Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Whats better trailer wise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats better trailer wise?

open trailer with a FULL deck or a open trailer with a HOLLOWED out deck?

whats the advantage to having a full deck? obviously the hollow deck is lighter and better for mpg.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less scary pulling on a full deck. My trailer has 2 rails about 2 feet wide, rest is air. It can be a little disconcerting at times.............
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

I love my full deck just cause you can haul anything on it.. I have had cars,bikes,tractors,furniture on it and lumber..
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't get all the road grime kicked up on the car for one. Full Deck allows you to tie down other stuff besides a car, less chance of rolling off plus i'm sure many other reasons.

My pops has a full deck...honestly not worth the extra weight to tow in my opinion. Also with the open deck you can get under the car to tie it down and/or work on it. I would rather have open deck if it was only going to be used for towing.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
Also with the open deck you can get under the car to tie it down and/or work on it. I would rather have open deck if it was only going to be used for towing.
Same here, I like that if I need to get under the car for something I can put it up on the trailer and take a look, sometimes fix a problem. It's a little more work but when I've had to move other things I made a deck out of wood just for those occasions but I mostly tow my car so its not a big issue for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

i agree with you guys on the hollowed deck. i got a lead on a 2002 16ft open/hollowed deck trailer with brakes for around $1800. I need a trailer for next fall for the ltx shootout in kentucky. and towing with a f-150 4 door i would like the lightest possible
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM
8 Second Club

Just sold my brother's 06 full deck on ebay for $1980...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i agree with you guys on the hollowed deck. i got a lead on a 2002 16ft open/hollowed deck trailer with brakes for around $1800. I need a trailer for next fall for the ltx shootout in kentucky. and towing with a f-150 4 door i would like the lightest possible
http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html

Brand new open trailer start at $1877. My buddy has one of there 15ft trailers and fits his 3rd gen and my lowered 4th gen just fine and the door clear the fenders. Trailer is nice and he has had his for almost 10 years.

I have a 18ft full deck now. Does weigh alot more but it is nice for hauling things
Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nhra_crazy
I love my full deck just cause you can haul anything on it.. I have had cars,bikes,tractors,furniture on it and lumber..
THIS

I tow a lot more than just my car/jeep. I can put my quad, furniture, grill/smokers for tailgating/cookouts the options are endless.

**EDIT**

I have an 18ft open trailer with a full deck, I would 100% recommend getting the 18ft, ask bgblockelcamino, the extra 2ft makes HUGE difference
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Launching!

With a little bit of welding couldnt you turn an open deck into a semi-full deck so you could atleast haul furniture and ****?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

thx for the link dshmitte. might go that route soon
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an open deck one. I can give you this advise: Get an 18 foot one. This way you have plenty of room to adjust the car to get the tongue weight for whatever you're using to tow with.

You could, also fit an ATV on the front of it sideways, if you put a couple additional cross beams for the thing to sit on, probably could even use the same ramps you load the car with to load the atv.

Make sure that you have a setup with the ramps that either are held on with a pin, or a U shaped piece that fits around a piece of tubing. Only issue I had with my Bri-mar was that the ramps just sat on the deck with a couple pins, and the tires, when driving up on the trailer would "lift" the front of the ramps until I put a couple bolts with washers in there that were threaded in. If I had a picture, I'd show ya what I mean.

Open deck I'd go with, and like I said, 18 foot so you can adjust the car's position alot, and if you wanted to down the road, you could put an atv or golf cart across the front of it sideways really easy.

Make sure you have a spare tire as well, and a toolbox in the front is nce too. Winch is nice too, in case the car breaks, you can still get it up on the trailer without trying to get 10 guys to try to help.

Also, if you order one somewhere, order it with a 16 inch rim, so you can get a GOOD trailer tire, they will last about 10 times longer, run alot truer, and the liklyhood of a blowout with those is next to zero.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

i would def get a closed deck. i made mine versatile. i bolt my tubing bender to it while doing cages lol. but like stated don't want to limit the use of trailer. i have hauled everything on my trailer. once you have the trailer you won't believe how much you use it.

i have the 16ft deck on mine. it is nice when picking up customer's cars and going through narrow places to jackknife the trailer. but it does tend to sway more when not loaded correctly. when i used cheeks trailer it def was more forgiving with 18ft deck. and can haul longer/larger vehicles.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Another possible option is both...a full deck with a removable center section for working on the car/saving weight when desired, best of both worlds.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Another possible option is both...a full deck with a removable center section for working on the car/saving weight when desired, best of both worlds.
I was thinking that too...does anyone make such a thing?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

I have used both since I haven't bought one yet. So far I like the open deck for the ease of tying down. You can also get underneath the car for any work that may need done at the track. It wouldn't be hard to use lumber to close in the center either, if you want to haul other things IMO.

If I wasn't looking to get an enclosed trailer I would go that route.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

i think thats what i might aim for. from my research looks like the open deck ischeaper also
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently sold my open deck 18 ft and bought a new 22 ft (20' + 2' dove) closed all metal deck trailer. I absolutely hated my open deck because I've never used it to work on the car from underneath and anytime I needed to haul something in the middle it was a pain in the butt. The ease of tying the car down wasn't any better because every track around my area has grass, dirt, or gravel. I made tie down points on the frame of my car so it's now very easy. If you're only towing a car with it I'd probably go the open route but anything else I'd buy a closed.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html

Brand new open trailer start at $1877. My buddy has one of there 15ft trailers and fits his 3rd gen and my lowered 4th gen just fine and the door clear the fenders. Trailer is nice and he has had his for almost 10 years.

I have a 18ft full deck now. Does weigh alot more but it is nice for hauling things
thats the one i have. my c-5 vette fits fine and doors clear fenders. tell them you want fenders as low as possible.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by paint it black vette
thats the one i have. my c-5 vette fits fine and doors clear fenders. tell them you want fenders as low as possible.
you have the 15ft open deck one? hows trailering such a short trailer? any sway/discomfort? would it be easy to use plywood to make it a closed deck? that sounds like a great deal, only thing is its 8 hours from me. also do they do financing or no?