Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

2007 HHR Detail

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the link for the 205?

What type of sealent were you looking at? The Klasse AIO has a sealent, the AIO is kind of line the pre-cleaner....paint prep....base layer. Not intended for protection but damn does it leave the surface ready to be sealed.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Humanitarian

Oh, Blackscreaming......if your worried about the rotary and dont want a weak random orbital. I have a 300.00 Cyclo. I could mail that to you with pads and what not, you could try it out and see if it has enough bite before you go purchasing anything. You can keep it for a month or whatever but it's in perfect working order so if it breaks I'd just ask you to do the right thing and return it in working order. The thing is built like a sherman tank, you wont have issues.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe sent you a message, I hear the Griots Garage new buffer is suppose to be good. The guy that helped me learn some detailing stuff just got one and tried it out on my camaro as his test. Thing was pretty damn powerful.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Whats the link for the 205?

What type of sealent were you looking at? The Klasse AIO has a sealent, the AIO is kind of line the pre-cleaner....paint prep....base layer. Not intended for protection but damn does it leave the surface ready to be sealed.
Sent you a pm Joe.

I used Menzerna Sealing Wax APO 60 and it is good stuff. But now they got a new one called "Power Lock Sealant". So far I've been hearing good things. Both are pretty much a precleaner/sealer. Those are polymer though and the klasse is acrylic. I do want to check out that Klasse though since you mentioned it, seems like good stuff and lasts a long time.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Humanitarian

Klasse last a very long time and I love the reflection, there is another brand called Werkstat that is supposed to be a better verison of Klasse. Everyone who likes Klasse said Werkstat is a step up from it and reacts the same way. I'm partial to Klasse so I havent bothered.

I always had way too many waxes, sealents and everything else. It costs too much and I dont notice the difference between anyone of them. For sealent I'll use Klasse SG or 4 star platinum, thats it. The same goes for paint correction. I only use the 3M Finesse It-III lineup (3 bottles) and as a backup I'll use 105/205 and Menzerna nano (another 3 bottle line up).

I could really just go with three 3 step 3M professional paint correction line up and call it a day....compound, polish and a nano type finishing cleaner. Then the 4 star platinum sealent and the Eagle One nano wax (plain out amazing stuff). That's only 5 items and it's complete from soup to nuts. Everyone has to buy 6 compounds, 14 polishes etc etc etc. I have done the same myself but when you find a good combo it's hard to try something new.

To have 10 different bottles for each step when they all do the same; I have found is a waste of money. It's cool to have all of the best stuff out there but I need what works and works quick....having multiple bottles of the same thing but different brands is useless to me right now.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Klasse last a very long time and I love the reflection, there is another brand called Werkstat that is supposed to be a better verison of Klasse. Everyone who likes Klasse said Werkstat is a step up from it and reacts the same way. I'm partial to Klasse so I havent bothered.

I always had way too many waxes, sealents and everything else. It costs too much and I dont notice the difference between anyone of them. For sealent I'll use Klasse SG or 4 star platinum, thats it. The same goes for paint correction. I only use the 3M Finesse It-III lineup (3 bottles) and as a backup I'll use 105/205 and Menzerna nano (another 3 bottle line up).

I could really just go with three 3 step 3M professional paint correction line up and call it a day....compound, polish and a nano type finishing cleaner. Then the 4 star platinum sealent and the Eagle One nano wax (plain out amazing stuff). That's only 5 items and it's complete from soup to nuts. Everyone has to buy 6 compounds, 14 polishes etc etc etc. I have done the same myself but when you find a good combo it's hard to try something new.

To have 10 different bottles for each step when they all do the same; I have found is a waste of money. It's cool to have all of the best stuff out there but I need what works and works quick....having multiple bottles of the same thing but different brands is useless to me right now.
Haha, yeah I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to a billion of everything. You just gotta find a good combo and stick with it and occasionally experiment. Like Wekstat, Blackfire Wet Diamond my buddy was telling me is supposed to be great. Now even Zaino has an "AIO" cleaner/sealent. Things get crazy.

