Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TEA 5.3's and 232/236 dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TEA 5.3's and 232/236 dyno numbers

and if anyone is bashing it is the tea pushers bashing
Sorry but you have that bassackwards... I havent seen nay TEA users bashing anyone on these posts. Its the other name brand head users coming in here saying TEA sucks and there flow numbers are misleading thats the bashing. Looks to me most of the TEA users on here actaully reccomend other name brand heads also I have TEA's but i have never bashed AS or Patriot for example. I promote them for the price they sell them at! But I highly recomend 2 brands of heads: TEA and Absolute But saying TEA pushers are doing the bashing is total BS

Sorry for getting the post off track here guys
Old 08-10-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting in the discussion kind of late here but the guys at ESP can definatly tune a car. I have seen some huge #'s come out of there and many happy customers.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Kevin and I apologize as well. Chris PM should be there...
Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

I say it is way low, especially with a cam that large. I wouldn't care who's heads and who's 346 I had I would be pissed if my car didn't make at least 425-430 to the wheels in an M6 car. I have seen stock headed bolt on M6’s with smaller cams make more power than that.
were they using slp headers?
Not that I recall. Most were FLP's or Grotts although I haven't paid much attention to what headers most people are running. I am running FLP's and I am over the 400 mark with stock heads and the TR 224/112 cam.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:23 AM
TECH Resident

I am sure the guys at east side can tune also. I also think they would have done there best no matter who's heads they were working with.

Thats why I think there is a problem with ring seal.
also I think a ported tb.underdrive pulley and a cutout and some better headers he is leaving about 40 hp on the table.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW i have found lift that flow stalls on port goes up when intake is bolted in place. So if flow at .550" is peak on so and so's head,bolt on intake and peak can go up to .575" or even higher at times. This is more real world that engine will see when running.Also remember that time affects flow in port, valve is only at max lift for a instant at 5000+rpm, so this flow drop may not even occur under running conditions.Its more about the graph of flow curve not any one point on that graph tested at a stalled position, make sense?
Old 08-10-2003, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I wonder what the LSA and advance on the cam is. I would hope around 108 and 4 degrees. It could be 112 or 114 which would be to much for a cam that big. My observation is that you have to have some overlap to hit big numbers.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Re: TEA 5.3's and 232/236 dyno numbers *DELETED*

Post deleted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Old 08-10-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

This is a brand new ARE shortblock that was built like 3 weeks ago, I doubt there is a ring seal issue. Also I still believe the SLP headers are worthless and I think when I swap to the Kooks I will see a huge gain, Not to mention the loudmouth sucks ***. This car is far from being done. I have faith in my TEA heads, They are Stage 2 by the way that I bought 8 months ago. They flowed 300 at 600 lift. Let me save some money up swap the headers and add the pulley and throttle body and lets see what shes got in her.

Again Thanks ESP for all your hard work. I am happy with how the car drives.I'm sure the track will show how great this setup is, I dont doubt I'll hit 11's.

Marco
Old 08-10-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Krazy,

While back I saw one dyno graph from a car that had a set of cleaned up MAC's then another graph from the same car when it had SLP headers on it. The SLP did very well under 4500 rpm and made more power than the MAC's, however over 4500 rpm to peak rwhp the MAC's had a 8-10rwhp edge over the SLP's. The cars owner said he gained ~1/10 to 2/10's at the track with the SLP's. The SLP graph appeared to have more area under the curve overall.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Krazy I agree with you the SLP's are worthless I've seen more than one car loose HP's after install. One of the cars was my last car the WS6.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Krazy.Those are good numbers.With the TB,headers,and a pulley you will go well over 400.
Good luck with and have fun.

I wonder how it would do with the new thunder 236 reverse split in there??
Old 08-11-2003, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

another very dissapointing dyno with tea heads
WTF are you talking about? Just about everyone I know has great #s w/ TEA heads. He needs to get rid of the SLP long tubes and maybe slap on a pulley and I'm sure 420rwhp will be his.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Thats funny my WS6 has SLP headers and our heads only flowed 270 at .550 I have no pulley and the car was built 3 years ago and it hit 416rwhp 397rwtq. Its not the headers fault its a combo. Those heads may flow fine the cam does not work to there potential.

