Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

dyno'd my car today... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno'd my car today... some questions

first off, this wasn't a serious, "get-all-the-power-possible" dyno run... it was college days, so all the high school seniors were wandering around the shop, and our instructor decided to let us hook up a few cars to the dyno just to have as a demonstration to attract kids to become an auto major...

anyways, i don't have any specs on the dyno besides the fact that it was installed in 1978 when they built the building... so i have no idea how accurate it is, and that is where my question comes up.

I have a 1999 Z/28 and the only mod i have done to it is a SLP cold air intake. It is an automatic transmission.
We only made 3 "pulls" on the dyno, one from 4500, 4700, and 5000. My highest horsepower recorded on the dyno was about 225-230. Is that right? Does that sound off to you? There is no printout for me to post up (dyno's too old) but i don't know, those numbers just seemed a little low to me. if i did my math right that's about a 28% loss through my tranny.

I'm just curious as to what other guys have seen on a stock car with an auto.

We are in the process of raising funds for a new 4-wheel dyno which we hope to be able to get sometime soon. So if we get that, then i'll really be able to tell what i've got.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

That seems pretty low for an LS1 car, but if the dynos that ancient, it might be way off or use different means of calculation. Get it on a proper dyno before assuming its your car.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

yeahhh its off a bit...lol!

You should have around 300-310 to the wheels stock. All LS1s have 350hp, reguardless of what GMs marketing department says. I wouldnt go by what that dyno says, its old as hell and obviously not accurate. Tell the school board to get a new dyno jet asap, for the sake of your education.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hell'sChariot
Tell the school board to get a new dyno jet asap, for the sake of your education.
That's exactly what we're doin. I guess someone is having a meeting with someone tomorrow to see if we can get the funds for a new dyno So hopefully it'll happen!

Yeah, i was thinking that sounded a little low. Well that gives me hope then, lol. Our instructor put his M5 on the dyno too, but something wasn't working quite right with either his car or the dyno, cuz when he tried to get on it it started acting like it was hitting a rev limiter or something, but he still beat me with hp numbers (however accurate it may not be).
it was a fun day though. my first time putting my car on a dyno.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by steelhorses
That's exactly what we're doin. I guess someone is having a meeting with someone tomorrow to see if we can get the funds for a new dyno So hopefully it'll happen!

Yeah, i was thinking that sounded a little low. Well that gives me hope then, lol. Our instructor put his M5 on the dyno too, but something wasn't working quite right with either his car or the dyno, cuz when he tried to get on it it started acting like it was hitting a rev limiter or something, but he still beat me with hp numbers (however accurate it may not be).
it was a fun day though. my first time putting my car on a dyno.

BMW's are wonky like that, if the vehicle senses the front tires staying still and the back moving it limits you to like 4k rpm. Pull his ABS fuse and give er.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats way low. Your car should be in the 290-300 area