Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Boring Daytona 500......

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boring Daytona 500......

Sorry, but IMO, the Daytona 500 was a total bore....a big build-up by Nascar (as usual) with a half-baked ending. A race w/that much exposure and $$, should've been completed--even if they had to do it the following day, Mon. When Nascar folds, it won't hurt my feelings at all. At least we got to see a pair of Rick Hendrick-owned 2010 Camaro pace cars riding around the track.... WJ
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Def feel the same way, I was really hoping the rain would hold out. Have tickets for the Richmond race, hopefully wont end the same way.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What`s up with the cartoons in the 4 hour pre-race show?
IRL F T W!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really didn't get to see any of the Daytona 500 but for it to have ended short due to rain really puts a bore on the event because it makes the leader as of the time it starts raining to get the win. On another note though it was good to see Kenseth get a win since his team has kind of become the forgotten Roush-Fenway car. Kind of like Hendricks #5 team.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

that was gay. if they can stop play during the 5th game of the World series and continue it the next day then there should be no reason why they couldnt do that with such an important race as the Daytona 500.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nascar in general is boring
skip to :28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JevDW11ZrF4
Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM
CARTEK Racing

this thread is redundant... NASCAR = BORING!

left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn...

oops its raining, we dont know what treded tires are, lets call it a day...

Real men race in sunshine or rain... and sometimes in a sand storm
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Totally BORING!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor

NASCAR is to Hollywood now and has been for the past couple of years, and that race was very boring. I think when they Nextel took over it just went down hill quick.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DutchmanSS
NASCAR is to Hollywood now and has been for the past couple of years, and that race was very boring. I think when they Nextel took over it just went down hill quick.
Yes, Nascar has become a 3-ring circus, esp. w/ Larry MacReynolds and Daryl Waltrip....2 nascar over-the-hill commentator guys who talk on the air, murdering the english language like they both never moved past the 4th grade, right along w/this Jeff Hammond guy who's just as bad....(boogerty, boogerty, boogerty.) Look for PLENTY of empty seats at the Cali. race this wknd, plus raceteams will be dropping out of the circuit aplenty as the season moves on w/economy continuing to fade and team owners and fans alike just plain tiring of the nascar bull.... WJ
Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

yea it was def boring.... i think the only cool driver is kyle busch cuz he brings at least some character to the sport....

oh and Jr def took out vickers and should of been penalized or fined for that!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sucks that it ended the way it did, but it could have been worse. Imagine actually attending the race, (hotel cost, travel cost, food/beer, tickets$$) That would suck to invest that much money and see a rain shortened race. I just had to change the channel and go to the fridge and get another beer.

By the way, if you want to see real racing go to your local short track.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

i agree short track racing is amazing
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people who dont like nascar. dont comment. Every year they are raising prices to go to these races. They should finish the race the next day for the blue collar fans that actually love the sport and have to pay hard earned money for the tickets. Again Thanks France!!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
this thread is redundant... NASCAR = BORING!

left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn... left turn...

oops its raining, we dont know what treded tires are, lets call it a day...
While I'm not going to try and compare the skills of the average Formula 1 driver to the average NASCAR driver nor even come close to comparing the cars themselves I will say that F1 can be boring at times as well...same three drivers winning all the time...very infrequent actual side by side racing (more like one guy simply chasing another)...races are short (compared to most Sprint Cup races at least)...and umm, don't they slow down to like only 30mph at some points during certain races on some courses?
At the Daytona 500 and even Talledega if you're going slower than 170mph at any point during the race then you're out, these guy are all out speed at all times!
And let's not forget the two road courses that they also visit during the year as well.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
While I'm not going to try and compare the skills of the average Formula 1 driver to the average NASCAR driver nor even come close to comparing the cars themselves I will say that F1 can be boring at times as well...same three drivers winning all the time...very infrequent actual side by side racing (more like one guy simply chasing another)...races are short (compared to most Sprint Cup races at least)...and umm, don't they slow down to like only 30mph at some points during certain races on some courses?
At the Daytona 500 and even Talledega if you're going slower than 170mph at any point during the race then you're out, these guy are all out speed at all times!
And let's not forget the two road courses that they also visit during the year as well.

dont knock the NASCAR drivers skills. you dont know what its like until youve done it. you yourself said youre entering a turn at 195, exiting same turn at 170+. do you think anyone here can actually do that without wiping out? not to mention while going at said speeds, youre narey a few inches away from 2 or 3 other 3400lb cars. as seen in this 500, the slightest touch will send you into the wall.

