Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Fixed my HVAC issue, We got COLD AIR!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Fixed my HVAC issue, We got COLD AIR!

Since I had to actually work the Monday after the 4th and its kinda dead in the office, I thought I'd post a quick story.

Back in the Winter I decided that my Vengence Racing Ported Fast 90/90 was a bit over kill and I needed some cash for other things so I decided to take cash and a partial trade on a used LS6 intake.

Previously I posted about my broken fuel line lock from the rail to line and after 8 hr's of ******* with it, we cut it and I got a new factory fuel line, and also a correct, plastic fitting to unhook these locks.

Well since the swap I had a Lean code (Bank 1 and Bank 2) which depicted MAF issue OR that I am getting UN-metered air in the motor. The odd part was that it ran fine, only an occasional stumble in 6th rolling 2,500 rpms on the freeway and if I hit the gas.....

Also during the Spring I never use my Air Condidtioning or Heat, or even the defrost vents. But 1 month ago it was HOT after work and I had the car and no A/C was blowing and seems like it was a weak stream, and I could not switch which vents to use.

After Diagnosing that it was most likely due to the intake swap. I felt back there and felt on the "T" fitting that the HVAC line was not hooked up when I reinstalled the intake in a hurry (idiot).

I had the intake off this past friday in 30 minutes flat and thats with all the rats nest of a engine harness in the way. Using Blue Painters take to keep the rear bolts up and for the 3rd time no damage to the oil pressure sensor.

I found that the hard/flexiable line was crushed between the cyl head and intake which probably created a bad leak on one cyl and the small (1/8") "T" fitting wide open.

Being crushed I had to cut the line and find a replacement. Took a quick spin to Autozone and $0.89 later I had a line that fit snug, and I used 6 inches. Some white Lithium Grease on the hard line end and put it on the "T" fitting. I had her back together with in 25 minutes or quicker there after and had her blowing hard A/C immediately upon the start up and the car seemed to behave a lot better.

What was annoying was that the car compensated for the un metered air and only in rare situations did the car have a stumble.

A nice result was not only COLD A/C. That the car with the new slicks left a sick strip on a road that I frequent. I have to go back and check it out but I will be soon back to the track for some M/T ET Street Radial times and in the fall its time for Bias Ply's

Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to the track??? I thought were chained up in a cave somewhere.

When are you heading up?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Formula413
You're going to the track??? I thought were chained up in a cave somewhere.

When are you heading up?
Yea, not quite chained up. The wife is extremely supportive of the hobby but with her losing her job and the replacement put basically food on the table, we could not be spending beyond the means.

She has a job that pays nearly as good as mine, and 5 minute drive and we have double benefits to pay for everything. Now we dig out of debt and go from there.

I managed to get most of my parts on deals and steals.

I have a UMI TQ Arm Relocation Kit to install soon, and a DS Safety Loop. At the same time I want to do a oil change and clutch fluid change and set the Rear sway bar. I will have to set the Shocks at the Track which should be 2's in the front and 7's in the rear and do some runs.

I will PM you when I am ready which I would like to say by August.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love fixing stuff for cheap money, you'll be glad you have the a/c blowing cold this week!

Notice much of a difference between the ported fast and ls6? I have a ported 90/90 from vengeance and have contemplated trying an ls6.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by nikon1999
Love fixing stuff for cheap money, you'll be glad you have the a/c blowing cold this week!

Notice much of a difference between the ported fast and ls6? I have a ported 90/90 from vengeance and have contemplated trying an ls6.
Oh I was loving it yesterday. Eastside Tune Spot on and cam is mild so it was not cranky at all!

To be honest, I really did not feel a difference between going from the Fast back to the LS6. I am sure there is a power diff if dyno'ed but I think some of the Low End TQ came back and sacrificed some top end hp. The car still pulls pretty damn good for it self.

I can dump the clutch on the street and it does leave a sick strip and thats always fun.

I'll have to heat up the M/T Street Radials when I get to the track to see if they got any real bite left.

IMO if you have one of the original Fast's that persay did not have a MAF hold down provision or NON stainless hardware, I would get rid of it. I got like 800 + a LS6 for my Ported/Painted Used intake with Matching 90mm TB. In the end I ended up doing ok.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about ripping my AC out
I've used it maybe 2 times in the last 5 yrs... Just pull the t-tops and drive with your shirt off LOL
Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a/c??? That's the first thing I had Don rip out when he got my car LOl

Now i'm kicking myself in the ***

It's not so bad if you have another car to drive, I drive the TBSS on the hot days
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We threw the AC back in my car last week.Screw sweating my *** off.Car still runs perfect on the street with my 106LSA cam.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I've been thinking about ripping my AC out
I've used it maybe 2 times in the last 5 yrs... Just pull the t-tops and drive with your shirt off LOL
You do not want to see that.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We threw the AC back in my car last week.Screw sweating my *** off.Car still runs perfect on the street with my 106LSA cam.
Exactly, if the tune is spot on the car does not skip a beat.