Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Weekend Detailing (BIG job)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weekend Detailing (BIG job)

It was big, it was rough, and glad to be working with a friend on it…

My Dads truck

2006 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab Z71, 100k+ miles… Seemed like it never had a coat of wax other then it was driven off the lot new…

Total man hours…24… Started Friday night, called it quits around 10:30, started again on Saturday around 8:00 and finished around 5:00

There are still some scratches in the clear, but they were very deep and would require sanding but that’s beyond my friend’s and I abilities at this point… Hood also had quite a few rock chips in it.

Overall the truck came out good, worlds better then it was, and was by far the best result we could have hoped for considering where it started…

Materials Used...Oh yeah two of everything…and 3 washes total.
Menzerna S34A
Menzerna PO91E
Menzerna PO106FA
Menzerna Power Lock
Mequiers Clay Bar Kit
Mequiers NXT 2.0
Uber 5.5” Orange Pad
Uber 5.5” Green Pad
Uber 5.5” Blue Pad
Meguiers Foam Applicator pads
Uber Microfiber towels
Misc Chrom Polish
Misc Tire Shine
Mequiers Gold Glass Car Wash
Gilmor Flowmaster II Foam Gun
Microfiber Wash Mit
Bug and Tar Sponge
Whole roll of tape lol

What we started with…

Yeah it’s that bad…

Worst clay bar gunk I have ever seen…

Getting prepped for a 50/50

Left fully compounded, Right side not…

Menzerna Power Lock being applied

Finished Product

Phewww (Even cleaned up the engine bay a bit)

Next weekend we got a black STI to do, My buddy Scott and I work good together and it makes the work funner, our summer weekends are quickly turning into a part time job I did have time to make the bmw autox Sunday atleast.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work on that thing, that was pretty rough!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Teching In

That looks great. the truck looks like brand new again
Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks.
This one was a ton of work. I might even top coat it with some wax in a little while. I had to wait for the power lock to cure for a day, but man that stuff is impressive, Its never coming out of that pad though. The most water repellent stuff I've ever used. Claying the car took a lot of effort, those lower panels were horrible. I'm real happy with the results based on what we had to start with. My Dad is too.

I'm trucked out for a little while that thing was almost worth the effort of 2 reg condition cars.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great, job. I bet it took some time with the DA.

I really like the transistion from swirl city to smooth as glass!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good, nice work.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Great, job. I bet it took some time with the DA.

I really like the transistion from swirl city to smooth as glass!!
swirls are an understatement lol. It got some much needed love.

Yeah its does take time with the DA, but graduating to the rotary, I dunno. Maybe one day, but i like the PC and I feel confident using it at my experience level. Just takes longer for sure.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Lower panels on any vehicle can ruin clay bar. I generally hit with bug and tire remover and a soft brush and lots of water as regular street grime can ruin wash cloths and clay bars. I had that happen on my Buick..... uggghhhh
Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

keep showing me this impressive work dan and i'm definitely going to have to hire you... my Black T/A has gotten some swirls, despite my best efforts.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

looks great
Im just curious how much do you charge? That seems like ALOT of product and time.
Also what is DA?

Last edited by Esco99; 05-24-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nikon1999
keep showing me this impressive work dan and i'm definitely going to have to hire you... my Black T/A has gotten some swirls, despite my best efforts.
I'm impressed with the materials I've been using. We are doing a black daily driven STI this upcoming weekend. It should have a ton of swirls
Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

looks good buddy. keep it up
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Esco99
looks great
Im just curious how much do you charge? That seems like ALOT of product and time.
Also what is DA?
DA = Dual Action, Also stands for Random Orbital as that's what it does. These kind of buffers work with a counter balance to make the disk kind of jiggle when it spins, that way you are WAY less prone to burn paint. Takes longer than a rotary, but it essentially removes all risk of burn damage, or unintentional paint cutting.

