 hp it will still only be a %1.3 gain on a car that makes the same hp EVERY TIME on the same dyno and will be invalid. That is why I was bothered by his comments. I am sure that with some cars/ dynos there is a small error and if my car would run inconsistant dyno pulls I would not have even bothered with this thread because it would be to small of a change to see. But the fact that it will repeat within 1 hp told me that I can run a test that is down to 3 ,4 or 5 hp

I appologize if i was harsh
I think he was more or less responding to what I've been trying to say here, which is that the Mobil 1 5w30 produces a little more wear on the engines as proven by independent oil analysis results, so you really aren't getting something for nothing here. But what does that extra wear mean? No one can give a difinitive answer on that...with the Mobil 1 changed regularly, your engine might last 200k miles, with the GC, it could last a little more (like 200,001 miles).

Don't worry about being harsh...I have my own personal fan club of some people on here that spout off some really weird stuff from time to time, and I can get snippy with them too This is the internet after all...now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to pleasuring my supermodel girlfriend
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

NOt that it really matters but I have always used RP 5-30 (tried GC for 6k miles and didn't like it all that much myself) and have raced my 98 Z a million times.... it now has just under 179k miles and still running strong..... Also, while running GC I dyno'd 334/348 with 2500 miles on the oil (cat-back lid only) after fresh RP and the same set up it dyno'd 338/351.... Typical gains from having fresh oil in the car... I think it is kinda dumb to use oil as a way to pick up cheap hp's... that is just my personal opinion though.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Oil has a major effect on how lifters work. Changes in power may result from this as well other than just friction
Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Dyno numbers are all fine and dandy, but I'd be more interested in the oil analysis results to see which oil produces more wear. I'd place a healthy wager that the Mobil 1 5w30 produces more wear on the engine...

Good observation. Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and check out the UOA section. What you will find is that GC consistently shows lower wear than Mobil 1. In fact, Mobil 1 consistently shows high levels of lead!! The proof of wear can be seen by looking at a UOA and not dyno results.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe next time I will try a few other oils and see what happens
I don't think my response was ignorant, but it proves the point: in this very unscientific comparison with absolutely no supporting evidence, I could have used a thinner, slicker agent and achieved better dyno results. But, at what cost?

And please educate me, oh scholarly one, as to what intelligence I was to gain from reading your post? That now ricers can produce a new sticker to put on their car that assumes they gained 2hp in their 200hp ride by changing motor oil? C'mon man, what kind of feedback did you expect to receive posting this on LS1tech?

Just because you include the disclaimers of: it wasn't worth getting the graphs, I didn't post this for the credibility of my results to be questioned, etc. yet you use your "evidence" to support your change and you even go so far as to defend your "evidence"! Defending your info makes it appear that you are stating it as fact and you are doing so without any supporting evidence. We all know, for one, that a little blip in the graph not smoothed can lead to a higher dyno number. In addition, I'd like to know: did you remove your vehicle to change the oil or did you leave it on the dyno; and, what was the time between the runs with different oil?

You don't need to post overlays, post individual graphs, and shut me up.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
This is pretty much common sense.

Hey, let's go for maximum horsepower. Let's take out half a quart of oil for less resistance and run thin mobil 1 oil for faster oil movement threw the motor. Should pick up a solid 5 rwhp

No thanks, I will run more oil in my motor than it calls for and use the thicker GC 30wt oil for WOT protection And before some dumbass says it's bad to put more oil into your motor, the LS1 design / oil pan can take alot more than 5.5 qts of oil and not have any problems.
Thank you, I was waiting for someone to say the obvious.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of us, I hope, take it for what it is worth, interesting reading and drawing your own conclusions, but then again, I would trust it further then some very scientific results or comparisons from any oil company or so called "independent lab".
Old 12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I don't think my response was ignorant, but it proves the point: in this very unscientific comparison with absolutely no supporting evidence, I could have used a thinner, slicker agent and achieved better dyno results. But, at what cost?

And please educate me, oh scholarly one, as to what intelligence I was to gain from reading your post? That now ricers can produce a new sticker to put on their car that assumes they gained 2hp in their 200hp ride by changing motor oil? C'mon man, what kind of feedback did you expect to receive posting this on LS1tech?

Just because you include the disclaimers of: it wasn't worth getting the graphs, I didn't post this for the credibility of my results to be questioned, etc. yet you use your "evidence" to support your change and you even go so far as to defend your "evidence"! Defending your info makes it appear that you are stating it as fact and you are doing so without any supporting evidence. We all know, for one, that a little blip in the graph not smoothed can lead to a higher dyno number. In addition, I'd like to know: did you remove your vehicle to change the oil or did you leave it on the dyno; and, what was the time between the runs with different oil?

You don't need to post overlays, post individual graphs, and shut me up.
He posted his disclaimers because he knew, just as I know, and many others know, that posting ANY sort of information these days will invariably drag in the naysayers with their sarcasm.

He did nothing more than post information. 6 runs within 1hp of each other, followed by two oil changes and additional runs with consistant results. He posted the results and told us to 'take it as you may' (something anybody should do regardless HOW the information was presented). Your 'analeaze' comment was completely uncalled for, completely unproductive, and completely useless to this thread. THAT is the only fact here.

If his credibility is in question, posting graphs wouldn't change a thing.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jRaskell
He posted his disclaimers because he knew, just as I know, and many others know, that posting ANY sort of information these days will invariably drag in the naysayers with their sarcasm.
It has become a staple of LS1Tech as of late to completely tear apart anyone's thread that posts any sort of personally researched and tested data.

Quick Reply: Dyno Test German castrol 0-30 VS. Mobile 1 5-30