Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Looking for a new auto insurance company rant - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for a new auto insurance company rant - any suggestions?

I've been with Geico for quite a few years now. I like the customer service and haven't needed to make any claims, but friends and family who have made claims with them have always been happy with how the situation was handled. I also have a 100% clean driving record and only have my daily driver on the policy with them (2009 Honda Fit - my bike is with Progressive because Geico is outrageously expensive for bike insurance).

They started low when I signed up with them years ago and went up a little bit every six months, but acceptable amounts, so I stayed with them. Now they've decided to increase my rate by 9% for this 6-month period (so 18% for the year) out of nowhere. They told me that my car's rating symbol just changed two levels (ie the category it falls into that tells them how much it costs them to fix it), so that justifies the rate increase. I disagree.

We all know it doesn't work like this, but in my mind if you've got a loyal customer who's been with you for years, had multiple vehicles listed for years, has a sparkly clean driving record, and has never made a single claim with you, if anything you should REWARD that behavior. Well, I guess that's not the case with Geico. I could deal with the small increases every six months, but an unjustified 18% annual increase for a customer who's done nothing but given you a shitload of money for years and has never taken back one penny from you is unacceptable.

Therefore, I've been getting quotes from other companies and will be swapping for my renewal at the beginning of August. I'll be getting quotes from all the big ones (Progressive, All State, State Farm, Nationwide, etc), but it looks like Progressive is taking the cake with this one, and they haven't even figured in my multi-vehicle discount for having the bike on there yet, so I doubt they'll be beat price-wise.

My question to you is what insurance do you have and what have your experiences been like? Any horror stories, positive stories, suggestions, comments, etc? I guess Progressive-specific feedback would be appreciated since I'm leaning towards them at the moment, but advice on any company would be appreciated since I haven't made the decision yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an underwriter for an insurance co and sad to say but insurance companies are always finding ways to take rate as we call It. Like everything else. Costs parts salaries losses etc go up so must rate. On Rare occasions we give rate back. But its few and far between
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

insurance companies are a funny industry. you'll get differant reviews from differant people often about the same company. i have state farm and they have been great...low rates and they've stayed low for 5 years (actually have gotten lower over the years). im paying $185 a month for full coverage on the G8 and my wife's 05 4Runner which i think is decent for my area (i live in the City).

my suggestion would be to check the coverage you have now...get all the number and do a little shopping...95% of the time your insurance company will ask you why you need the info...tell em straight up you need to do some shopping...see how quick they work that rate for you.

if you're shopping for your Camaro and have a garage try giving Grundy insurance a call. i have my T/A insured through them...no mileage limitations...drive when and where i want to..its insured for $35,000 (You pick the value), fully covered with no deductible...$435 a year and my state farm couldnt touch that..i was paying $1600 for it through them.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nationwide for everything. Never had a problem and its not expensive.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

i currently have progessive and they r cheap cheap cheap. but once ur $ amounts. i just got into a fender bender and i believe it was my fault. i filed a claim and they have handled it nicely so far but i havent heard from them in over a week so i dn whats up with that. but overall i like em. TNT ima look into that grundy insurance. i need better coverage for my camaro
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

For the Grundy insurance you have to be 25 and have a garage. That is who I have my Firehawk insured with. Very easy to deal with and gave me no hassels when I had to file a claim last year.

I have nation wide with my Truck and I have never had any problems with them other than raising my rates after having a minor parking lot fender bender that did NO damage to my truck and that was my First at fault accident with them in 10 years of having nationwide.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STATE FARM only way to go
Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

I had Progressive for a year, then switched to Allstate as they were about 75% the cost of my Progressive policy for the same coverage/deductible. Then they started raising and raising my rates so now I'm back with Progressive at half the cost of what my Allstate policy recently was. So now I have my Camaro, my Cobalt, and my bike all through Progressive. The monthly breakdown is about: Cobalt - $140 Camaro - $75 Zx6r - $25. That's full coverage on the cars and liability on the bike. Camaro is paid for but I still have a lien on the Cobalt. 4 Points on my license, one accident, 21 year old male.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

www.grundy.com
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Ha, almost sound like mine. Was with geico and switch to allstate recently. Amazingly how much i was being rapped by geico. I now pay half of what i was paying geico.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trexaurs
Ha, almost sound like mine. Was with geico and switch to allstate recently. Amazingly how much i was being rapped by geico. I now pay half of what i was paying geico.
yea but see thats what insurance companys do. you may have gotten a better rate with Allstate but others might not. Allstate wanted $1000.00 more a year to insure my 2 cars. so what works out for you usually might not work for someone else...for whatever the reason may be...its fucked up.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for state farm. No issues with claims.

When I was 24 I paid less than $700 for 6 months for full coverage on both a 2010 camaro and 99 grand prix. Now I sold the GP and pay $450/6 months for the camaro.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Ive had progressive for years. Ive got my 05 xterra, and my ss on the same policy and I only pay 200 a month for both.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by Trexaurs
I saved 1,400.00 a year on 1 car by switching from Safety to Geico.... I checked Allstate and they would of saved me 1,200.00.

Safety rapes......HARD
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

I just switched to Progressive this year, at a substantial savings. Haven't had to deal with any sort of claim yet. One option they had that was nice was that you could pay for an entire year in advance, even though they only do six month policies, thus avoiding any rate increases for an extra six months. The only knock I have heard on them yet is that they like to source used parts for repairs rather than OEM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Grundy on the Camaro.
StateFarm on the other cars.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Grundy for specialty stuff all the way, everything else, don't be afraid to ***** around, I'll change companies at the flip of a hat if the rates go up 1 dollar... have been doing that for a while.

Metlife cut me a BIG deal when we did the house, cars and life insurance together. Saved me over 600 a year... I was surprised it was that much.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

**** progressive, they sucked me in for 1 year then DOUBLED my premium for no real reason other than saying Oh massachusetts rates must of went up. How do you go from 2200 a year to 4500!!!!

I went with AAA i get discount for being a member, discount for getting apartment insurance.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

F'n hate MA, I can't use grundy until my car is atleast 15yrs old to qualify as a collectors car. Otherwise I would use them.

For the 3 cars insured I think my premium is about $1600 a yr. Which I really can't complain about. Its just that if anything happened to the TA they would cut me a check for what 13k, that would suck.

I know insurance is all about location and driving record for the most part. Shop around, I've had the same insurance since I was 16 and my rate has never gone up for no reason, only down. Having homeowners helps too when you go through the same agency.

All insurance companies are crooked anyways, car, health, or otherwise, thats the name of the game, its like paying off the mob.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by Formula413
only knock I have heard on them yet is that they like to source used parts for repairs rather than OEM.
I was told by the body shop who worked on my Subaru that by MA state law, if your car has under 20,000 miles they MUST use brand new OEM parts. Beyond 20,000 miles they can legally do as they please as long as the work comes out nice. Kind of messed up, the parts no matter what that were on your car before the accident were likely OEM. I dont think they should be able to use anything but new OEM parts unless they can prove the part that was damaged wasnt OEM.