Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

ls1 vs lt1 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 vs lt1 question

I hope I picked the correct section since I consider this general talk, but..
Me and my buddies plan to go to the track in the next month.
One of my friends has a 95 T/A with full exhaust and a 4.10 gear..
I have a 98 SS with full exhaust only.

I was told by another one of my friends that the T/A is getting a set of heads (im told around 900 bucks) so I am not sure what type of heads, or even if their any good considering it seems as if for an ls1 the average is around 1,600 or so for a good set.
But.. my question is, how much power will heads only add to the lt1... and do you think he will run me down, and by how much?

Next question... what quick mod could I do to my car that I could keep secret from him to keep him from beating me? lol..
My car will soon be getting an ms4 cam with other goodies so I'm not too worried about loosing as I want to see what I can run practically stock, but I would like to beat the lt1. Let me know what ya guys think.

Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hidden spraywould be the quickest/easiest one thing lol like compucars bottle in a bag - I have had mine on 3 different cars in one night at the track

or if both of you would be planning on going on regular street tires get some drag radials - when you hook and are leaving him he will push harder on the go pedal and spin worse - race will be over that quickly
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by murphinator
hidden spraywould be the quickest/easiest one thing lol like compucars bottle in a bag - I have had mine on 3 different cars in one night at the track

or if both of you would be planning on going on regular street tires get some drag radials - when you hook and are leaving him he will push harder on the go pedal and spin worse - race will be over that quickly
Prob no help there because he has Drag radials, I'm actually the one with street tires but will b getting a set to use for track day. I'm not a huge fan of Spray just because its not "always" there so technically my car wouldn't have actually beat his. Do you have any idea of how much power a set of 800-900 dollar heads could add?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

I think you need more info on the heads, my buddy picked up a set of heads that are comparable to LE2's for 500 bucks. You could always remove the air filter while your at the track, i've known people that do it and claim to get a tenth or more.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I think you need more info on the heads, my buddy picked up a set of heads that are comparable to LE2's for 500 bucks. You could always remove the air filter while your at the track, i've known people that do it and claim to get a tenth or more.
I am just totally clueless about the heads lol. I'm not suppose to know that he is putting heads on his car, he's doing it because he wants to beat me, but claim that his car is stock with the exception of the exhaust and gears, so I thought its b funnier if I'm able to do something to beat him, and claim that I'm stock and he's just saying "wtf" in his head. Ha
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

As was stated, we haven't enough info to offer any opinions. We don't even know which transmissions are in your cars. Still, why not just run him as your car sits, and see how it turns out? Stock versus stock, you should have a good 50-60 rear wheel edge on him, so just give it a go.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drain the ww resevoir, run 1/2 a tank or less fuel, disconnect front swaybar. remove floormats and hatch area cover, factory jack. Also do you still have the egr and air pump?

What suspension mods to you have?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It REALLY all depends on what the heads are. Hell, edelbrock heads in stock form barely outperform stock heads. However, with a proper cam, ported factory LT1 heads can put out over 400rwhp with an untouched bottom end, even more with ported LT4 stockers (you'll hear of LE which is Lloyd Elliot of Elliot Portworks, and AI, which is advanced inductions-two big names in the LT1 crowd).

These numbers are also of course assuming supporting mods are there, which usually includes exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, tune, ect.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Is the LT1 getting a cam too? If he's just doing heads with the stock cam then they won't come close to closing the horsepower gap between the two cars.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with above you are leaving out so much information it's hard to help you... What transmission in the cars and so on. A quick thing to do that would help alot is to get a good tune.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All you have done is full exhaust on your LS1? Need more details.

Quick Reply: ls1 vs lt1 question