i do wholeheartedly agree that F1 can be incredibly boring. how exciting was it when schumacher won the pole, lead every lap, lead after ever pitstop, and wins the race....time after time after time? oh look, schumy got the pole....lead every lap....wins the race. 4 weeks later.....schymy got the pole....lead every lap.....wins the race. wee that was fun. im so glad that kraut finally retired. sure, he was probably the best F1 driver ever, but enough is enough. he had a near limitless budget behind him, with ferarri spending 100s of millions every year on it. im also glad F1 is finally tightening the screws on the rediculous spending thats been going on over the past 5yrs.

one of the reasons JPM left F1 is that its not a contact sport. the slightest touch of car to car and they both wreck. **** anyone who says they watch NASCAR for the wrecks. i watch F1 for the wrecks. i love seeing multi-million dollar cars disintegrate after the slightest nudge from another cars tire.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

what i originally wanted to say, was that i didnt like how kenseth cried and was so broken up over winning the race. he didnt win the race....it was given to him because of rain. he made one pass, but didnt run the entire race. he wasnt there at the very end. i think he should have had at least a little humility. he should have said something like 'well its not how we wanted to win it, but its a win nonetheless'.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
dont knock the NASCAR drivers skills. you dont know what its like until youve done it. you yourself said youre entering a turn at 195, exiting same turn at 170+. do you think anyone here can actually do that without wiping out? not to mention while going at said speeds, youre narey a few inches away from 2 or 3 other 3400lb cars. as seen in this 500, the slightest touch will send you into the wall.

i do wholeheartedly agree that F1 can be incredibly boring. how exciting was it when schumacher won the pole, lead every lap, lead after ever pitstop, and wins the race....time after time after time? oh look, schumy got the pole....lead every lap....wins the race. 4 weeks later.....schymy got the pole....lead every lap.....wins the race. wee that was fun. im so glad that kraut finally retired. sure, he was probably the best F1 driver ever, but enough is enough. he had a near limitless budget behind him, with ferarri spending 100s of millions every year on it. im also glad F1 is finally tightening the screws on the rediculous spending thats been going on over the past 5yrs.

one of the reasons JPM left F1 is that its not a contact sport. the slightest touch of car to car and they both wreck. **** anyone who says they watch NASCAR for the wrecks. i watch F1 for the wrecks. i love seeing multi-million dollar cars disintegrate after the slightest nudge from another cars tire.
That just about sums it up. I use to watch JPM back in the F1 days when he used to cut everyone off and wreck all the time. He needed to go to a contact sport such as NASCAR. I used to watch NASCAR when i was a kid right up until Earnhardt died and that was pretty much it for me. I grew up watching The Intimidator and he had such an impact on me when i was a boy. My parents still watch it and are into it but really its just not as exciting as it used to be. I tried to get into F1 and actually enjoy it, other then the WOW factors of those cars those races are 10 times more boring then NASCAR.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not a race snob, I enjoy any motor sport for their own uniquness. My thoughts on Sunday's race is that in the past 50 years NASCAR has yet to figure out how to run in the rain. They're not top fuel dragsters for pete's sake. Hell, if the open wheel guys can do it, as well as the Lemans series cars, then Nascar needs to figure out how to do it, and do it soon. As much as it would suck to sit in the stands while it rains, it sucks even more to see a race called at the slightest drizzle.

Next the whole Dale Jr incident... I'm sorry, if you are going slower and try to block, you get what you deserve.

Plus I'm tired of hearing how they want to make it less expensive for the owners, **** that. You want to win, spend the money. If I want to see budget racing, I'll go to a local track, but when it comes to the pro series, if you can't pay, then don't play. If that means a 25 car field, then so be it. Hell, most of the guys outside of the top 25 usually don't have a chance anyway, so honestly, just stay home.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
CARTEK Racing

Sure, take a track like Canada, they do about 42mph in hair pin then on the strait immediately fallowing they get up to 207-209 mph, then back on the brakes for a chicane. THATS Racing. 30mph, only in Monaco.

It used to be when 1 driver won all the time... those used to be the golden days! FORZA FERRARI!

Last year they had more first time winners and more different winners in general then in any season that I remember. in 18 races, they had something like 7 different winners. It was an excellent season in deed!

I understand they are going fast for the whole time, and it does take a lot of skill to not kill yourself when you are so close to other cars. But going fast in circles 250times is exactly what makes it boring as ****!

I wont discuss driver skill, while both series require skills that will always be far greater then my own, the best example I can think of is Jeff Gordon not being able to even hold his head up under breaking and turning in JPM's Williams BMW at Indy during a demonstration. They had to duct tape padding to his helmet to prevent it from wobbling like a bobble head doll in the cockpit. I don't see F1 drives having much trouble holding their heads up when braking from 212mph to 50 in less then 75 meters at Monza...

Either way, going in an oval over and over and over and oooooover is what makes the sport boring. It is also what makes it easy to fallow for drunk hicks...

I do watch the two road course races that NASCAR has every year.