Nate
Old 08-11-2003, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I hate to see all the controversy about our product. Obviously most of the people that have TEA heads like them and are partial to them. As far as flow numbers go, we flow every set we send out the door. We do far more then just LS1 heads, and probably half of the heads we do get flowed at one time or another. Most of them flow as much or more then what we send on their flow sheet, so to say our flow bench is 20 cfm high is ignorance. Phill99vett recently flowed our heads that we did for him and they flowed over 300 cfm. IF ANYONE FLOWS ONE OF OUR HEADS AND IT DOES NOT FLOW WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO SEND IT BACK. We will reflow that port and give the results. If it is down we will fix it. There is one varible with our process, and that is the hand blending of the valve job, we have seen our heads get to the flow bench and be as much as 20 cfm down and then they have to be sent back to the porting room to get reblended. A business is only as good as its worst employee. We have a new valve job that delays the port stall to .675” lift and picks up around 5 cfm. We have seen our heads stall at .550” and have to work on them some more, but this is a thing of the past. We also have a new exhaust port that should flow more air but is still in testing. We do not contend that we have the best head available, only that for the money it is the best. But when you consider that the best sometimes leak water through water jackets and oil through spring pockets then it makes our product look that much better.
As far as dyno numbers go, I have seen on our own dyno, two F-bodys back to back with our heads, one made 380 rwhp and the other made 430 rwhp. It is hard for me to believe that there could be 50 rwhp between two h/c cars but I have seen it. Of course one had a baby cam and 5.7 heads the other had a good cam and 5.3 heads. There are so many variables that it is enough to drive someone crazy. Just recently someone posted 449 rwhp with our Stage II 5.3 heads and it barely got noticed. Let someone post less than 400 rwhp and it’s a brawl. People tend to focus on the negative. The fact is you could probably take the 6 best LS1 head shops in the country, put their average head on a car and they would make within 10 rwhp from best to worst. The problem is brand loyalty, which of course we appreciate, but as one of our customers said “keep an open mind”. We have an open mind, we know there are other companies that may have as much flow as we do and make as much power. Our stance is cost, availability, service, quality, consistency plays into the purchase decision. If someone has the best possible heads but has horrible customer service, spends months completing a set of heads, has several porters that do them, costs $2400 or makes inconsistent power then how can they be best? We picked up a dealer that was using a porter that is regarded to as the best, after busting a block with a set of heads that leaked water and refused to stand behind it, they came to us for heads. After a few months and many sets of heads later they called to tell us how happy they were with our product. The thing they were most impressed with was how consistent the heads were, from highest to lowest dyno number was 10 rwhp, where with the other shop the spread was 40 rwhp! So I hope everyone keeps an open mind on the subject of heads. BTW, where does ne14a6t9 live? We where planning a little road trip later this year.

Brian Tooley
Old 08-11-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree Brian 100% I guess it part of the business
everybody focuses on the negatives.
bottom line it made the power it made and thats it dont blame US dont blame TEA dont blame ARE dont blame KRAZY TA . Marco wanted what was best for him and he believes in TEA but Wade picked the cam and we tuned it and put it together
so before you guys blame the heads lets let the motor break in then we will check the tune and do our motor check up on new motors which includes a leak down and go from their
Old 08-11-2003, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian...
Thanx for posting in an effort to help educate those who may be uninformed.

ne14a6t9 ...
but i know that you would have at least 430 with gtp or other sponsors heads. sorry to all the tea guys for the reality check, remember this is my opinion and what I see from looking at other posts
So you know he would've made 430 w/another vendors heads ehh?? My,my....you must be good. With all this knowledge you've gained from "looking at other posts"(LMHWFAO!!), I must ask...how much power are your heads making?....oh...that's right..."mods coming soon"

One big thing is that the people going with the TEA heads aren't choosing cams that have been proven to work with the heads. Its not in the heads, its in the combo.

