Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Good head/cam combo? Need some help

Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good head/cam combo? Need some help

I tried posting this in the other sections and got no responses. I found a local deal and im not sure if it is good. The guy has ported and polished 241 castings with beehive valve springs, and a 230/226 cam 113+2 573 in. 570 ex. I don't know much about heads and cams but the guy is asking $400. I have stock 98 heads so these would be an improvement anyways. My car is a weekend driver/track every once in a while I was wondering if this is an okay setup. Mods are full boltons, intake, 100 shot, gears, 6 speed. Also what kind of numbers will this setup give me? Thanks guys
Old 01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a good price for the parts and would be a significant power increase assuming the p/p isn't a hack job. I would try to get more info on the heads if possible.

I personally feel for all the work involved in a head swap that it isn't really worth it unless you swap to a cnc ported 243 head or better. I'm sure some would argue that depending on the circumstances.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DocEwww
Definitely a good price for the parts and would be a significant power increase assuming the p/p isn't a hack job. I would try to get more info on the heads if possible.

I personally feel for all the work involved in a head swap that it isn't really worth it unless you swap to a cnc ported 243 head or better. I'm sure some would argue that depending on the circumstances.
Agreed. Straight LS2 for LS1 swap of heads will only realistically yield 10-12 HP (04 LS1 GTO vs 05-06 LS2 GTO)...not worth the money, time and effort. Now ported 243's would be worth it. Agreed also on who did the porting, etc.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will also need to change your valve covers and coil brackets if you swap to a 99+ cylinder head. It depends weather or not your gonna do the install your self weather its worth it or not.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay thanks for the responses guys it looks like I'll go ahead and buy them
Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The heads would be questionable.I would definitely change the springs and hopefully they are ported/polished by someone that knows what they are doing. I've had a few sets come through here that actually made less than a stock head.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The heads would be questionable.I would definitely change the springs and hopefully they are ported/polished by someone that knows what they are doing. I've had a few sets come through here that actually made less than a stock head.
Ya they were done by new england dyno so I would guess they did a good job, and as far as i know he just did upgraded the springs to the beehive kind. Hopefully this setup gets me around the 400rwph n/a mark when you do my car
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It matters who did them for NEDT since they aren't really a speed shop.Plan on the chance of changing out the 918 behive springs.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd just change the springs while you have the heads off to be safe, check to make sure the deck is level, CC them to see where they are at as well to make sure no crazy deck cutting has been done, if you check them and find out the intake runners are really huge there' a good chance that they're not gonna make **** for power, or be very sluggish on the bottom end.

One thing I have learned, if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Cam is probably fine as long as it's in good shape, that alone with a full bolton car probably could make 400 rw n/a as it is.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Launching!

For all the work involved in swapping heads and cam and all the money you will spend on supporting parts to do it right you should get a good set of heads --- not whatever you can afford now. At the very least a set of 243s to make it worth while and a custom cam designed for your needs. I went with cnc 243 heads and kick myself in the *** for not saving a little longer and getting a top notch set of heads instead of the $999 specials. Slowhawk can spec you a custom cam that will perform much better than something someone has laying around. Heads and cam swap is a lot of work for you or a lot of labor to pay someone -- you only want to do it once.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I will go ahead and do the springs and order some pushrods if i chhose to get them. Im going to bring a straight edgemake sure they aren't warped and I will check out the port job as well. I definately agree Ted, but i'm really on a budget, and now I have to save for a 12 bolt, and on the juice I should be over 500whp so thats where Im going to stop the modding, don't need to break more ****

Search this Thread