Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV
View Poll Results: What should i major in?
History Education
9.09%
History w/ a economics minor and political science minor
22.73%
other
68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Another wtf should i do with my life? thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another wtf should i do with my life? thread...

alright guys here we go again.... im a sophmore in college... still undecleared... and still have no clue what i wanna do with my life...

here r the options...

1. be a History Education major...

2. be a History major with a economics minor and political science minor

3. other...

i kinda need to deciede soon... what should i major in?? my interests are cars, um cars... sports... history... oh and did i mention cars? i was thinkin maybe become a history teacher... but they make nothing at all for $$ and i feel like if i minor in economics and minor in poly sci i will have so much more options... but then again i havent been out in the real world yet lol

oh btw i go to Westfield State College
Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanna make money then get a business degree...I haven't even graduated(have associates though) and I have turned two jobs down and just accepted a great job with a good base salary and very good commission...also get company phone, laptop and a gas and car allowance, I can also still take classes and continue on to my bachelors.. just my .02....I figure if I am gonna put the time in then I wanna make it worth it
Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why not major in economics?? I have a couple friends in finance making good money as well
Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

well im already 2 years in and have taken mostly history classes... i only need to take 8 more classes to finish my history major.... but i have taken a few economics classes... i could double major in economics and history... but i would cut it close.... i could major in history and double minor in economics and political science easily....
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your still young bro (coming from my old *** lol im "only" 23) find something you enjoy doing and try to make money at it. i did the history education major thing myself and after getting about as far as you are i decided i was more interested in being an HVAC mechanic (part time job at the time which turned into a career) which actually has spun off into me wanting to go back to school for mechanical engineering. you also (and most dont) dont need to finish school in 4 years or stick with what you started out with. remember your going to be doing this for a LOOONG time so if your having doubts now, might be time to do some serious thinking about what you might be interested in.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

NO! No history education...trust me on that one. History has been getting the axe curriculum wise around the PA-OH-WV area at least.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it sucks having to decide what you want to do for the rest of life at such a young age. It's a stupid system if you ask me. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do so the answer ended up being nothing. I still don't really have a career field, and I barely make any money. But I would rather be where I am now than stuck in a field I don't like and still paying off student loans for it. I guess I'm not really helping, am I...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

you should be a delivery man and deliver my swaybar
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A history major, is much like the art major that my ssiter went to uconn for

A waste of time. She is working in a bank as a teller for chirst sake, talk about a WASTE of 4 years of college. The only thing you will be able to do with that is be a teacher.

Change majors now, and use the history as a minor for something else, because it's not gonna get you **** for a job which should be the entire point of going to college yes?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

no hx major nobody needs them
science education math, chem bio, if u want to be a teacher
healthcare, esp, nursing or physician assistant
business tough times now but will level out in the future
sales
dude u need to work hard and sacrifice all the teachers i went to school with make 1/2 as much as me and work 2x as hard if they are elementary, english, history, arts.
bury your head in the books for a couple of years and it will be worth it.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Do you plan on going to law school later? Most lawyers I know have history degrees.

If not then I would change to something else, unless you like history that much and are willing to teach whether it be high school or college level that is up to you.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone explain to me --why go to college if you have no idea what you want to be/and work for it? What a waste of $$. I'd kill ya if you were my kid I know a ton of people that went to colledge and came out with a degree to do ****.Then some people went with a goal and are doing good.

When I graduated high school my parents offered to pay for any college I wanted to go to.I told them to save there $$ since I'd just drink it away.

Thats my opinion.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
8 second mod

drop out
Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

LOL don't worry education is not a requirement anymore to make a living under the Obama plan. Let all these other schmucks like me take care of you...