Very true...and it's not just the TEA headed guys either. You used to try to match the cam to the heads...not only knowing how the head flows, but it's charactoistics will allow you to choose a cam that will work to it's fullest potential w/any given vendor's head. I've learned this from first hand experience. Had a cam....chose a set of heads from a popular vendor w/out knowing what the head "liked"...car made no power. Was it the heads...the cam...or the combo ? FYI...it was the combo. Had Brian build a set of heads to work w/ that cam. End result: 415/405 on a small T1 cam through a 12 bolt/slicks.

Nowadays...folks read about the latest greatest parts on the internet, with absolutely no clue as to what makes a given combo click(or not), and wonder why they don't make the # Joe Blow made.

99blackbirdTA ....Different flow benches will show different #'s. Period. Does Cartek's dyno show the same # on the same car under the same conditions as say...TR's, or MTI's, or ARE's.? I doubt it. BTW....do you run an intake & headers on your car? Nuff said.....

98TAauto & Vince
....Well said.....

Phil99Vette...
I'll just say this once......YOU HAVE THE WRONG CAM FOR THOSE HEADS. PERIOD. TOTAL ENGINE AIRFLOW HEADS NEED A REVERSE SPLIT Verbs and others have shown that the TEA heads like a reverse split cam, not a conventional split. Heck I am just trying a conventional split to see what it does on the dyno, I am already debating about going to a 238/232 reverse split because the exhaust side of these heads flow so well WITH and WITHOUT a pipe.
Phillip
Again... very true ....although, I got my current #'s w/a small single pattern stick. Just installed an F11 cam, and am sorting out some issues...but looking forward to my combo kickin' *** on the dyno as well as the track(w/TEA heads). Will post new #'s soon...

My take....FWIW....
With all the advances made over the last two years in the LSx world...the bar is rising. We all know there are alot of very good porters, CNC programs, and tuners out there. In my mind, the name of the game must be to provide a product/service that meets(and hopefully exceeds)the expected, for less $$$ than your competiter.

While I do believe that with all of the advances in the industry it's hard to go wrong(unless of course you don't do your homework), I will say that I've been nothing but impressed with the power,(and track times) my TEA heads have provided for the $$$, but just as importantly, the quality of the service after the sale that Brian and Brent offer.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a bit biased toward TEA. I did alot of research before they earned my business, but that's just me. I'm certain that there are many other vendors out there w/the knowlege/track record to provide a winning product. It's a comfort thing. Gotta feel good about who I'm doing business with, and to date TEA has worked hard to provide a product and service that rivals most out there.

Set you priorities/goals....do your research, learn why some combo's out perform others and go with your gut. You won't be dissapointed.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

"BTW, where does ne14a6t9 live? We where planning a little road trip later this year."