I did hear that if you use the Klasse SG it can be tedious on dark color cars. You just gotta use what you like and know. I've taken a liking to Menzerna, the compounds and polishes break down as you use them while Megs 205 for example has the same cut start to finish. I think it may have the edge over Megs very slightly, is it worth the extra money? Ehh maybe maybe not. Results are very similar. Besides if you use one or the other and somebody says ehh you should have used "X" brand after you've just worked a car for 12hrs and it looks mint, then you should punch em' anyways
Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, Blackscreaming......if your worried about the rotary and dont want a weak random orbital. I have a 300.00 Cyclo. I could mail that to you with pads and what not, you could try it out and see if it has enough bite before you go purchasing anything. You can keep it for a month or whatever but it's in perfect working order so if it breaks I'd just ask you to do the right thing and return it in working order. The thing is built like a sherman tank, you wont have issues.
Beleive me, I may take you up on that offer. Funds been tight and expect to get tighter. I have not even made it to the track and thats very annoying I'll PM you about that.

The offer is very appreciated.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

As for different products, thats a whole nother issue. I was told recently that I need to expand on what products I use. I think like said, it is good to experiment but in the end you gotta go with what you know works and having a system thats designed to work together helps.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
As for different products, thats a whole nother issue. I was told recently that I need to expand on what products I use. I think like said, it is good to experiment but in the end you gotta go with what you know works and having a system thats designed to work together helps.
When i do the TA next (really needs no paint correction per say, other than a few swirls)

I'm gonna use the following
Menzerna 106FA
sealer, might try the black fire wet diamond or menzerna power lock
finish wax, ehh I got some Z2 laying around still, or nxt2.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 05-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Humanitarian

Black - What are you using and what are they trying to get you to expand on? I've been detailing for quite some time, I have spent money on an embarassing level and I have learned to not listen to what others say for the most part.

Dan - When you work on your car let me know and maybe I'll swing by, help or do the odd things so you can focus on the paint and get done in a timely manner. I need to really clay/polish both of my cars. A garage would be nice but the weather has been so perfect lately it doesnt matter.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Black - What are you using and what are they trying to get you to expand on? I've been detailing for quite some time, I have spent money on an embarassing level and I have learned to not listen to what others say for the most part.

Dan - When you work on your car let me know and maybe I'll swing by, help or do the odd things so you can focus on the paint and get done in a timely manner. I need to really clay/polish both of my cars. A garage would be nice but the weather has been so perfect lately it doesnt matter.
I will, but it will probably be a spur of the moment thing.

I just dropped another $80 for 106FA and that new power lock (had to try it)... now i gotta eat cereal and noodles, but atleast I'll have a shiny car.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Not so much an actual Product per say but some people like to trash on Meguiar's stuff and that if I am not using the best (they see as most expensive) then its crap.

I see a lot of people recommending/using Menzerna, Zaino, Klasse, Griots.

I just like the Meg's stuff as its proven, and for the most part avalible locally, and on their website I have access to speak to the guys who work for the co. and they can answer on the fly.

Like said earlier making tweaks to the process or using something in place of persay m205 I would be totally open to. I hate getting sometimes the opinion that

"If you don't use my XXXXX product, your car sucks"
Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a 50/50 test on the hood of my dads 1991 SL500 today.

Porter Cable
HD Uno via Orange
HD Uno via White
Klasse AIO

Before

Look over near the reflection of the lamps, you can see some of the etched on leaves. There were a few small ones and two big leaf etchings.

Some of the swirling

One of the small leaves

After

No more swirls, there is still some hazing in the top right because I had not completed that section yet.

I am pretty excited, while this car wasn't heavily swirled I was able to remove almost all of the swirling and the leaf etchings. All that was lefter was some random RIDS.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Humanitarian

Black - My fav paint correction stuff is 3M. I buy it locally and the stuff works wonders. The have a new formula and I'm going to get it. I have made some pretty nasty cars come out white glove perfect with 3M.

3M swirl mark remover (thats the actual name of it) would replace 205, it has bite and finishes down pretty well. I cant get it to finish to the point where the surface is ready for a protectant but I always always always used Klasse AIO before laying down protectant anyhow and whatever crap the 3M SMR left behind the Klasse AIO cleaned up without effort.

I'm a major 3M fan. Ever since I started detailing I have been, I've tried alot of other stuff and I always go back to the 3M.

Motoo334 - The car looks great, even if there wernt swirls or anything you can tell you bite into the dull clear and really gave it a new level of depth and reflectivity. I have a silver Subaru with metallic flake and I spend so much time on the car and it only shines so much. Grey, white, tan and those colors dont show how much time and effort you put into them. Do the same exact routine on a dark blue, red or black car and everyone thinks you spend 3x the amount of time on the paint. The right side of that hood is so oxidized and dull, ugh!

Last edited by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO; 05-19-2010 at 02:06 PM.