On a serious note: I had a guy work with me when I 1st started a corporate position doing Tech Support. He had a English degree. What that tells you is he got the job in an unrelated field, however he left the job (he sucked) and I was eventually promoted to another dept. So you really need to think about how a certain degree is gonna help you in a certain job. It does prepare you.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I entered college either. I wanted to be an Environmental Police Officer, which is near impossible to do, hard to get in, and pay sucks. So I went the computer route CIS. Took a bunch of computer/programming classes and a bunch of Business Admin/finance classes. That's basically a CIS degree. It pulls enough weight to get you into a good job, doing a variety of things in a corporate level.

While I was in school I took a lot of electronics classes because I enjoyed it. I got pretty far and my professor wanted me to take electrical engineering as my major. I was so far along w/ CIS though that I just stayed with it. One of the other reasons too is that an Engineering degree really requires more than a bachelors, to really benefit you should major in it. Same thing with History, or Psychology, or medical, you don't reap good benefits until you get that extra 4-8yrs of schooling on top of the bachelors and get your major/phd. I couldn't wait that long and quite honestly I didn't like school in general enough to put in the time/money LOL.

I have a firend that went to school to study aquaculture. He wanted to work in the fisheries and wildlife dept. So he got his Bachelors in it and guess what, he found no work other than min wage. So yeah pick what interests you but pick a degree that can support you financially.

Had I have been born even 10yrs ealier I'd probably be turning wrenches on cars, but since I got into computers I follwed that path knowing that it would benefit me in some way. If you're passion is history by all means stick with it, but unless you go really far into it you might have a hard time making ends meet, until you start teaching Harvard students.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Someone explain to me --why go to college if you have no idea what you want to be/and work for it? What a waste of $$. I'd kill ya if you were my kid I know a ton of people that went to colledge and came out with a degree to do ****.Then some people went with a goal and are doing good.

When I graduated high school my parents offered to pay for any college I wanted to go to.I told them to save there $$ since I'd just drink it away.

Thats my opinion.
Well the first couple years are all BS classes everyone needs to take. He still has time to pick his path, not much more though.

Any degree helps though. Although a degree in an unrelated work field will make you look less desirable. If you are going to put in the time/effort, I agree, don't waste it on some degree that really limits your ability to join the workforce at a broader level. The goal is to establish a realistic career not just add a line to your resume.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

well last night i crunched some numbers... and i realized since i am already so far into the history major that i mineaswell stick with it and get it... but considering the requirements for it r easy i think i will be able to double major in History and Economics... i honestly still dont know what i wanna do... and my part time job now is working on cars... and i do love turning wrenches but i wont lie it can be frustrating at times esp when ur rushed... i hate being rushed when i work on cars...

so now really the two best options for me right now are Double majoring in History and Economics or Majoring in History and double minoring in Economics and Political Science.... which option do u think will get me a good paying job? lol
Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Go and study whatever is required to be a gym teacher. Easiest job in the world. I should've been one lol.

If your in college go for somehting that is going to make you money so you don't regret it down the line. #1 goal for me in college was major in something that pay$ and only requires 4 years

In your particular case double major. History will do nothing for you.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Someone explain to me --why go to college if you have no idea what you want to be/and work for it?

You have to remember that these are young kids who are still trying to find themselves. And some never wanted to be in college in the first place but were pushed by their parent to go to college no matter what. And I could keep going but I won't.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah, just cause you major in something doesn't mean that's what your going to be working in when you get out of college. I majored in Biology, and now I'm the Supervisor of the IT dept. in my company! I didn't see that one coming!!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
You have to remember that these are young kids who are still trying to find themselves. And some never wanted to be in college in the first place but were pushed by their parent to go to college no matter what. And I could keep going but I won't.
amen brother, if i had to do it all over again i would of went to a tech high school and id damn near have my contractors lisence by now but it was never an option. high schools and parents basically get it drilled in your head that without college your going to work at mcdonalds which couldnt be any farther from the truth if your doing something in the trades. the best part for me, im making more money now than most of friends with degrees cause i have some experience and they dont. honestly, you kinda sound like you know that you dont wanna keep going but thats just my opinion.