Some cars don't need 3 compound passes, some only 1 or 2. I pick a spot and work it until i see what compound I need to start with if I'm unsure. Yeah on top of this truck being a big vehicle it needed paint correction on most of the truck and all the grit and grim claybaring took a long time.

To put it into perspective. (I work with my friend to try and get things done in one day and take our time)
My Envoy took 14hrs, so with 2 people, so 7 hrs (2 compound passes, quick claybar)
My friend did his s2000 by himself in about 5-6hrs. (small car minimal correction).

So it really depends on the car and whats needed. I knew his truck was gonna be a job. We probably used nearly $80 in materials on this truck.

I don't necessarily want to quote actual prices, cause we don't claim to be professional, just a hobby, but a truck like this with all the paint correction would probably be a $300ish job. Most cars probably $150-200. Again these are just ballpark numbers and its all exterior work. Believe me we wont be paying the bills on this income, it pays for materials and lunch for the week.

As of now I know of 7 - 8 cars that are on the proposed list of to-do's. I'll be doing my wifes car next month too, G6 coupe, she's been bugging me.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM
9 Second Club

Wow!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
DA = Dual Action, Also stands for Random Orbital as that's what it does. These kind of buffers work with a counter balance to make the disk kind of jiggle when it spins, that way you are WAY less prone to burn paint. Takes longer than a rotary, but it essentially removes all risk of burn damage, or unintentional paint cutting.

Some cars don't need 3 compound passes, some only 1 or 2. I pick a spot and work it until i see what compound I need to start with if I'm unsure. Yeah on top of this truck being a big vehicle it needed paint correction on most of the truck and all the grit and grim claybaring took a long time.

To put it into perspective. (I work with my friend to try and get things done in one day and take our time)
My Envoy took 14hrs, so with 2 people, so 7 hrs (2 compound passes, quick claybar)
My friend did his s2000 by himself in about 5-6hrs. (small car minimal correction).

So it really depends on the car and whats needed. I knew his truck was gonna be a job. We probably used nearly $80 in materials on this truck.

I don't necessarily want to quote actual prices, cause we don't claim to be professional, just a hobby, but a truck like this with all the paint correction would probably be a $300ish job. Most cars probably $150-200. Again these are just ballpark numbers and its all exterior work. Believe me we wont be paying the bills on this income, it pays for materials and lunch for the week.

As of now I know of 7 - 8 cars that are on the proposed list of to-do's. I'll be doing my wifes car next month too, G6 coupe, she's been bugging me.
$300 is a great price for an Suv or truck like that. It definitely takes a lot of time and products. Menzerna especially, that stuff isn't cheap. I would charge between $400-500...at least if you were doing it yourself, that is a lot of correction, even for two people.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Fellow autopian?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by motoo344
$300 is a great price for an Suv or truck like that. It definitely takes a lot of time and products. Menzerna especially, that stuff isn't cheap. I would charge between $400-500...at least if you were doing it yourself, that is a lot of correction, even for two people.
Yeah its a bit low, but again since were more hobbyists its still tough to justify shop prices. I'm figuring around $10 an hr for each of us plus products (includes water/electricity). So it would have been $320. (remember we didn't do inside, other than door jambs)

You are correct though, a detail shop would have gotten you for nearly $500 on this work. But they would have probably used a rotary too and done it faster.

99'CajunFirehawk157,
Not yet anyways, too many forums, lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

That price is certainly fair. I am doing a fellow Moderator's car this Friday. And will post results. I am at this point should be getting a tool by mid July and then I really can cook.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yeah its a bit low, but again since were more hobbyists its still tough to justify shop prices. I'm figuring around $10 an hr for each of us plus products (includes water/electricity). So it would have been $320. (remember we didn't do inside, other than door jambs)

You are correct though, a detail shop would have gotten you for nearly $500 on this work. But they would have probably used a rotary too and done it faster.

99'CajunFirehawk157,
Not yet anyways, too many forums, lol.
Gotcha, I was talking about doing everything, including inside. That is pretty fair then.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

i need someone to detail my trans am... haha

great work!