Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Looking for a shop for a Cam install/tune, and any ideas for a cam i am lost on this

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a shop for a Cam install/tune, and any ideas for a cam i am lost on this

I am in the middle of upgrading my car since i finally have time and money, I just put a Ported and polished Throttle body, Lt's, and soon a new Intake and i am trying to find a shop that can Install a cam and everything i need plus tune my car at a good price.
I do not want a very aggressive cam, something that will give me a good power increase but also keep my car drivable. I do not want to lose to much gas milage or streetability since it is my DD. I am not that sure on a ls1 how big of a cam i can put in so if anyone can chime in it would help. I do not want something to insane something with very good low and mid range, but streetability is very important. And also not a crazy price....
So if there are any shops that can give me a good deal on a install and tune or if anybody knows of a shop or any good cam and what i need to install maybe i can attempt it myself i just do not know exactly what all i need for this car i only ever put a cam in my old 68 chevelle that i had a bored 327 in it.

I was thinking a ls6 cam but i wanted something that would give me a little bit more power out of it....
Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Where are you located?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

If your anywhere near MA I would call slowhawk.
www.slowhawkperformance.com
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we always suggest the sponsors, the closer you are to one the better, there are plenty of people who can give feed back.

I have always been an advocate for doing it yourself but if your short on, space, tools, time, or knowledge, then you can seek help or pay for it.

Most cams can be run w/o tune for basically getting the car to the shop, with your m6 car, keep the revs up.

Any cam in the high 220's intake and low 230's dur are very NICE street cams that can put you near the 400 rwhp on a m6/10 bolt driveline and basic bolt ons.

Oh and if you ever put a blower on the car a z06 cam is a great off the shelf cam, but if it is staying NA you can be more aggressive and the car would be VERY streetable, sponsors can get it running right.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your best bet is to get with a sponsor to put together a package.I see a ton of people that buy Cams that are not what they need.We always talk to the customer and go over the goals before chosing the Cam.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frostbitten09
I am in the middle of upgrading my car since i finally have time and money, I just put a Ported and polished Throttle body, Lt's, and soon a new Intake and i am trying to find a shop that can Install a cam and everything i need plus tune my car at a good price.
I do not want a very aggressive cam, something that will give me a good power increase but also keep my car drivable. I do not want to lose to much gas milage or streetability since it is my DD. I am not that sure on a ls1 how big of a cam i can put in so if anyone can chime in it would help. I do not want something to insane something with very good low and mid range, but streetability is very important. And also not a crazy price....
So if there are any shops that can give me a good deal on a install and tune or if anybody knows of a shop or any good cam and what i need to install maybe i can attempt it myself i just do not know exactly what all i need for this car i only ever put a cam in my old 68 chevelle that i had a bored 327 in it.

I was thinking a ls6 cam but i wanted something that would give me a little bit more power out of it....
Talk to Fran at Rpm He will hook you up... Or Mikey at Rapid. Both great guys and do great work..
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd talk to Slowhawk. As the years go by different cam's come into the picture and tuning becomes more advanced. What was wild a year ago may even be too mild for you now. The lobes, durations etc are constantly fine tuned. Slowhawk has done alot of cams and still does so his advice is probably as up to date/efficent as you can get.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mikey at rapid here too.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

You give Fran a call at RPM in Claymont DE, I know he was running a special on Cams and installs www.raceprovenmotorsports.net
Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

I am located in PA west of philly about 40 mins. But i go up to ct/ma alot because my mom lives up there, so anywhere in PA MD DE NJ CT MA is fine with me. I just want to find a reasonable deal on it.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Cam deal is on my website.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Teching In

RPM is pretty close to you... Good prices.. Good work.. no sales Tax..
Old 01-01-2009, 09:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Give me a call Friday. I'll hook you up with a good deal.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbitten09
I am located in PA west of philly about 40 mins. But i go up to ct/ma alot because my mom lives up there, so anywhere in PA MD DE NJ CT MA is fine with me. I just want to find a reasonable deal on it.

Im about 20 mins south of philly. Let me know if i can get you some pricing together.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

you never called me back to buy the LS6 intake, setup your v.mail

no big deal, just coulda let me know your were not a buyer