hey brian tooley, i believe he's from the bronx here in New York. just wondering what you were planning on doing? hitting him with a cyl head? or offering him to try a set of your heads to shut him up. please specify.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tooley, I live in a nice little town outside new york city called the bronx. come on down some time, maybe at night you can hang with me and all my friends. let me know when your coming Ill give you an email with directions.
seriously, I dont meen to bash you and your product, this is only my opinion. but I say it the way I see it, im not going to kiss your *** like everyone else, when I see that at least 5 guys claim there heads flow 20 less cfm than advertised I cant help but build my opinion, when I see the only big dynoed cars come from your own dyno, I put 2 and 2 together. I gave you credit and said tea is not lying about there flows its proven your heads will read lower on a superflow. this was said by your own right hand man Brent
why dont you tell us who's heads broke through and and locked a motor, if evryone focuses on the negative then why havent I heard about this in a post. I would think if that happend the owner with the busted block would make a really nice post telling all about it, but nope no post
What happend to the post about your mystery 449 hp car? it was one of your pushers putting up a post{ oh my god I just some jerk off make 449 using tea heads with just a 224 cam. tea raising the bar} ohh more like raising the bs, thats why no one noticed it. along with another one of your boys and there post about there heads flowing over 300 cfm on an independant bench. hmmm let me guess who this biggest name in the head market in tx is? {what is gtp Alex} do i win a prize. Brent also wrote in one of his posts a few weeks back, we use the same model bench GTp does, and thunder quoted our bench reads 15-20 lower than gtp's. once again I am not bashing you I am stating the facts and its my opinion, if some one asked me what is a good budget head I would say TEA, If they asked me what power they make I would say about 20 hp, if they asked me who is the best I would say gtp and they make 40-50 hp. I am just saying what im seeing, If im making stuff up then you should have the board ban me from posting, but everthing i say I can back up. Its freedom of speech, its how I feel and when I tell the guys with all the mods and big cams they should have the heads checked becuase they could not hit 400 rwhp and they expected to make the power, Im going to after I see that they flow 20 less than advertised and stall alot lower than advertised, Im sorry to all I offend and to the tea fans out there but what do you expect me to do add some more excuses or say it the way I see it. I do admit the best power I have seen with tea heads are with smaller cams so maybe there is something to be said about matching the cam to the heads
Brian Tooley I am again sorry for seeming to bash you, there are alot of your customers that are very happy with your service but they always seem to say they expected more power
I think this will be the last post I write on this board. I dont like making people mad
goodbye
Old 08-12-2003, 02:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Tooley, I live in a nice little town outside new york city called the bronx. come on down some time, maybe at night you can hang with me and all my friends. let me know when your coming Ill give you an email with directions.
seriously, I dont meen to bash you and your product, this is only my opinion. but I say it the way I see it, im not going to kiss your *** like everyone else, when I see that at least 5 guys claim there heads flow 20 less cfm than advertised I cant help but build my opinion, when I see the only big dynoed cars come from your own dyno, I put 2 and 2 together. I gave you credit and said tea is not lying about there flows its proven your heads will read lower on a superflow. this was said by your own right hand man Brent
why dont you tell us who's heads broke through and and locked a motor, if evryone focuses on the negative then why havent I heard about this in a post. I would think if that happend the owner with the busted block would make a really nice post telling all about it, but nope no post
What happend to the post about your mystery 449 hp car? it was one of your pushers putting up a post{ oh my god I just some jerk off make 449 using tea heads with just a 224 cam. tea raising the bar} ohh more like raising the bs, thats why no one noticed it. along with another one of your boys and there post about there heads flowing over 300 cfm on an independant bench. hmmm let me guess who this biggest name in the head market in tx is? {what is gtp Alex} do i win a prize. Brent also wrote in one of his posts a few weeks back, we use the same model bench GTp does, and thunder quoted our bench reads 15-20 lower than gtp's. once again I am not bashing you I am stating the facts and its my opinion, if some one asked me what is a good budget head I would say TEA, If they asked me what power they make I would say about 20 hp, if they asked me who is the best I would say gtp and they make 40-50 hp. I am just saying what im seeing, If im making stuff up then you should have the board ban me from posting, but everthing i say I can back up. Its freedom of speech, its how I feel and when I tell the guys with all the mods and big cams they should have the heads checked becuase they could not hit 400 rwhp and they expected to make the power, Im going to after I see that they flow 20 less than advertised and stall alot lower than advertised, Im sorry to all I offend and to the tea fans out there but what do you expect me to do add some more excuses or say it the way I see it. I do admit the best power I have seen with tea heads are with smaller cams so maybe there is something to be said about matching the cam to the heads
Brian Tooley I am again sorry for seeming to bash you, there are alot of your customers that are very happy with your service but they always seem to say they expected more power
I think this will be the last post I write on this board. I dont like making people mad
goodbye
Ya know....you may or may not have had some valid points. But with the obvious bias, lopsidedness, and anti TEA stance its tough to weed through the content or your posts and take it as anything other than BS. Especially since the few times Ive done TEA heads here in FL they have been very consistant and both dynoed in the 417-425 range (little ole stage I's too). Your opinions do not appear to be backed up by fact. And really...to me...just the opposite. TEA appears to be as consistant as any other shop, make great power, and have an excellent price.

Quick Reply: TEA 5.3's and 232/236 dyno numbers